Old 23 April 2002, 10:47   #1
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Handheld GPSs

The distillation of opinion last time this matter was discussed here, was that the Garmin 12 at £100ish, was definately the one to go for.
Now that my Magellan 3000 has decided to pop it's clogs, I'll go for the Garmin unless technology has already changed things in the last few weeks.
How about a poll on who uses what Keith?
Old 23 April 2002, 11:31   #2

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Good choice Brian..... I have one as a back-up and the batteries seem to last forever. I have dropped it on pontoons and in the water countless times and still works perfectly, as you said, simple like you!
Old 23 April 2002, 11:55   #3

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll

Hello,

Yes the debate on hand held gps came to the conclusion that the Garmin12 was great value for money. They now cost about rrp £124.00 (about 1/4 tank of fuel for Brian and Cyanide) so you may get them a little cheaper on the web.

I am VERY pleased with mine, it certainly suits my requirements.

I understand that they are often used as back-ups for larger on board gps's.

Keith (poll by make?) Hart
Old 23 April 2002, 12:25   #4

Town: Portishead, Bristol
Boat name: "
Make: Ribcraft, Cowes Mari
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 90hp 4-strok
Send a message via AIM to jools
GPS Plotters

I've got a GPS MAPIII handheld - very usefull - the map is great when navigating on land - Its got base roads for the whole of Europe.

I have added Waypoints for various bouys down the Bristol channel and plotted a route going between them - works well on the Pride of Bristol and would be suitable as a backup - but its a bit small to read bouncing along on a RIB.

For our new Ribcraft, therefore, I am looking to get a GPS Chartplotter - just a small one, but one I can download charts too.

Any comments on C-Map vrs Garmins BlueChart welcome - I can't work out how big a "region" is when you buy the CD - is that the whole of the UK charts - or one section like the English Channel?

As an aside - last time I flew back from Spain I had my GPSIII propped up in the window showing our speed, hight and location on the Map when the stewardess came and asked what it was - and then told me that it might interfer with the planes navigation!! - she went to ask the pilot if it was OK to use - and came back to ask what our Lat and Long was!!!!!
I assumed the pilot wondered why someone was reading Lat and Long on a flight so she took it up to show him the "Map" feature - 20 mins later it came back and all she said was "He wants one!!"

I did point out that on BA you can select the GPS channel on your monitor - on JMC its Bring your own!

Ayway.... Tips on Chartplotters please
Old 23 April 2002, 19:15   #5

Town: Northants
Garmin 12xl v Magellan 315

I have used a Garmin 12xl for approx. 3 yrs, and more recently been trying several Magellan 315's at work. About the same price.

My personal experience is:

Garmin 12xl:
Quicker acquisition of sats than the Magellan.
Facility for an external aerial which the Magellan doesn't.
Uses batteries like they are going out of fashion - (I can get through 4x AA in under 12 hours - but that may be because its an older version).
I prefer the key pad on the Garmin which is 'above' the screen rather than below it.
It has never let me down, and seems robust.

Magellan 315:
Much lighter than the Garmin (probably because it only has 2xAA batteries).
Dispite only 2xAA, it lasts as long as the Garmin.
Magellan has a better resolution screen.
Although the Magellan takes longer to acquire sats, the built in aerial seems to keep the signal better.
In my opinion the Magellan menu system is more intuitive, although in truth they are both pretty easy.
I particularly like the screen in the Magellan with the large text display (must be an age thing on my part!) - ideal for RIBS

All in all I'm not sure there is a great deal to choose between them. If I was buying again I would probably opt for the Magellan simply because of its simplicity, but it still has to prove its robustness over a long period.
Old 24 April 2002, 16:16   #6

Town: Newfoundland
jools

I've been looking at Chartplotters again too. As far as I can tell on the Garmins (leastways the 182/232) they take cartridges as opposed to downloading from disc. The G-chart cartridges are based on Navionics data. If you go onto www.garmin.com and follow the links to "bluecharts" you can get an online catalogue that shows coverage for the UK etc. I could get away with one chip for all the East Coast cruising I do including going across to Belgium if I were so minded!

The other plotter I've looked at is the Navman 5500 which is a cheap colour plotter & takes CMAP chips.

Cheers,
Alan
Old 24 April 2002, 17:02   #7
JCW

Town: Essex
Boat name: Inflatable
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha F6
Send a message via AIM to JCW
Chartplotter info.

Jools
I have recently brought a Garmin 176 portable chartplotter which takes the Blue chart cards. This is a small plotter but good enough for my small Rib. The colour version I steered clear of as even Garmin themselves did not recommend using it on an open boat due to the 'wash out' of the screen
I have three pre-programmed Bluechart which I am very impressed with. It certainly covers all the areas I use my Rib at.
I believe you can buy a CD with all the Altlantic coverage on and you then buy a blank memory card and connection cable to download from your PC. You then buy unlock codes to enable you to use the areas of your choice. To me this looked more expensive but gives you better opportunity to keep the charts updated.

JCW
JCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2002, 21:21   #8

So how much were your 3 "Charts" and how har do they cover.

I would possibly be looking for to start with

Bristol Channel - because thats where I live! - and there's plenty of bouys to look for

I-O-W area - because thats, I guess a popular spot for ribbing

+ Where else are we planning trips to!

The cost of the charts soon add to the cost of the GPS
Old 24 April 2002, 23:18   #9
JCW

Jools,
Plotter was £355 + VAT and £175 +VAT per card.
CLICK BELOW to see content of cards.
http://www.garmin.com/cartography/bl...sp?RegionPK=60[/URL]

I purchased MEU001R, MEU002R, MEU004R.
All came from
MARINE ELECTRONIC INSTALLATIONS LTD

JCW
Old 25 April 2002, 09:58   #10

Town: Newfoundland
Jason

I look forward to seeing your plotter next weekend - I have looked at that one myself but I reckon the screen might be a bit small for blind gits like me!

Cheers,
Alan
Old 25 April 2002, 12:33   #11

Town: Copenhagen
Boat name: Nemesis
Make: CAPE 79
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki 250 4 stroke
Send a message via AIM to Rene Send a message via MSN to Rene
Jools,

I have also bought the Garmin 176 C (color). It's a nice feature to have color's on all the markings out there. But as JWC says it's not an easy task to read the color display outside on the rib. I'm using the backlight all the time, and but the contrast up a bit. This seems to bee working. When I spoke to Garmin, they didn't tell me that this was going to be a problem, they told me that they had tried this many times before and only had problems when the sun was direct on the display (Bull sh..).
I would have return it, if it was not because I orderd mine from the US (I was less than half price), And yes I do have a road map of the US on this, but it dosn't matter, since I'm using the bluechart on it. (I might go to the US some times, and then I could use it for Road navigation)

I think you should have a look at the Garmin 182. I thing Grame has this one. It's the same setup but a bigger screen. And we all want bigger screens (Chart plotter, Computer monitor, Televison.....)

Rene
Old 25 April 2002, 12:51   #12

Town: Worcestershire
Boat name: Not Yet Named
Make: Avon SR 4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40 HP Yamaha Autolub
Graeme does indeed have the 182.

(I am using his screen name wie he is away- ISDN connection!)

The 182 we chose was the standard one - not colour - actually on the advice of Garmin at the Boat Show, who advised us that the colour display can be unreliable on an open boat.

The 182 has proved excellent, and in our opinion the Blue Chart is even better than the C Map. The unit itself is easy to use, easy to see and works very well.

The 176 would have been or choice had we wanted apotable unit - but the display was too small for a pitching and tossing RIB.

Sian
(PB2 Passed and ICC Received)
Old 25 April 2002, 20:45   #13
JCW

Alan,
No problem having a play with the Garmin 176. Is there any more details regarding next weeks cruise?

JCW
Old 25 April 2002, 20:52   #14

JCW

Bit confused - though this is off of the subject - arent you coming to Anglesey next weekend? You seem to suggest meeting up with Alan, who I know isnt coming to Anglesey.

G
Old 26 April 2002, 12:04   #15
JCW

Graeme,
My apologies, I informed Jono that my plans had changed. Decided to join the BIBBOA East coast cruise as I have recently become a member. Also the departure slipway is near to my location so less travelling on a Bank Holiday appeals.
Look forward to meeting up again soon.

JCW
Old 26 April 2002, 22:05   #16

Town: Leatherhead
Graeme (aka Sian)

Do you also carry "real" charts as well as the 182?

I was thinking of a 182 for my beast and Garmin tell me that I can use the same cabling that I have installed for my GPS128; just change the mounting bracket.

Anyone want to but a 2yo Garmin GPS 128 with new antenna and power lead (after I've swapped the routes & waypoints)?

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2002, 22:55   #17

We hve a full set of Imray charts for all areas where we cruise.

We plan our journeys on the charts at home, note the waypoints then transfer the waypoints to the GPS for the route.

We also carry Scanned and Copied A4 Size charts with Waypoints on reverse in case of GPS failure.

In this way we keep up our chartwork, and get the best of both worlds.
Old 28 April 2002, 23:27   #18
JCW

Brian,

As I now have a chartplotter and a Backup GPS48. I am willing to sell you my Garmin GPS12 for £60 if you want it.
Let me know

JCW
Old 29 April 2002, 05:56   #19

Town: ATHENS
Boat name: SUN KISS II
Make: Nuova Bat 9 Falcon -
Engine: Outboard Mercury 115
Send a message via Skype™ to batfalcon
Garmin GPS Map III,

is a great unit. I 've used it for the past 5 years with none trouble what so ever. Recently I saw at http://garmin.com the new GPS Map V, with new features and updating capability via CD. I don't think that you may add a C map cartrige on this apparatus, so you won't get THE detail but the update feature is a must these days.

batfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2002, 12:29   #20

Reply to Alan who asked me what Chartplotter I am looking at (on another thread - but better placed in this one!!)

Hi Alan

Probably looking at the Garmin GPSMAP 188 Sounder see here

Reasons
Nice big display
Black and White shows up better than colour on an open RIB
Money saved on having seperate GPSMAP and Fishfinder can be used to get bigger display
Takes new "BlueChart" maps - the new standard
I like Garmin!

I'm sure people will have comments on combining the fish finder and GPSMAP - anybody else got this setup?

Cheers
Jools