Old 25 May 2009, 15:40   #1

Town: Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Pendragon
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 suzuki
Handheld GPS

Looking for a hand held GPS.
Have been pointed in the direction of a Garmin 76CXS, any views on this or alternatives ?

Only require basic operation, speed, compass, and ability to mark way points. If I can load / download charts as well, this would be fantastic
Old 25 May 2009, 16:13   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
I use the Garmin colour hand held as a reserve and have loaded the charts for my area. It is a good bit of kit and when I had a problem Garmin was first class support. All the Garmins I think can do what you are seeking but if you can afford the colour screens it is better than B/W
Old 25 May 2009, 21:43   #3

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
I've used the Lowrance H20 for a couple of years, and I have very few complaints. It's been a great piece of kit that I've used in the Falklands and South Georgia, Gibraltar and the Med, all around Scotland, and I brought a boat up from Plymouth to the Clyde with it- acquires quickly, easy to use the menus, good level of detail that works pretty well on zooming in (couple of funny jumps from one level of detail to the next, but generally fairly smooth) and good battery life. My biggest complaint with it is that it doesn't automatically scroll and keep the boat's position on screen - or if does I haven't found out how
Attached Images

Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2009, 00:12   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I used to own a Garmin 76C until it "disappeared". Found it generally easy enough to use and most (but not all) things were intuitive. Would have replaced it with another one if I could get it on offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSkills View Post
My biggest complaint with it is that it doesn't automatically scroll and keep the boat's position on screen - or if does I haven't found out how
Ian - I am fairly sure it will as I have its baby brother. My biggest complaint is that the manual is crap and the user interaction is perhaps not the most intuitive.
Old 28 May 2009, 13:02   #5

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
I like my Lowrance H2O, using NauticPath at moment but plan to go to Navionics unless I scared off. Lowrance have just brought out 3 new handhelds with touch screens but no dedicated marine version yet.

Tough choice really I liked my Garmin GPSMap 72 and was going to get a GPSMap 76C until the Lowrance was on offer. One niggle that even Lowrance could not sort out was tide and current icons can disappear unless you reset a mode in one of menu screens I remember which one sometime later.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote