Old 27 December 2013, 08:07   #1

Town: Hurghada Egypt
Make: Atlantic 21
Length: 6m +
Hand held VHF Which one?

I'm looking at getting a hand held VHF as a back up.

Which is the most suitable?
Old 27 December 2013, 08:33   #2
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Anything from Icom or Standard Horizon will do the job well, preferably a M91 or HX851 as they have full DSC capability.

http://www.rib.net/forum/f37/icom-m9...51e-59244.html
Old 27 December 2013, 09:33   #3

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
I have both the Icom m91d (a dsc handheld) and the m23 (icoms entry level handheld). Both are really good radios and if either failed or got lost I would probably replace them with the same models again. Be aware dsc handhelds need charging more often than non dsc.

I've heard very good reports about Standard Horizon but never used one myself.
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2013, 14:39   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Orkney
Boat name: Skylark
Make: Bombard 500
Length: 5m +
Engine: 60hp Yamaha outboard
MMSI: 235091893
Very happy with my HX851 (Had for 2 years) - having DSC capabilty clipped to your lifejacket to give an accruate GPS fix to the CG and surrounding boats at the push of a button when you really need help, is well worth the extra cost. I have a PLB too, but great to have such a capable backup vhf unit.
Old 27 December 2013, 16:05   #5

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
One that floats is a help as ive found out... Twice!!

Nemo is using mine somewhere around the needles!!
Old 27 December 2013, 16:05   #6

Thanks guys.

I'm in the Red Sea. Egyptian waters. There are no real emergency services and most vessels don't even have a VHF radio.

There are some quite substantial boats out here, liveaboard diving vessels with up 28 guests and 1 dozen crew and a VHF is only recommended not mandatory.

No chopper will come unless someone pays for it up front in cash. No private helicopters are allowed, only military.
Old 27 December 2013, 16:50   #7

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon TW View Post
Thanks guys.

I'm in the Red Sea. Egyptian waters. There are no real emergency services and most vessels don't even have a VHF radio.

There are some quite substantial boats out here, liveaboard diving vessels with up 28 guests and 1 dozen crew and a VHF is only recommended not mandatory.

No chopper will come unless someone pays for it up front in cash. No private helicopters are allowed, only military.
Not much point in having a VHF then
Maybe a PLB would be more useful if it hits the fan
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2013, 16:52   #8

Boat name: Hysucat
Make: Hysucat
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Suzuki 175's
MMSI: 235102645
RIBase
Given the lack of radio use where you are why not just use a mobile then. When I worked out there (Sharm) we just rang our mates on other boats for assistance, never used the radio at all.

Even on the way out to the Thistlegorm when our engine stopped we just waited about 20 mins and another boat came along and towed us there, then back again. No one goes out when it get lumpy either.
Old 27 December 2013, 18:00   #9
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Doesn't sound like a VHF would be a great investment in these circumstances!
Old 27 December 2013, 18:52   #10

As I said I know very little but I've been reading.

A PLB is no use, Nobody will come. Mobile doesn't work in a lot of the areas, especially up the Gulf of Suez. A VHF will work up the gulf and there's a lot of international shipping.

A VHF may also work to shore, 20 miles or thereabouts from the boat's Radio and can be picked up by a hand held on the shore. If possible I can get a couple of hand helds and put them on the local boats when I'm out on the RHIB. It's me that I'm worried about
Old 27 December 2013, 19:03   #11

RIBase
Given your not likely to be far from shore, in a known location, from a known point - other boats and your shore location will know your dive plan and times etc. I dont see the point of a VHF in your situation.

Will you go outside phone signal range ? Do you have more than one boat in your organisation / arrangements with other boats ?

If you got a VHF you need other boats / base to have one. Otherwise its pointless.

What does the recompression chamber have ? Ours had a mobile phone, so all the pot divers I called in were done via the phone on the way back.
Old 27 December 2013, 19:51   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon TW View Post
A PLB is no use, Nobody will come.
Really?
You list your location as both UK and Egypt. If you registered the PLB in the UK the signal would go to Falmouth and then Falmouth would presumably request assistance from Egypt?
Not quite sure what happens why Egypt says to the UK who's paying for the helicopter...
Quote:
Mobile doesn't work in a lot of the areas, especially up the Gulf of Suez. A VHF will work up the gulf and there's a lot of international shipping.
In which case a DSC set would make some sense as they are more likely to notice your distress alert. As far as I know they are then bound by international law to offer assistance. I don't recall that law saying they needed to ask who was paying first...

Quote:
A VHF may also work to shore, 20 miles or thereabouts from the boat's Radio and can be picked up by a hand held on the shore.
That's optimistic. Your boat aerial is not terribly high up. Even if the shore station receives the message they may well struggle to talk back to you with only 5/6W and a low aerial. So you are left 'hoping' they heard you and have put a plan in place for help.

Quote:
If possible I can get a couple of hand helds and put them on the local boats when I'm out on the RHIB. It's me that I'm worried about
Mmmm...
But are they worried about you enough to pay attention. Sailing club galley has a VHF radio in it so that committee boat can warn them when they start finishing people and they can get the dinner's on. I think in all the times I've called the galley I've had an answer once, and that was actually from the club bosun who happened to be in the queue for coffee! Point being they don't listen to the general traffic so miss the stuff aimed at them.

Always good to be reminded that we get things pretty good in this country... Hit the red button and no-one ever asks who's paying for your rescue before they scramble a chopper and a lifeboat...
Old 27 December 2013, 20:11   #13

RIBase
Id not bother.

Our practice was to use mobiles on each of our boats and shore base. We all knew each others dive plans. Called in each dive in/out and were able to cover for each other when problems came up.

There was a "rescue" rib to take divers to the pot, but it was a commercial operation funded by holiday insurance. You called them up by phone.

John Liddiard - Underwater Photographer and Diving Journalist - Picture 02_159_18

The weather was such we never went out when it became difficult - but that was mostly because the boats were so crap and the skippers unwilling to risk anything more than a mild chop.
Old 27 December 2013, 21:29   #14

Town: Luxembourg
Boat name: Kalish
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.3
Engine: 175 Mercury Optimax
RIBase
ICOM ...got mine from 7 years now ...nothing to say except that it s still perfectky working and the battery too !
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2013, 02:53   #15
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimix View Post
The weather was such we never went out when it became difficult - but that was mostly because the boats were so crap and the skippers unwilling to risk anything more than a mild chop.
*sighs*
Those were the days. I had some excellent diving out there in the early 1990s. Udo Fischer was quite the star at the time. I was on the Sally when his first GPS was delivered - there was no stopping him after that.

The boats were absolute sh1t though
Old 28 December 2013, 04:28   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimix View Post
Id not bother.

Our practice was to use mobiles on each of our boats and shore base. We all knew each others dive plans. Called in each dive in/out and were able to cover for each other when problems came up.

There was a "rescue" rib to take divers to the pot, but it was a commercial operation funded by holiday insurance. You called them up by phone.

John Liddiard - Underwater Photographer and Diving Journalist - Picture 02_159_18

I said it before and I'll say it again. There is no phone signal on any of the networks. Only a Sat phone would work. When you're in the water I don't think that any phone would be of use.
Old 28 December 2013, 08:48   #17

RIBase
Well you will have to get several radios then. Big one with a tall antenna for the base, then hand-helds for each boat. You could then talk to base, or rely via each other.

Standard Horizon or Icom are both very good.
Old 28 December 2013, 15:06   #18
RIBnet supporter

Town: Orkney
Boat name: Skylark
Make: Bombard 500
Engine: 60hp Yamaha outboard
MMSI: 235091893
Hi Simon.

In that case I'd be looking to buy the 25W fixed units to install on the boats rather than handhelds (5 or 6 Watts) for greater coverage, esp as the latter can be cheaper, plus less likely to go flat due to lack of re-charge by colleagues.

And then have a 25W fixed unit on your boat, plus a handheld clipped to you.

DSC would be a very good idea too so that they will alert even if the audio is turned down by the other boats.

Very bad / sad news if you think no-one would come for a PLB alert... Not doubting you, just a shame to hear it.

Of course there's the licensing issue in your country (or is that a joke too?!), but in your situation I'd be very tempted to install asap so they can be used in an emergencyif need be... though you'd do well to have the training (esp for DSC etc) anyway.

As backup a satellite phone could be an option, but you'd need to look for something as waterproof as possible, or put in a watertight case.

Take care

Steve
Old 30 December 2013, 00:36   #19

Town: Darlington
Boat name: Dory
Make: Crompton Seasprint
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mariner 200 outboard
Santa brought me an Icom M91 for Christmas.

Really pleased with it. DSC, GPS and portable too, (it can come with me on other boats).
I've had a few bad experiences going on other people's boats and bits of kit breaking down.
This thing comes with me (as I will be wearing it), all the time I'm above water.

Had a couple of plays with it so far and it does everything it was supposed to.

Merry Christmas.

Lee
Old 30 December 2013, 05:37   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copinsay View Post
Hi Simon.

In that case I'd be looking to buy the 25W fixed units to install on the boats rather than handhelds (5 or 6 Watts) for greater coverage, esp as the latter can be cheaper, plus less likely to go flat due to lack of re-charge by colleagues.

And then have a 25W fixed unit on your boat, plus a handheld clipped to you.

DSC would be a very good idea too so that they will alert even if the audio is turned down by the other boats.

Very bad / sad news if you think no-one would come for a PLB alert... Not doubting you, just a shame to hear it.

Of course there's the licensing issue in your country (or is that a joke too?!), but in your situation I'd be very tempted to install asap so they can be used in an emergencyif need be... though you'd do well to have the training (esp for DSC etc) anyway.

As backup a satellite phone could be an option, but you'd need to look for something as waterproof as possible, or put in a watertight case.

Take care

Steve
Thanks for the constructive post Steve. I have a fixed unit on my boat, well not quite as I have a my boat in a container on it's way here. The Radio is sat in my toy cupboard along with the GPS chartplotter. If either were fitted on the boat then there would be a big problem trying to get it in to the country.

The hand held's are for back up and the big boat. Where I'm wanting to out and about there is no mobile signal and yet there is one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world and there are some Military bases on the Islands so I'm hoping that a handheld would work if the worst happened.

I'll go for the Icom units and also a PLB, although I'm really not sure if anyone will come other than my mates and family. I've been trying to find out what happens when one is activated in the Red Sea. if it is UK registered then the it will indeed be Falmouth who deals with it and they should will contact these guys. International Cospas-Sarsat Programme
This is when it all goes to shit. However Falmouth will phone my UK mobile first to ensure that there hasn't been a mistake. So I just leave my UK mobile with someone on shore who can manage an incident and tell them my plan prior to setting off.

A livaboard went down in this area last week, not a small boat a big 30 odd metre boat. It was on it's way from Sharm El Sheik to Suez and it sank in front of Shokair, an oil terminal. From there you can see the ships going up and down the Suez Channel. The five crew got into a liferaft which must have had a problem as the only survivor raised the alarm after swimming to an oil rig.

2 found, 3 Egyptians still missing along with sunken boat - Politics - Egypt - Ahram Online

From the sea you can see land on both sides of you, Oil installations and huge ships one after the other. Seems a shame that the alarm was raised by a survivor swimming to safety.