RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
1. On my own
Hmmmm. When you arrived in the IOM you had a Lady onboard, or was she a Selkie you collected enroute?

Old 14 December 2010, 12:34   #12

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Length: 5m +
Engine: none
MMSI: none
I might have known I'd give you an "in" somewhere in that post.
She's not been called a Lady much but, as is probably obvious to most, I meant one boat not just me in that boat.........

Old 14 December 2010, 15:46   #13

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
I've used mine a bit (much more useful now I have a chart card...) but the range seems pretty limited. It's very much line of sight too - with the boat parked up by my house I usually don't see an AIS return from boats in the outer harbour which is only maybe two or three miles away though with a small ridge line in the way - but VHF reception would be 100% at the same position.

I'm not sure what to make of this - the AIS in the office has a range of about 50 miles but with a high tower mounted aerial so it must be a limitation of the aerial or receiver I think.

The other really annoying thing is that when you get close to another boat (less than about 1/2 mile) you get a collision alarm on the Garmin 556s and though you can switch it off, it insists on coming back on again every time you switch the Garmin back on, and every time you get close to a boat I guess it is a safety feature but it's a PITA not being able to turn it off as on a RIB you regularly pass close enough to other vessels to trip the alarm without being any risk so it is stupid.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2010, 16:06   #14
RIBnet supporter

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
The poor range you are experiencing suprises me. The second photo in my OP was of a vessel 8 miles or so from me and the other side of a headland. I suppose it boils down to the strength of the transmitting boat's equipment as much as the aerial of the AIS200

There was something about collision alarms on Panbo.com a little while ago. I assume you can adjust the distance threshold before it sets off.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2010, 16:36   #15

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
It's a nice piece of kit alright. I have AIS on my boat; it's an interesting gadget as are MARPA and navtex. I have radar as well and would recommend it in an instant; I have it on all the time overlaid on my plotter. There's nothing more eerie and disorientating than sailing in fog so radar can be very reassuring then. Given where I tend to go nowadays the boat's sonar get used more than anything. Pity Raymarine sounders are sh*te; it's packed up on me more than once at MStM as this clip shows:

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
Old 14 December 2010, 17:24   #16
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ0KYZ View Post
It's a nice piece of kit alright. I have AIS on my boat; it's an interesting gadget as are MARPA and navtex. I have radar as well and would recommend it in an instant; I have it on all the time overlaid on my plotter. There's nothing more eerie and disorientating than sailing in fog so radar can be very reassuring then. Given where I tend to go nowadays the boat's sonar get used more than anything. Pity Raymarine sounders are sh*te; it's packed up on me more than once at MStM as this clip shows:
What's your Raymarine sonar setup? They've just released a firmare update for the DSM300 to cure various problems
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2010, 02:28   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
What's your Raymarine sonar setup? They've just released a firmare update for the DSM300 to cure various problems
Thanks for that. Yes, the 300 has been plagued with voltage intolerance problems since its launch. This has been discussed for for some time now on several US forums. I'll check out RM's website for the software update and get it loaded asap. Thanks again for bringing it to my attention.
Old 15 December 2010, 06:10   #18
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Thanks for that. Yes, the 300 has been plagued with voltage intolerance problems since its launch. This has been discussed for for some time now on several US forums. I'll check out RM's website for the software update and get it loaded asap. Thanks again for bringing it to my attention.
At the risk hijacking the OP (sorry). Depending on your serial number, I believe that there was a hardware mod for earlier units to overcome the brownouts, but I could be talking borrox. You will also need to update your head unit software to be compatible with the new DSM firmware. It's all here
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2010, 13:22   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
At the risk hijacking the OP (sorry). Depending on your serial number, I believe that there was a hardware mod for earlier units to overcome the brownouts, but I could be talking borrox. You will also need to update your head unit software to be compatible with the new DSM firmware. It's all here
Thanks for the link; it's exactly what I'm after. I like the way RM describes the problem as a "horizontal scroll issue". The sounder stops working without warning and at the most inconvenient of times, that's the blo*dy issue. Anyway, I'm too terrified to upload the software myself. My boat's coming out in February, I'll get an engineer to do it for me. Incidently, I make video diaries for Mrs GJ0KYZ nowadays; she's who I was talking to in the Mont St. Michel clip. She refuses to go there anymore as she finds it 'boring'.
Old 15 December 2010, 14:32   #20
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
She refuses to go there anymore as she finds it 'boring'.
Ah well, not to worry, at least that's the rat sitter sorted, eh?