Town: Hythe
Boat name: BBQ
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 40
MMSI: 235080184
Gps72, DSC and Log conection.

Hi all

I have on my console a Garmin gps72 and a Cora DSC VHF. I am told if I get a data cable this will connect the two together and allow me to hard wire the power to the gps.
I have ordered the lead from fleabay as my chandler didn't have one.

Question is, is it simply a matter of conecting the two wires together and they will communicate or will I need to go through some complicated setting up process?

Also. I am interested in getting one the "easy log" Los that connect to a nmea feed and don't require me cutting a hole in my bost for the paddle wheel. Would I again just plixe the wire to the one one the data leade from the gps.

Your thoughts as always, very greatly appreciated.

Glenn
Old 27 June 2010, 09:08   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn collins View Post
Question is, is it simply a matter of conecting the two wires together and they will communicate or will I need to go through some complicated setting up process?
there will be two wires from the gps to the vhf, if you want to run from the boat battery you'll also need to connect the power. You may need to set the GPS to transmit NMEA data on the relevant "port". I'd expect the radio is automatically "listening" but if you have any problems it would be worth checking if there are any settings. Its possible that one or other won't specifically call it NMEA 0183 - but will let you set all the options - in which case you want baud/speed 4800 bps; parity - none; stop bits - 1; handshake - none/off.

That defines how the two parts talk to each other, but you also need to consider what data the GPS is actually sending. I'd expect the information the GPS sends to default to the right "sentences" (content) that the VHF needs - but again if you run into problems it would be worth checking this in the manual.

Quote:
Also. I am interested in getting one the "easy log" Los that connect to a nmea feed and don't require me cutting a hole in my bost for the paddle wheel. Would I again just plixe the wire to the one one the data leade from the gps.
I'm not quite sure what information this is going to tell you that the GPS doesn't? To my mind these are really "repeaters" for large boats when the GPS is say in the cabin and you want a speed readout at the cockpit or vice versa.

In terms of linking these into the existing GPS - VHF wiring; then in theory one GPS "talker" can transmit to multiple "listeners". I've never done it but I am aware that people do get problems with earth loops joining all of these together.

I assume these can listen to the standard "position" setences and compute the speed from them - but it might be worth checking that they use the same sentences as your VHF (or that you can configure the gps to send (the correct) multiple sentences).

Some radios can display speed over ground (SOG) etc on their display - which would save you buying an extra display if you just don't have enough room on the gps display to fit that in (or its hiding in a locker). It would be small compared to the Easy Log type display - but actually how often do you need to check it? and you'll be closer to it than the average easy log reader (who is a couple of m's away at the other end of the cockpit). [or most (all?) will display the position (something you probably rarely need?) which might free up display space on the GPS for speed etc?
Old 27 June 2010, 12:16   #3

Town: Hythe
Boat name: BBQ
Make: Avon
Engine: Yam 40
MMSI: 235080184
Thanks
Old 27 June 2010, 20:26   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Your thoughts as always, very greatly appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
there will be two wires from the gps to the vhf, if you want to run from the boat battery you'll also need to connect the power. You may need to set the GPS to transmit NMEA data on the relevant "port". I'd expect the radio is automatically "listening" but if you have any problems it would be worth checking if there are any settings. Its possible that one or other won't specifically call it NMEA 0183 - but will let you set all the options - in which case you want baud/speed 4800 bps; parity - none; stop bits - 1; handshake - none/off.

That defines how the two parts talk to each other, but you also need to consider what data the GPS is actually sending. I'd expect the information the GPS sends to default to the right "sentences" (content) that the VHF needs - but again if you run into problems it would be worth checking this in the manual.

I'm not quite sure what information this is going to tell you that the GPS doesn't? To my mind these are really "repeaters" for large boats when the GPS is say in the cabin and you want a speed readout at the cockpit or vice versa.

In terms of linking these into the existing GPS - VHF wiring; then in theory one GPS "talker" can transmit to multiple "listeners". I've never done it but I am aware that people do get problems with earth loops joining all of these together.

I assume these can listen to the standard "position" setences and compute the speed from them - but it might be worth checking that they use the same sentences as your VHF (or that you can configure the gps to send (the correct) multiple sentences).

Some radios can display speed over ground (SOG) etc on their display - which would save you buying an extra display if you just don't have enough room on the gps display to fit that in (or its hiding in a locker). It would be small compared to the Easy Log type display - but actually how often do you need to check it? and you'll be closer to it than the average easy log reader (who is a couple of m's away at the other end of the cockpit). [or most (all?) will display the position (something you probably rarely need?) which might free up display space on the GPS for speed etc?
Quote:
Thanks
...and that was the simple answer!
Old 27 June 2010, 20:30   #5
RIBnet Supporter

Thinking about the Repeater, I can see an application for one directly in front of the Helm. The big readout of SOG and COG has to be handy in the lumps.
Old 28 June 2010, 12:33   #6

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Glenn,

I've got much the same as you plan to have (Garmin- VHF) and yes, Pol is right, you do need to muck about in the settings menu on the garmin - MAy be slightly different to mine (I'm using a GPS12) and the USB stick with the book of words on is not in my pocket today, but the high level theory still holds -

System - Comms (may be called interface)- scroll around 'till you find NMEA/NMEA, memory says it defaults to 4800 baud, but if not, select that & fiddle until that's wat it shows then <enter> .

Throws out lat / long / date / time and may squirt speed / heading out as well. What the VHF understrands I;ve no IDea, I;ve got an ICOM VHF, which only uses lat / long / time / date. .

You'll maybe only have 3 wires, in which case the NMEA -ve and Power -ve will be on the same wire. The power +ve lead will probably have an inline fuse.

Other good thing is the backlight will stay on indefinetly if you are on remote power, so can use it at night without having to prod it every 15 seconds!

As for the log, not sure your reasons for, but the garmin will remmber your dist / trip time / average speed etc, so could use it as a standalone unit? I do that & transfer the data onto a spreadheet for "overall time" type stuff (e.g engine hrs) when I get home.