Old 12 August 2008, 16:16   #11

Town: Oakham
Boat name: Blue Wave
Make: XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 115
I know itís not about being wiped out by a ferry but where did you go during your 2 weeks? Iíve put a thread up http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25754 and I guess you have just been to the part of the coast I am looking about. Any pictures, details on moorings, fuel, B&Bs, Pubs, camping etc would be great. Iím driving up there in a week to spend a couple of days looking around.

Old 13 August 2008, 14:42   #12

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Radar sets, especially larger units, have been been known to scramble (and in some cases, kill) GPS antennas. The older Lowrance units (early LGC-2000's especially) were prone to this (later ones were hardened a bit, I think; then they went to LGC-3000's.)

Don't know if any other manufacturers were subject to problems from this.

jky
I still need to talk to lowrance about this when I get a mo. Will post any response I get!

Thanks.

Old 13 August 2008, 14:52   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon.esp View Post
I know itís not about being wiped out by a ferry but where did you go during your 2 weeks? Iíve put a thread up http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25754 and I guess you have just been to the part of the coast I am looking about. Any pictures, details on moorings, fuel, B&Bs, Pubs, camping etc would be great. Iím driving up there in a week to spend a couple of days looking around.
We were based just outside benderloch. Loads of campsites round there as well as pleanty around oban.

Places visited were (in no particular order):
- Tobermory (kids wanted to go to Balamory)
- Lismore and then craignure (mull)
- Connel bridge and loch etive (awesome playing in the falls of Lora)
- Easdale and Oban

plus general playing about.

Easdale has a great pub / restaurant on the water with good food.
Oban - pleanty options
Mull - Craignure again has pub that dores reasonable food
Tobermory - Lots of choice (some better than others) and the infamous mishnish!

For fuel - Pleanty garages about, although fuel on mainland is significantly cheaper than on mull. Oban being the cheapest.

Launching - puffin dive near oban I believe is a good places. Many of the campsites have slipways.

Haven't yet got any real photo's off the camera yet but it's a really nice cruising ground.
Old 13 August 2008, 15:46   #14

Town: Easdale
Make: Humber/Quinquari
Length: 10m +
Engine: Outboard
Similar problems

We have also come across this as a problem. message GPS module not responding. On some occasions a full reboot will start the unit functioning. Other times one must resort to disconnecting the GPS module then reconnecting it with screen power off.
We are using Globalmap 7500, Lowrance 110C and Lowrance 112C. Problem is across these units.
I would be interested in what Lowrance have to say and how to prevent it

We are fortunate to live and work at Easdale mentioned above. The Puffer Bar/Restaurant/Tearooms have just been refurbished and are now under new ownership. The harbour at Easdale Island is an ideal stop off/somewhere to visit. It is very sheltered with plenty of space to tie up alongside. Clyde Cruising Club replaced the channel markers last winter. There is new B&B available at Garragh Mhor tel 01852 300513
You can launch at Ellenabeich (Easdale mainland side) across the stones but you do need a 4 x 4 and it is not really suitable for large heavy RIBs. There is plenty of trailer parking space in the back car park but it is worth noting that the ferry ramps are in constant use so one needs to tie the RIB up on the end wall and just avoid the ferry ramp.
Tony Hill
Old 15 August 2008, 17:30   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Hill View Post
We have also come across this as a problem. message GPS module not responding. On some occasions a full reboot will start the unit functioning. Other times one must resort to disconnecting the GPS module then reconnecting it with screen power off.
We are using Globalmap 7500, Lowrance 110C and Lowrance 112C. Problem is across these units.
I would be interested in what Lowrance have to say and how to prevent it

We are fortunate to live and work at Easdale mentioned above. The Puffer Bar/Restaurant/Tearooms have just been refurbished and are now under new ownership. The harbour at Easdale Island is an ideal stop off/somewhere to visit. It is very sheltered with plenty of space to tie up alongside. Clyde Cruising Club replaced the channel markers last winter. There is new B&B available at Garragh Mhor tel 01852 300513
You can launch at Ellenabeich (Easdale mainland side) across the stones but you do need a 4 x 4 and it is not really suitable for large heavy RIBs. There is plenty of trailer parking space in the back car park but it is worth noting that the ferry ramps are in constant use so one needs to tie the RIB up on the end wall and just avoid the ferry ramp.
Tony Hill
This will be one of your vessels I guess :-)

I'd mirror the comments above re Easdale - we visitied the island by boat and mainland by car. Island has great sheltered harbour with pleanty space to tie up!

Still haven't contacted Lowrance yet.. busy week.. but will post reply when I do
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0038.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	36989