Originally Posted by Texel Tom
You're right - just thought it would be helpful to know for periods of non-use.
Initially, I was having problems after perhaps 2-3 hours... the duration of a dive, lunch and a cocktail.... I presume that if this is causing problems, then I must have an ailing battery.
I am no electrical expert, but if the draw from the antenna is in fact about 1.5 w, how long would this take to drain a healthy battery?
What I find odd is that Lowrance had included a special bulletin (on hot-pink paper no less...) with their instruction manual reminding us that the antenna needed to be powered separately, but that wiring to the same power supply as the LCX was fine. The only mention of a separate switch was in reference to salt water use to reduce corrosion. (I use this exclusively in fresh water...)
I had a Globalmap system before this and it seems odd that this "improvement" results in dead batteries!