Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 15 April 2008, 02:32   #1
Trade member
 
tim griffin's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,859
GPS Plotters/Sounders

Looking to upgrade one of the school ribs Plotter/ Sounders have Garmin in mind but are there any others that are worth considering . It needs to be
Waterproof to IPX7 and able to withstand being on an open boat also flush mounted.
Any thoughts suggestions feed back
Cheers Tim
__________________
Tim Griffin
RYA Freelance YMI power Powerboat and PWC instructor trainer vhf first aid sea survival Diesel engine radar and navigation instructor
tim griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2008, 04:04   #2
Member
 
Tony's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Make: Cougar R8 Sport
Length: 8m +
Engine: 350Sci Verado
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 931
We had a Raymarine c80 on our old rib, which was very good. This time round i am going for a Navman 8120 mainly because of size and connectivity with Mercury.
Tony
__________________

__________________
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2008, 06:39   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 794
We have a Raymarine E80
But given the choice now i would have a garmin with there
top chart, i just find them easy to use, the raymarine stuff
is really good quality but i think its more for Yachts.
where you have more time to go though the menu's.
I was told that Garmin might buy out Raymarine it was in the Times newspaper ?
__________________
Roy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2008, 10:51   #4
Member
 
Channel Ribs's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim griffin View Post
Looking to upgrade one of the school ribs Plotter/ Sounders have Garmin in mind but are there any others that are worth considering . It needs to be
Waterproof to IPX7 and able to withstand being on an open boat also flush mounted.
Any thoughts suggestions feed back
Cheers Tim
The newer Garmin are ideal for RIBs, they are waterproof and all-in-one so you just have a lead to the power, one to the transducer and another to your vhf if you want.

All three can be flush mounted: 450S (4" screen) 550S (5") and the 555S (7").

I shall PM you some nice prices...

Martin
__________________
Channel Ribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2008, 13:00   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by malthouse View Post
The newer Garmin are ideal for RIBs, they are waterproof and all-in-one so you just have a lead to the power, one to the transducer and another to your vhf if you want.

All three can be flush mounted: 450S (4" screen) 550S (5") and the 555S (7").

I shall PM you some nice prices...

Martin
You can pm me with some nice prices aswell. A 555s bundle for a monkey sounds nice.
__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2008, 13:21   #6
Member
 
Channel Ribs's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,047
Monkey sounders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
You can pm me with some nice prices aswell. A 555s bundle for a monkey sounds nice.
I could PM you a monkey, but only if you are vat free - otherwise your monkey is going to need a friend.

__________________
Channel Ribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2008, 16:10   #7
Member
 
Nasher's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Ocean & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzi DT200EFI, DT9.9
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Smith View Post
I was told that Garmin might buy out Raymarine it was in the Times newspaper ?
That old one - It comes around every other month at the moment.

last week a private investment company did make a bid for a small proportion of Raymarine, which kicked off all the usual rumours again of Garmin, Furuno, Lewmar etc.

If Garmin made a serious bid for Raymarine they could potentially have over 50% of the UK market, and would fall foul of the monopolies commision.

Nasher.
__________________
RIBBED For extra pleasure.
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Member of the Bombard 380 Aerotec club
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2008, 03:19   #8
Trade member
 
tim griffin's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,859
Lowrance look good any opinions
am interested in the Garmins Malthouse send dimensions as has to replace a CP180 so need one of similar size so it fits on the console .
__________________
Tim Griffin
RYA Freelance YMI power Powerboat and PWC instructor trainer vhf first aid sea survival Diesel engine radar and navigation instructor
tim griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2008, 03:45   #9
Member
 
Channel Ribs's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,047
Plotties

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim griffin View Post
... interested in the Garmins Malthouse send dimensions as has to replace a CP180 so need one of similar size so it fits on the console .
The CP-180 will leave a footprint of 180mm x 110mm which is landscape, whereas the Garmins are all portrait (ie taller than they are wide).

The 550S may be the closest match at 150mm x 160mm - I guess it really depends how many holes you drilled.

Any of this range will take an external antenna, but all have an internal built in.

PS The 450S is 145 x 130
PPS The 555S does not have a 7" screen, sorry about the error
__________________
Channel Ribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2008, 12:20   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by malthouse View Post
The CP-180 will leave a footprint of 180mm x 110mm which is landscape, whereas the Garmins are all portrait (ie taller than they are wide).

The 550S may be the closest match at 150mm x 160mm - I guess it really depends how many holes you drilled.

Any of this range will take an external antenna, but all have an internal built in.

PS The 450S is 145 x 130
PPS The 555S does not have a 7" screen, sorry about the error
Which Garmin plotter/sounder is 7" now?
__________________

__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.