Old 13 June 2002, 18:40   #1

Town: Wellington
Make: Naiad
Length: 12.6 + 7.5
Engine: Yamaha 225 + 150 outboards
GPS on open RIBs

I am trying to find a waterproof GPS/plotter for fitting to our 7.5m Naiad rescue RIB. The boat is set up very similarly to the RNLI's Atlantics with no protection for either crew or equipment. As a result, our GPS units do not last very long.

Does anyone have any ideas of suitable products or
methods of mounting that will keep the GPS working? Some makers say their unit is fully waterproof and others say you can't waterproof a GPS. The problem with our previous one has been mainly the map card.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Geoff
Old 13 June 2002, 19:25   #2

Town: Brixham, Devon
Boat name: FLY-BY/FLY-BY II
Make: Ribcraft/Avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 175/Yamaha 30
I use both Raytheon and Garmin. I have found that the sets are more waterproof if flush mounted. Both of my sets get very wet and so far have performed well. I do get a bit of condensation but this clear after a while of the unit being switched on.
Old 13 June 2002, 21:10   #3

Thanks David. Our present Lowrance is flush mounted into the crew console, in front of the seat. The console is a fibre-glass moulding and when I recently put my hand up inside and touched the back of the GPS, it was damp. The map card is located on the back of the unit and has no sealing.

I have been told that one model (either Simrad or Navman I think) has a separate map card module that can be mounted in a sealed box. I'm investigating this.

Geoff
Old 13 June 2002, 21:29   #4

Town: Poole
Length: no boat
Geoff

I have had a Lowrance 350a in the past and had to swap it out several times after fogging issues Other than that it worked fine all the time in some adverse conditions.

My current boat has a Garmin and so far hasn't caused any problems. It doesn't have the best resolution but is very clear, even with the sun behind it and salt water splashed all over

I see your from Wellington, I was born in Lower Hutt and lived in Karori.

Big up the All Blacks on Saturday

Regards

Mark
Old 14 June 2002, 11:05   #5
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Geoff

If you want to keep your kit really waterproof, then have a look at the kit produced by DS Developments http://www.dsdevelopments.co.uk/

It's not cheap, but it is very tough and absolutely waterproof. They supply almost a lot of serious RIB operators including thr RNLI and the armed forces.

John
Old 04 July 2002, 10:30   #6

More on GPS on open RIBs

Thanks for various comments.

I've narrowed down to two models and we will be trying them out soon with a small group of experienced rescue boat skippers.

The models are Garmin 182C and Simrad CP33. These seem to be rugged, waterproof (to IP56 and 57, specs I'm familiar with), have very good displays that are visible in the wide range of light levels we have to operate in and are fairly intuiative to operate.

I've appreciated the comments. And the All Blacks did win!

Geoff
Old 09 July 2002, 21:13   #7

Town: Loch Lurgain
Boat name: an t-easnach
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 50
i don't know about simrad but garmin wont let you down as regards service (and won't screw u either)
Old 09 July 2002, 22:02   #8

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
Garmin for me on GPS After the trouble and unreliability I have had with an expensive Simrad radio, and the 'up yours' attitude they have to it I couldn't reccomend their service. I have a Raytheaon and a Garmin GPS both good models but I prefer the display and ease of use of the Garmin.

SO there you go
Old 09 July 2002, 22:26   #9

Town: Isle of Skye
Boat name: Seafari - VHF CH 71
Make: Humbers+Catamaran
Length: 6m +
Engine: Volvo/Iveco/Suzuki
GPS / Plotter

Agree that Simrad is expensive and in my mind C**P.

I have a good Garmin H/H that has never let me down, but my main ones are the Humminbird NS25, takes 2 C-Maps, has a sounder,plotter, and all the nav gubbins on it, and compared to most is slightly cheaper.

I have mine mounted on the console- not flush mounted, and the original now has over 1600 hours turned on and no problems.

The only thing i wished it did was store your route- but it does not!
Waterproof as anything, although the screen mist up a bit now and again, but once in the sun (if we ever get any this year) it clears up -
Worth a thought ??

Cheers
Pete
Old 18 July 2002, 15:03   #10

Town: West London
Make: ribcraft
Length: 4.8
Engine: Mariner 50 4stroke outboard
For what it is worth, my Garmin is mounted on the top of the console open to everything. It has had no problems with misting/ water getting into it from spray etc - but has never been submerged in solid water.

The slot for the map card is supposedly not watertight, but design seems OK, and I keep meaning to paint on liquid latex rubber to make a gasket for the hinged flap to seal onto.

(Liquid latex rubber is used for making moulds for casting fibreglass resin copies of things!)

Weakest point is the cable connection points which are facing forward - they get wet, but this doesn't seem to matter. At least I don't think so - but the depth sounder has recently stopped functioning. One possible reason might be the connection getting wet.

Hope this helps.
Robert
Old 13 August 2002, 12:42   #11

Town: Edenbridge
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Scorpion 8.5mtr
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315hp Yanmar Diesel
Waterproof GPS

David

I have been using Garmin products for about 8-9 years now and have never had a problem with them. Ours have always been lush mounted on the console and have never leaked. Would recomend them to any one.