RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Has anyone found that the position accuracy is quite poor/variable - when sending multiple position requests I have found it to be up to 30m out at times.
I think that is the "natural" error in GPS - you probably don't notice it on your chartplotter because the software will average multiple positions to smooth out the effect.

Likewise your "in car" sat nav feature appears to be more accurate than it really is - because it "knows" you must be on a road.
Old 28 July 2009, 16:53   #82

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroady View Post
Mine seems to be able to do this - its running off the main boats battery(s) , with its little internal battery fitted. I've tried pulling the main boat power of it & it still stays on 7 texts position on its own battery. I also tested it in the garden for a week prior to puttingon the boat - running off the 'old/spare' boat battery.
Hmmm not sure why mine does not do this.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 August 2009, 10:03   #83

I have now identified that the GPS102 I bought from ebay is a copy and not an original unit.

You can tell if yours is a copy if it comes with a magnetic back also the TXT message has ttp://www.wxwll etc.

Although the copies work a lot of issues such as false alarms that I keep getting and the battery not working with the power supply are due to the unit being a fake.

If you want to get the real deal then go here www.xexun.com

Chris

Born fiddler
Old 06 August 2009, 11:45   #84

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
Was about to purchase one of these, until a colleague has just told me DABS are selling a tracker finder! Apparently they enable you to find the location of any tracker fitted and either disable or remove.

Cheers DABS, will not get anymore custom from me
Old 06 August 2009, 12:45   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250kts View Post
Was about to purchase one of these, until a colleague has just told me DABS are selling a tracker finder! Apparently they enable you to find the location of any tracker fitted and either disable or remove.

There is nothing on their website

Born fiddler
Old 06 August 2009, 14:51   #86

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Engine: Outboard
your right, I believe the Authorities had ask them to remove, so looks like they have.

I withdrawl my comment.
Old 06 August 2009, 23:29   #87
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250kts View Post

I assume it is intended to "sniff" for the GSM mobile phone signal (as GPS is incoming only). But most of the time your GSM tracker is sitting doing nothing - not emitting a signal. Once every 20 minutes or so it will give a ~1 second burst to the network to confirm it is still there, which base station it is listening to etc. "Locating" a hidden transmitter isn't going to be easy with a sniffer if 99.9% of the time it is "silent". Even if you happened to "ping" when the dodgy geezer with the sniffer is there it it only takes about 5 seconds of active communication to send/recieve a text message. By the time they trigger the geofence/movement alert, find the device and disable it - you would at least know it was on the move.
Old 16 August 2009, 08:28   #88

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I have now identified that the GPS102 I bought from ebay is a copy and not an original unit.

You can tell if yours is a copy if it comes with a magnetic back also the TXT message has ttp://www.wxwll etc. Chris
Who says?

There's a forum discussing this type of tracker...it runs to over 50 pages...and there's comment about 'clones'. But, who's qualified and who can be believed to comment about what's 'real' and what's a 'clone'? I've read it all through - yes, sad - and the only thing I can say for sure is that there's lots of opinion. Facts, I'm not sure about.

We've already had someone posting on this thread saying these trackers are crap only to find he had a vested interest in marketing his own device. The same guy also posts on this other forum talking about clones. Is he to be believed? You decide.

I'll just reiterate...I've had my device now for many weeks and it works just fine. Is it a clone? Who knows? I don't, for one, and whilst it continues to work, I don't even care
Old 16 August 2009, 09:18   #89
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
So, how do you buy a genuine one from xexun?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2009, 12:48   #90

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
So, how do you buy a genuine one from xexun?
Interesting question...you can buy from Xexun China direct from their website or HERE if you fancy paying £210 from a UK source

I'm still at the 80/20 philosophy I mentioned earlier in this thread
Old 29 August 2009, 17:21   #91

Town: Christchurch
Boat name: Medline Sundream
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Etec 60
Hi guys just joined the forum, been following this thread for some time now and decided to get one of the tracker units from ebay, ordered the unit and the same day the supplier "incutex" was removed as a "no longer registered member", but luckily the unit turned up. Bought the vodafone sim card and everything looked like it was going well, but the tracker unit sends the lats and longs in the incorrect format. Normally its degrees, minutes and seconds which look like this "50.47'045 & 001.44'19 but my units is giving the readings as 50.783998 & 001.734968 which doesn't match any GPS coordinates I know. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and is there some way of changing the units programming to give out the coordinates in the normal way, the instructions I have do not mention anything about this, just hope I have not bought a duff one from a unregistered seller in china, any help or advice would be appreciated.

Lew
Old 29 August 2009, 23:22   #92
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
Hi guys just joined the forum, been following this thread for some time now and decided to get one of the tracker units from ebay, ordered the unit and the same day the supplier "incutex" was removed as a "no longer registered member", but luckily the unit turned up. Bought the vodafone sim card and everything looked like it was going well, but the tracker unit sends the lats and longs in the incorrect format. Normally its degrees, minutes and seconds which look like this "50.47'045 & 001.44'19 but my units is giving the readings as 50.783998 & 001.734968 which doesn't match any GPS coordinates I know. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and is there some way of changing the units programming to give out the coordinates in the normal way, the instructions I have do not mention anything about this, just hope I have not bought a duff one from a unregistered seller in china, any help or advice would be appreciated.

Lew
The decimal representation is correct. if you google you should be able to find a conversion - otherwise post again and I will explain when sober!
Old 30 August 2009, 07:34   #93

Town: Alderney
Digression...

On a slight digression (new thread needed perhaps), how does the Sentinel stack up against the eBay tracker?

www.yacht-sentinel.com
Old 30 August 2009, 10:10   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
The decimal representation is correct. if you google you should be able to find a conversion - otherwise post again and I will explain when sober!
Thanks for that info, found a conversion from decimal to degrees but still would prefer the coordinates sent in degrees as my iphone doesn't recognize the decimal format nor does google earth and converting everytime is going to be a pain, the instructions sent with my unit are very basic, I was hoping there was a text instruction you could send to the unit to change the information from decimal to degrees. Leapy who started this thread may have more detailed intructions as he advised how to change the time zone earlier in this thread, this info is not anywhere on my instructions, anyway thanks for the response, at least its giving the correct coordinates but in decimal format.

Lew
Old 30 August 2009, 11:05   #95
RIBnet admin team

Snoopy good luck! I suspect it will be easier to find the setting in Google Earth / iPhone to allow you to enter GPS coordinates in decimal format (I haven't checked but I am fairly sure both will accept it - and indeed almost certainly use decimal coordinated internally within their software).
Old 30 August 2009, 17:48   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
Who says?

I spoke to Xexun and bought one from them directly. The new one has already proven to be much more reliable and I have not had a single false alarm since I installed it. The clone I had from eBay would not last more than a few hours before sending me a warning text to say it had moved. And as for the Geo fence that never worked at all as the unit would not accept a negative number on the longtitude which is kinda essential in this country.

Also the Xexun allows you to run a battery and a 12v supply which the clone does not. So if my 12v supply fails or is disconnected the unit will still function.

If you just want a unit that texts you when you phone it then the clone will probably be fine and in fact one advantage of the clone is it send you that link that points you at the map. On the Xexun model there is no link, just coordinates.

I wanted something that I did not have to monitor all the time, something that would just txt me when the boat is on the move. THe Xexun one has proved to be much more suitable. I was getting so many false alarms with the clone that I was just starting to ignore the texts which made the whole thing pointless.

Born fiddler
Old 30 August 2009, 17:57   #97

Quote:
Thanks for that info, found a conversion from decimal to degrees but still would prefer the coordinates sent in degrees as my iphone doesn't recognize the decimal format nor does google earth and converting everytime is going to be a pain, the instructions sent with my unit are very basic, I was hoping there was a text instruction you could send to the unit to change the information from decimal to degrees. Leapy who started this thread may have more detailed intructions as he advised how to change the time zone earlier in this thread, this info is not anywhere on my instructions, anyway thanks for the response, at least its giving the correct coordinates but in decimal format.

Lew
Google Earth do accept the coordinates in this format. For example try these in the "fly to" bit.

51.650266, -002.437460

Born fiddler
Old 30 August 2009, 19:26   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Google Earth do accept the coordinates in this format. For example try these in the "fly to" bit.

51.650266, -002.437460
You're right, thanks to Polwarts advice I tried again on both the iphone and google earth and it works just fine, I was just putting in too many full stops and spaces. I'm not sure which hardware/software version I have but I do not get the link to take it to a a map, just the coordinates, time, speed etc. as the xenun version, also tried the move option which worked fine, it txt'd me when I was about 1km away from home, I have not tried any of the other options yet. I have not connected the hard wired battery charger yet, will play with that later this week, hopefully it will work ok, but so far pleased with the unit.
Old 30 August 2009, 23:17   #99

Town: Poole
Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
Coincidentally, I've just come across the same problem transposing waypoints from the almanac/chart to Google Earth. The default in Google Earth is 'Degrees, Minutes, Seconds' but this can be changed to 'Degrees, Decimal minutes' in the 'Show Lat/Long' option in Tools/Options/3D View. It then corresponds with the nautical figures without having to multiply the decimal by 60 to enter the waypoint into Google Earth.
Old 30 August 2009, 23:30   #100

Quote:
You're right, thanks to Polwarts advice I tried again on both the iphone and google earth and it works just fine, I was just putting in too many full stops and spaces. I'm not sure which hardware/software version I have but I do not get the link to take it to a a map, just the coordinates, time, speed etc. as the xenun version, also tried the move option which worked fine, it txt'd me when I was about 1km away from home, I have not tried any of the other options yet. I have not connected the hard wired battery charger yet, will play with that later this week, hopefully it will work ok, but so far pleased with the unit.
Soundslike you have the original unit then

Born fiddler