I have looked at this link (55 pages, and thanks for the link peterc). There are a few things worth noting...I'm not trying to make a point either way here, I'm simply summarising what's there as fact or what is put across as fact in good faith even though it may only be opinion.
* The thread in question, which is specific to the type of Tracker we have been discussing here, dates back to March 2008 and is still going strong.
* The majority of posts are written by people whose first language does not appear to be English. There are only a few posts identifiable as written from within the UK.
* From the above there is significant confusion about what is written, read and interpreted.
* There are comments and photos regarding 'copies' or 'clones'. It is not clear from those that make this allegation how to identify a copy or a clone from an original. The differences, if ever detailed, are subtle.
* There are suggestions that, in fact, there are no copies, but that there is only one supplier whose product is then packaged and marketed differently by different re-sellers.
* There are 'early' versions and 'later' versions of firmware. Trackers equipped with the 'later' firmware automatically start up when a charged battery is inserted (as does mine). This was done to counter criticism of inactive 'early' Trackers after a power outage.
* There seems to be lots of comment and criticism centred around the 'early' firmware. There appears to be multiple root causes...poorly written instructions, wrongly interpretted instructions, finger trouble, doesn't work as intended...
* Many users with 'early' firmware try to update to 'later' firmware via usb cable, pcb's and usb or the cable that came with their kettle. Tears usually result, apart from those equipped with detailed software and pcb technical know-how. Not for the faint-hearted.
* Many users report problems with particular SIM brands (most of them foreign sounding). From those that appear to write with know-how this has something to do with a code length involving the SMS handshake (?) that I haven't fully absorbed. Changing SIM brand effects a cure.
* Some users report problems with the geo-fence in early versions.
* The majority of the thread is taken up with everybody trying to teach everybody how to get the Tracker to talk to their laptop through the internet. Only for those with programming skills.
* Some users talk about taking the Tracker apart, attaching different aerials, using third party batteries and/or external power devices, manufacturing usb leads in order to modify the firmware with their own code...and it goes on.
* I got bored. Mine works. End of.
Hope this helps someone/anyone