Old 30 March 2004, 11:23   #11

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Length: 6m +
Engine: PCM 5.7l
Ditto JCW, even the normal base map isn't particularly useful.

Old 30 March 2004, 11:56   #12
Trade member

Town: West Sussex
Boat name: Grey Mist
Make: Parker 800 Baltic
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2xMercury Diesel 170
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Andre
JCW

I did exactly the same and got the Garmin 176C from the US from www.thegpsstore.com and later bought the Bluechart in the UK of the English Channel and this works without any problems.
Have used it in the car on the continent but using only the base map of the unit . Must say for a very basic map it did show quite a few cities

Andre
Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2004, 14:11   #13

Town: SOUTHAMPTON AREA
Boat name: none
Make: bombard sib
Length: 3m +
Engine: petrol 15/3.5
I have a UK sourced 176c,I am after the blue chart meu001r cartridge of the english channel which I have seen for 125 dollars(about 70.00),does anyone know of any reason why this wont work or if the symbols etc will be different?
Old 30 March 2004, 16:17   #14
Trade member

Town: West Sussex
Boat name: Grey Mist
Make: Parker 800 Baltic
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2xMercury Diesel 170
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Andre
Quote:
Originally posted by timboli
I have a UK sourced 176c,I am after the blue chart meu001r cartridge of the english channel which I have seen for 125 dollars(about 70.00),does anyone know of any reason why this wont work or if the symbols etc will be different?
I have just checked my bluechart and have the same meu001r code and works very well with my Garmin 176C which came from the US. I bought the bluechart in the UK
can't remember how much but for sure over £100.00

You should not have any problems

Andre
Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2004, 02:46   #15

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: DIZZY
Make: Aphrodite 101
Length: 5m +
Engine: Nanni
I think I want a Garmin GPSMAP 176C that I can swap from Boat to Car and download car

The GPSMAP 276C is is a new Garmin model due April 04. See below.

I have a 176c and it is not much use on land in the car.
It will show you where you are on the chartmap, but it does not navigate road routes or give you directions as say the tom-tom software on a handheld PDA does.

John

GPSMAP 276C

Details here:-

http://www.globalpositioningsystems....6&category_id=

The GPSMAP 276C is an all-in-one, versatile, colour chartplotter and automobile navigator - perfect for land or water. This portable GPS navigator features a 256-colour TFT display that's easy to read in bright sun along with a built-in basemap and auto routing to provide you with turn-by-turn directions to the marina for a day of boating.

On water, the GPSMAP 276C is a dependable, colour chartplotter with a built-in Autoroute basemap enhanced by Garmin's marine cartography. It accepts pre-programmed or user programmed data cards with MapSource BlueChart for offshore detail or Recreational Lakes with Fishing Hot Spots for detail of inland lakes.

In addition, the GPSMAP 276C supports external NMEA sources for water depth, water temperature, and water speed through two serial interfaces. The unit also features a new Course Deviation Indicator (CDI) - an advanced navigation tool commonly found on aircraft, but equally practical in the marine environment. The CDI quickly indicates if a boat has veered off course.

On land, the GPSMAP 276Cís European Autoroute basemap features major roads and motorways. With an optional automotive kit that includes MapSource City Select software, data card, friction mount, and 12-volt power adapter with speaker, drivers can receive voice-prompted turn-by-turn directions to addresses and points of interest throughout Europe.

For map transfer or software updates, the GPSMAP 276C features a fast USB-PC interface. The unit is also powered by a rechargeable lithium-ion battery pack, or a standard 110-volt AC plug