Old 12 January 2004, 21:36   #1

Town: Leatherhead
Length: no boat
Garmin Software?

Having at last got our Garmin 188C Plotter to talk to my PC and upgraded the operating sofware is it possible to get software to upload/download waypoints, routes, tracks etc?

The charts that we have are on cartridges rather than the CD which, I believe, has a program for this purpose provided.

Any advice mucho appreciato - grazi

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2004, 21:55   #2
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
Hi Peter,

The Garmin mapping software I have came with a GPSMAP 76. You have to register the serial number of your GPS with Garmin before the software will interface with it. I think with every CD you can register 2 GPS's and then you have to purchase additional licenses.

Have you tried Garmin? Seen as you have paid for the charts they might give it to you cheap/free.
Old 12 January 2004, 22:57   #3

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
You need to enter the Garmin Mapsource system. As well as being able to upload maps to your unit, the software becomes a full charting system for your computer. If you connect a GPS to the PC via the serial port (very easy), the system can navigate too. Waypoints, routes etc. can be moved between PC and GPS, GPS and PC.
If the 188 is permanently attached to your boat, you can shift waypoints into a handheld, take it to your boat and download them Garmin to Garmin. And vise vera.
The Mapsource Europe CitySelect uses the same software and will add itself to the system so the PC then, also, becomes a mapping and routing system. I you have a laptop, it can be in your car and the mapping will take you wherever you wish to go. Anywhere in europe, that is.
Old 13 January 2004, 20:30   #4

Town: Leatherhead
Length: no boat
Thanks for your replies lads.

Had a chat with a very nice lady at Garmin who suggested EasyGPS or GPSUtilities - both free progs. Am trialling both at the moment but EasyGPS looks favorite.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote