Old 24 February 2007, 14:20   #1

Town: Inverness
Make: Ribtec
Length: 5m +
Garmin maps help!

Hi,

I've just bought a Garmin GPSmap 298 for my rib. I also have bought a copy of MapSource 6.5. It didn't come with a data card for storing map/waypoint data.

I obviously need to buy a data card. Does it take a proprietary Garmin one or is it a generic memory card? If proprietary, do I also need some sort of usb adapter to download map data? I assume lastly I'll have to buy an unlock code from Garmin.

Thanks in advance!
Old 24 February 2007, 16:50   #2

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Hi Neil
You will need a Garmin USB datacard programmer and a card.
The card reader/writer is proprietry Garmin ..... but here is a good reliable, cheap source

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/GoodDealPlacare

There are "generic" card suppliers that are a less than a genuine Garmin. They are excellent and the only difference is that instead of a pull out "lever" on the card used to remove it from the unit, these just have a loop of braid.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/GPS-Network-Memory-Accessories
You didn't need to buy Mapsource: Its available as a download from Garmin.com
http://www.garmin.com/support/download.jsp

Did you consider the 298 with UK&I G2 charts preloaded ? I don't think they work our much more than without , unless you got a great bargain ... this wasn't available when I purchased my 292 >>>> but good old Garmin sent me one when I returned my old unit under warranty with a screen problem

Nice bit of kit : I've been very pleased with the 292

Good luck
Jeff
Old 24 February 2007, 16:58   #3

Neil
I may have misunderstood you >
If you don't have the in-built charts you will need Garmins' Bluechart CD (and then all the bits above etc) and unlock code or a pre-programmed datacard for a region.
With a CD you can view charts and waypoints on your PC but with a pre-programmed card you cannot.
If you already have the maps loaded on you unit and just want to store and transfer waypoints then a blank card is needed > but you will not be able to transfer the in-built charts onto a blank datacard to store, view etc on your PC.
Jeff
Old 24 February 2007, 17:05   #4

Jeff,

thanks for your reply. I got the 298 from the US, much cheaper than the UK one with the exchange rate. I think it comes with a worldwide base chart built in, but not powered it up yet so not entirely sure (the seller was absolutely clueless).

The MapSource cd I think has an unlock code for 1 region, not received it yet so not sure.

As I understand it, I need to buy the card and card reader, and assuming I can unlock maps then I just download to the card and insert into the unit. What was the ebay seller? http://stores.ebay.co.uk/GoodDealPlacare doesn't seem to work.

Many many thanks!
Old 24 February 2007, 18:32   #5

try copy paste into your browser

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/GoodDealPlace

The seller is :
vl1066

and this is the card reader

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Garmin-GPS-Map...QQcmdZViewItem

Jeff
Old 24 February 2007, 18:36   #6

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Neil, you may have shot yourself in the foot. If you had bought a UK version, you would have had the whole of the UK charts preloaded into the 298 so you wouldn't need to buy anything else.

However, since you've got it I guess you'll live with it and you are pretty much understanding the Garmin system.

You need to load the version of mapsource you have into your computer. Go to Garmin's web site and download the latest version of Mapsource. This latest version will update your loaded version. The downloaded Mapsource is not a stand alone program, it is only of use as an upgrade.

Next, you need to buy an unlock code for your chosen region. If Inverness is your region you will need EU003. This will give you maps from about The Wash up the east coast, over the top, down past the Hebrides and then, at a lower detail, down to Northern Ireland. When you have unlocked your maps on your PC, you will be able to view them. You now need a Garmin cartridge and a Garmin USB writer. You download from your PC to the cartridge. Put the cartridge into the 298 and it will automatically find the maps and upload them to itself. Unfortunately, the card has to be present in the 298 at all times for the maps to be available to you.

The USB writer is a bit of expense you might only use once. If it is any use to you, I have one and can download maps to a cartridge for you.
Old 24 February 2007, 19:35   #7

Jeff, thanks for the links, which I guessed after my last post.

JW, thanks. The price I got (580 USD) was a spur of the moment thing whilst over there. If the map thing doesn't work out, then yes may work out more. I think I should get one large area with the software which should do the west coast of Scotland okay. We will see.

Will buy a card and reader and see how it goes!