Town: Lancs
Boat name: Beretta
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: 175hp e-tec
MMSI: 235035778
RIBase
Garmin GTU™ 10

Has anyone got one of the Garmin GTU™ 10?

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=67686

I am thinking of getting one, and connecting it to the RIB and putting it in a hidden place - so that I can track it?
https://www.facebook.com/rib.beretta/
SteveHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2012, 07:05   #2

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Have a look over on YBW forums - It seems they work very well.
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2012, 07:27   #3

Town: Mallorca
Boat name: Amaroo
Make: Jeanneau & Seago 2.6
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard 200hp & 4hp
MMSI: 235104224
In the February issue of motor boats monthly page 66 has a full review. They give it 4 ticks out of 5.

"By skill not force."
Silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2012, 06:40   #4

RIBase
I have ordered one - so will let you know how it works!
Old 26 February 2012, 07:49   #5

Town: East Kent and Brittany
Boat name: Cameo
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 200hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235067011
they had one in Powerboating Owner too .. I do worry about the relationship between advertising, and the reviews that are given .. sometimes there seems to be a very clear correlation between the two!

Will be interesting to see what you think Steve from an independent perspective.
Old 26 February 2012, 09:53   #6
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHall View Post
Do please! It's hugely useful when someone gets hands on experience and reports back here. Let us know what level of monitoring you get too pls!
Old 26 February 2012, 12:51   #7

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Do please! It's hugely useful when someone gets hands on experience and reports back here. Let us know what level of monitoring you get too pls!

i will do - and depending on how the security / tracking works - I will post a link to the page (beofre i actually start to use it) so you can take a look at what information you can get.
Old 26 February 2012, 19:31   #8
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by horacebat View Post
they had one in Powerboating Owner too .. I do worry about the relationship between advertising, and the reviews that are given .. sometimes there seems to be a very clear correlation between the two!
In Rib int. the review and the advert were word for word
Old 28 February 2012, 20:56   #9

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
I got one of these Had it for 12months now & it's worked a treat. £10 quids worth of credit on a free Orange SIM has lasted a year. You can either set it up to give automatic updates or only when you query it with a text message. It will either reply with a text to upto 5 phones giving its lat & lon, or will send data to a server so you can see it on a map either on a PC or smartphone.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2012, 04:26   #10

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I got one of these Had it for 12months now & it's worked a treat. £10 quids worth of credit on a free Orange SIM has lasted a year. You can either set it up to give automatic updates or only when you query it with a text message. It will either reply with a text to upto 5 phones giving its lat & lon, or will send data to a server so you can see it on a map either on a PC or smartphone.
Interesting claims in the eBay description for this device...lots of pictures to show that this TK-102 is "the original, non-clone" device but somehow it's not convincing - too much of the 'I think he doth protest too much' syndrome and no mention anywhere of the word Xenun, the OEM - and not helped by the claim that this TK-102 is "waterproof". My TK-102 is definitely not a clone - bought direct from Xenun - and is equally definitely not waterproof, unless, you count as waterproof the Codprawn style ziplock bag it came with - that'll be the bag that makes it useless for any period over a couple of days as it prevents a charging cable being used.

I'm not saying this TK-102 won't do a job, but it's not conclusive as an original and it's certainly stretching a point to call it waterproof.
Old 29 February 2012, 05:41   #11

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
Interesting claims in the eBay description for this device...lots of pictures to show that this TK-102 is "the original, non-clone" device but somehow it's not convincing - too much of the 'I think he doth protest too much' syndrome and no mention anywhere of the word Xenun, the OEM - and not helped by the claim that this TK-102 is "waterproof". My TK-102 is definitely not a clone - bought direct from Xenun - and is equally definitely not waterproof, unless, you count as waterproof the Codprawn style ziplock bag it came with - that'll be the bag that makes it useless for any period over a couple of days as it prevents a charging cable being used.

I'm not saying this TK-102 won't do a job, but it's not conclusive as an original and it's certainly stretching a point to call it waterproof.
I had my doubts too, but I decided to give it a whirl for the sake of 50 quid. I put the imei number into the checker on Xexuns website & it came back genuine. The waterproof claim is down to the fact that it comes with a small "aquapac" type bag. I bought the hardwire kit & mounted the tracker in the console in a small IP65 joint box (this blends in nicely with the rest of the rats nest under the console) The boat is stored under cover, the Raymarine GPS on the boat doesn't work when the boat is in its shed, but the tracker works fine, both GPS & phone signal are good.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2012, 06:01   #12

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
I had my doubts too, but I decided to give it a whirl for the sake of 50 quid. I put the imei number into the checker on Xexuns website & it came back genuine. The waterproof claim is down to the fact that it comes with a small "aquapac" type bag. I bought the hardwire kit & mounted the tracker in the console in a small IP65 joint box (this blends in nicely with the rest of the rats nest under the console) The boat is stored under cover, the Raymarine GPS on the boat doesn't work when the boat is in its shed, but the tracker works fine, both GPS & phone signal are good.
Good price, then. Several of us on here bought direct from Xenun at around £60 plus postage from China. I've mounted mine in the console too but no waterproof bag or box. Three years on and all's fine and yes, the GPRS and GPS signal reception is very good. Mine works fine when the boat's in the garage They're a good buy...
Old 16 March 2012, 19:16   #13

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Thanks, Pike, for sharing this comment. I've been looking for feedback on this GPS tracker device from real life users.
Old 03 April 2012, 12:11   #14

Town: East Kent and Brittany
Boat name: Cameo
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 200hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235067011
Soooo....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHall View Post
How did you get on ?
Old 03 April 2012, 13:51   #15

RIBase
Sorry I haven’t sent a reply sooner, but I have been mad busy, with work and then the purchase of the bigger rib.

Well here is my story of my time with the Garmin, so far it looks to work well – with the settings I have - (update every 5 mins) the battery will last for 3 days without charging but you can have this last up to 4 weeks if you change the settings.
The unit will send me a text and email if the unit is moved outside a defined area, and will also alert when returned to this area if required, and I can look on a Google style map and see the current location any time.
I am paying £4 a month for the premier tracking, and with this i get my sms count upped to 50, and also have 50 hours a month of continuous tracking – that I can either schedule to enable or enable on demand – so if the worst happened I would log into the application and enable continuous tracking and flow it.
I have mounted the tracker in the RIB, and connected it direct to one of the batteries – and estimate that the 12v battery it’s connected to will last about 6 months without recharge – but have the 2nd battery on the boat to start the engine if the 1st has gone flat.

My overall impression is that I am happy with the device, you can also get a nice app for the apple devices, and you can check in on it anytime - My old man likes it as well, as he has an iPad and can check were we are when out on the water.
Old 10 April 2012, 11:28   #16

RIBase
Screen Shot

Here is a screen grab of the web app showing the movement over the weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	67029