Old 29 June 2009, 15:33   #1

Town: Colchester/Clevedon
Boat name: Barracuda
Make: Porters
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
Garmin GPSMAP 298 - Not Locking On

I have a Garmin 298 with the internal GPS antenna which has failed to lock on to a satelite on my last two trips out. Yesterday I left it on for 2 hours without luck

The unit is just over 2 years old and is kept at home when not in use. The only damage I can find is to the cable which connects the fish finder transducer to the back of the GPS - this has been crushed slightly by the battery box landing on top of it (now re-secured) - one of the wires is exposed but not broken. However, as the GPS antenna is internal and the fish finder is still working correctly I assume this is eroneous?

Anyway Ribnetters, a few questions if I may:

1. Has anyone experienced a similar issue of a Garmin not locking on?

2. Could I have accidentally switched it off in the settings somehow?

3. Is it worth having GPS units repaired (sent back to Garmin etc) or shall I just bin it and buy new?

Grateful for any help

Cheers

Guy
Old 29 June 2009, 18:13   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
I think you'd know if you had changed the settings, but if it's fcuked, a "factory reset" can't hurt - so I'd try that anyway.

I had a similar issue with a Raymarine plotter with internal antenna recently. It had performed very well exposed on a bracket, but when I surface mounted it on the console and installed another plotter beside it, all hell broke loose and the "fix" is very poor now. This despite the antenna and cable from the other plotter being routed away from the flush mounted set. Assuming you have not moved any lekkie about recently??
Old 29 June 2009, 18:39   #3

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I had a near identical thing a few weeks ago on my Garmin 276c . The factory reset seemed to do the trick . Garmin ' help' said the units can get confused if they pick up 'bad data' from a satellite.

Mine ( though differant model) is about the same age . BAck to geting a fix in 30 secs now - I went up to 30 minutes before I gave up trying to get it to fix.

Assume the reset is the same buttons ? but Garmin will confirm if you speak to them .

Found my original posts ;
by pressing the 'quit' & 'power' buttons at the same time. This will erase any saved data ( waypoints etc) but thats not a great problem for me and I can back these up if I want anyway

Pete
Old 30 June 2009, 15:38   #4

Town: Colchester/Clevedon
Boat name: Barracuda
Make: Porters
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
Thanks both, I'll speak to Garmin about resetting it

Cheers

Guy