Old 23 January 2007, 10:14   #11
Town: Norfolk
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard
This is interesting thread because this was an issue for me two days ago. Went to take the rib out (has a garmin 178). Had used it two days before and eveything had been fine. Went to plug the gps in and it wouldnt fire up. Got my multimeter out and tested the plug and I was getting 12 volts so that was fine. On much closer inspection one of the connectors (either 15 or 18 on their wiring diagram, cant remember which) is a bit different to all the others and it had been damaged by the corrosion. I have since got a replacement cable which Im going to have to fit. Strangly the first one didnt have a rubber cap (its only 8 weeks old) but the replacement does. Seems to be a bit hit or miss as to whether you get one or not.

Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2007, 03:49   #12
Town: Poole
Make: Aquaflyte
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc 90 2Str
Had a bit of a rummage around at work and have found a whole box of rubberised caps. They're not designed for the Garmin connector and are in fact a teensy bit on the small size. However will a bit of fiddling (10 sec or so) you can work them onto the connector. Given that they are a bit on the tight side there is little chance that water will get in.

Also they've not got any securing points so when you take 'em off they have to be put somewhere safe as they won't stay secured to the cable

We've got bucket loads of the things here so if anyone wants a few (spares in case of loss) just PM me with your address and I'll stuff a few in the post.

AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote