Old 17 January 2007, 19:36   #1

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Garmin Chart Backup.

I have the Garmin 178c fitted to my RIB with charts on a memory card that stays in the unit.
Is it possible for me to back this memory card up on to another memory card. Just in case it gets damaged in someway.

This was all fitted to my boat when I got it so I don't have any codes or anything.

Anyone done this ?
Old 17 January 2007, 22:54   #2

Engine: 90hp
Biggles,

I "believe" the bluechart charts (assuming that's what you are using) are locked to the unit itself as part of registration process so should be possible to backup - just dump contents of memory card to your PC or another card.

Navionics on the other hand are locked to the ID of the card itself so you can back the data up but if the card gets damaged, the charts are gone!
Old 19 January 2007, 14:12   #3

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Biggles
Unfortunately you cannot read/copy the charts even using the necessary Garmin card reader. You can copy/save waypoints and routes using the reader and mapsource software. ...... unless anyone knows different
Jeff
Old 19 January 2007, 14:40   #4

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Biggles
Unfortunately you cannot read/copy the charts even using the necessary Garmin card reader. You can copy/save waypoints and routes using the reader and mapsource software. ...... unless anyone knows different
Jeff
I hope someone does. Would be handy to have a backup.
Old 19 January 2007, 15:28   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Biggles
Jeff
See
http://www.garmin.com/support/faqs/?webPage=Cartography

All garmin charts (as far as I can tell) requite an unlock code which locks that chart to a particular device, be it the plotter or a PC but I'm pretty certain you can still physically copy the data onto a PC. You would not be able to use it on another plotter (or on PC) without another unlock code but you should still be able to backup to the PC. I may be wrong!

You can get the charts on DVD / CD ROM (like bluechart) which is coverage for atlantic for example and then you select what area to unlock and then download it to a standard card so that infers the format is standard and data is standard and it's not locked to the card.

See the section on Mapsource and CD/DVD
http://shop.garmin.com/cartography/mapsource/policy.asp

(Is the card a Garmin one or normal SD/MMC?)

When I got my Navionics charts (which are locked to the physical card) I called the tech support guy as I wanted to back them up and he said they could be copied to the PC but would only work from the card they shipped with (but at least if the data got corrupted I could restore it).

May be worth submitting a help desk ticket or calling Garmin UK (if you have the patience to wait on the phone!)

EDIT--

Just another though - If Garmin already have a log of the unit (which they would have to have had for unlocking the charts originally, they may be able to assist you based on that unlock code). See
http://www.garmin.com/support/faqs/f...graphy&lang=en
Old 19 January 2007, 16:55   #6

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Al/ Biggles,
I assumed that Biggles was referring to a pre-programmed plug and play card.
If you go down the Bluechart CD route, with blank datacard, reader /writer then yes always have a "back up" of the maps for your unlocked region(s) ... it is the CD and you can load/reload maps from your PC onto the card. This method also has the advantage that you can view the maps on your PC and plan routes, mark waypoints etc in the comfort of home on a large screen, and then transfer to the card and upload later onto your plotter.
This is the way I finally went ; after buying a programmed card !!!! ( e-bay in, e-bay out :-) )
If it is a pre-programmed datacard ( ie with the maps on it) then I am almost certain you cannot - as I tried after buying a reader and it would not allow you to even view the map on the card on my PC via Mapsource.
Also ,BEWARE, if you try to use this card to save waypoints from your plotter, I think it will overwrite the maps and then they are lost ! Check carefully with Garmin.
I think a preprogrammed datacard will work and can be transferred to any unit and does not have the unlock requirement or linking to a specific unit ?
Jeff
Old 19 January 2007, 18:30   #7

Hi Jeff / Biggles,

Agreed you probably can't look at the maps on the PC (as this would need an unlock code) but you should still be able to phyically backup the files on the card (MMC?) to the PC. Not that you could use them on the PC but you at least then have a backup.

Did you try this Jeff (ie just dumping card contents to PC as backup)? It's an interesting point as electronic charts are a significant outlay and most vendors are pretty unsympathetic if the card gets damaged or data gets corrupted!

I couldn't work out if the pre-programmed cards were open (ie locked to the card) but based on the garmin FAQ I think they are still locked to the unit (but you still wouldn't be able to view them on a PC). An easy way of checkling this would be to try the card in another GPS unit I guess.