Garmin 72/76 sizes?
I'm in the final throws of the construction of my new instrument pod, and one of the things I'm including on it is a "garmin holder". Primarily to act as a "trip computer" & keep the plotter screen clear, but also to act as a backup n case the main battery fails.
Anyhow, I have a Garmin 12 and a V for which I am building a "universal" mount. (2 horizontal bits of wood with suitable recesses filed in them to engage the case (& lift it off the panle so it's not sat on the data connector and sits at a suitable angle) with a bit of bungee across the middle to hold it down. The elastic fits nicely across the top of the screen on the 12 & V (they have dentical screens) However I want to "future proof" it a bit and make it such that it will also take a 72/76. (And yes, I have spotted the irony of that sentence!)
So, if one of you has a Garmin GPS 72 or 76 to hand, could you take a couple of measurements for me?
- is there a "lip" just above the screen? (where the flat screen becomes the slightly curved top face of the case) - if so,
- how far is the lip from the top of the screen?
- What is the distance from the bottom of the unit to the "lip"?
- Ditto to the top. (to make sure it engages in both bits of wood)
- How far up is the data connector relative to the bottom? (I assume it's on the centreline?)
- where is the key on the "clock face" of the data / power connector (so I can work out the angle the cable comes off at - I assume it will come off at 45 degrees downwards to Stbd (as you look at the screen) - can anyone confirm?.
I'll put the design up once it's finalised.