Old 20 October 2011, 18:45   #21

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin
I presume you've checked the wiring and undone and remade the connections into the back of the display unit.
No...not yet anyway...a dodgy connection isn't likely to be shallow water intelligent. The transponder looks like it came with a 10 mile long lead that goes into the hull at the back and out into the console without a break - at least, if there is a connector it's not obvious. Anyone know what's the standard length of the Garmin transponder flying lead?
Old 21 October 2011, 15:41   #22

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
No...not yet anyway...a dodgy connection isn't likely to be shallow water intelligent.
Actually, it could be. Shallow water means that the signal is returning to the head unit shortly after it's been sent - as opposed to deeper water where the delay is greater - meaning that any weird impedance caused interference is more likely to screw with it.

jky
Old 21 October 2011, 16:47   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki
Actually, it could be
Yep, it's on the list for when get home. It's not easy to check with the boat on the water.

Spoke to Garmin. Their input was the signal could be being attenuated by the keelguard, or, the transducers knackt, or...they did ask the standard opening question: is the firmware up to date? Que serious red face...I'm on v4.3...latest is 5.3. Oops!!! Tried to update it today but the Garmin updates only work with Windows and my laptop's a Mac. Another job for back home (and on a more regular basis)

Thanks for all the input
Old 21 October 2011, 16:52   #24

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
I don't see it being anything to do with the firmware, but it's an easy thing to try anyway. As for the keelguard, that could be a contender. IIRC there is a dense foam adhesive backing to it. That will have air bubbles in it and may affect the bounce back of the signal. Clutching at straws here tho!
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2011, 17:16   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin
I don't see it being anything to do with the firmware, but it's an easy thing to try anyway. As for the keelguard, that could be a contender...
With that in mind, I also rang RC who fitted the kguard. Their view was they fit so many of them with transducers on CL that they couldn't believe that was the issue. It is a coincidental change point though.

Interestingly, amongst the many 5xxx firmware updates is "depth sounder performance improvement". Maybe, the kguard attenuated a marginal system over the edge. Maybe, the firmware "improvement" will tip it back. Maybe...

Watch this space

Memo to all: check your firmware status :-)
Old 04 November 2011, 21:25   #26

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
This is what I have P79 ducer. You unscrew the top and put glycol in or some other inert oil type liquid such as castor oil. It provides the continuity for the signal between the transducer head and the hull. Any air in between the two will stop it reading properly.
Or do what I did, and forget the mounting bracket and antifreeze and gloop it on with a big dollop of Stixall. Works a treat now

BTW mine reads down to 2ft fitted like this into the under-deck void - below that it flashes (but you get a distinct audible warning anyway - the prop going donk-donk-donk on the bottom...)

The only situation in which mine loses depth reading now is either when you go hard astern (and there are loads of air bubbles under the hull) or sometimes when you are in the middle of really thick kelp right under the hull which I assume buggers the signal up.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 November 2011, 21:31   #27

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
(but you get a distinct audible warning anyway - the prop going donk-donk-donk on the bottom...)
Ah as in the words of Croc Dundee you "Gotta Donk" who needs a sonar then
Old 30 January 2012, 03:56   #28

Town: Rotorua
Boat name: Wild Orchid
Make: Ross
Engine: Yamaha
Hi Leapy .. did you get anywhere with this issue ?

I have the exact same symptoms, except my sensor is expoxied into a keel boat and I've found the bottom unexpectedly. A loss of lock around 50-30ft, flash's last good reading ... takes ages when you back into deeper water to reobtain lock. At this time I suspect the sensor, but it maybe Garmin software ? All help accepted.
Old 30 January 2012, 04:28   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by eruptn View Post
Hi Leapy .. did you get anywhere with this issue?
Not at the moment...the boat is hibernating at present.

I've done the firmware update, checked all the connections I can get to but until I get it back in the water...

Oh, and in clambering into the boat with it on the trailer, in the garage and with restricted headroom I've slipped a disc in my neck. Bolox
Old 30 January 2012, 05:33   #30

Town: Rotorua
Boat name: Wild Orchid
Make: Ross
Engine: Yamaha
Thanks Leapy ... I forgot its your winter up there .... at least I know I'm not alone on this one. All the best with your back ....