Old 19 September 2015, 13:48   #1

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Garmin 45DV chartplotter & transducer fit to SIB (Aerotec)

I've tagged a few comments/queries onto other threads about upgrading my GPS from a very small screen handheld to a compact 12v fixed unit.

Chose the Garmin EchoMap 45DV with UK mapping and bought a bundle to include the GT20 DownVu transponder... well priced and next day service from Barnet Marine.

Some images below of the unit and comparison with the small screen handheld I've been using for years. I know the 45DV is a compact unit compared to many of the RIB boys kit but the increase in screen size is still worthwhile.

I've not had a depth sounder for years since owning a hard boat but thought I'd buy the transducer which was sold as an extra... just to complete the outfit really.

Paid an extra £30 or so to get the DownVu type transducer over the standard to get the more "TV like" underwater images... no idea if it's a worthwhile upgrade but Garmin obviously think so.

Running on demo mode in the house quite impressed with screen clarity and easy use of the menus. Much more sensitive GPS receiver than the handheld which wouldn't get a fix in the house... this one easily does.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Garmin 45DV outfit.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	108756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Garmin comparison.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	108757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Garmin 45DV screen.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	108758  
Old 19 September 2015, 13:53   #2

So... looking for ideas on fitting the unit with a small battery pack... and for mounting the transducer to the transom which with a daily set-up SIB must be an easy fit/remove.

I'm going to mount the unit bracket on the seat to one side. I'd wondered about some sort of arrangement with the 12v battery it needs and spare leads all in a waterproof box fixed under the seat (battery in pic is just the one from my Bravo pump used for testing... for the Garmin I'll get away with a smaller one).

I've had ideas from another thread re some sort of transom mount but with these images of the transducer/brackets hope to get some more specific thoughts.

I do wonder if the somewhat confused water flow off the transom of the Aerotec might need the transducer setting a little deeper than the just down from the transom edge on a flat floor type as is usual?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Aerotec seat re Garmin.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	108760   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aerotec seat re Garmin demounted.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	108761   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aerotec transom re Garmin.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	108762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Garmin transducer fittings.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	108763  
Old 19 September 2015, 14:54   #3

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
my mate bought that unit he is very impressed with it
Old 19 September 2015, 18:10   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Hi David

Looking at your set up I would follow the instruction for set up in the paperwork, you have a kick up bracket by the looks and the transducer should be just below the hull, set it up so you can use the slots to lift/lower the unit as required I have done a few now that way with no problems good little set up that and will do exactly what you ask of it.
The sounder by the way is well worth it if only to show depth at all times with a shallow alarm a bonus and a picture of the seabed with all that offers for interest you never know you might get into fishing then it will come into its own.
Cheers Jeff
Old 19 September 2015, 19:37   #5

Jeff. What do you reckon to the shape of the Aerotec transom area for disturbing the water flow... do you think it needs to be deeper?
Old 20 September 2015, 16:05   #6

RIBase
Hi David

I Carnt see why it shouldn't work after fitting a hummingbird transom mount to my last rib with a 24degrees dead rise I would look at fitting it as near as possible to your transom wheels on the flat as it were don't forget when your sounding your at trolling speed around 3-6 mph you will get just surface clutter at speed but you will get depth readings so long as you set it square to the boat meaning not at an angle one way or the other.
Cheers.
Old 20 September 2015, 18:25   #7

Ok thanks. What I might do to save the stress of drilling holes for a test position that needs changing meaning even more holes is to mount the transducer on a bit of alloy angle and use a G-clamp for the trial so I can put it up and down to get the best result.

Still keen on any ideas/images for a battery box that can be fixed under the seat below the main unit.
Old 20 September 2015, 18:34   #8

I used a plastic sandwich box and strapped it at the side of the fuel tank with the standard honwave tank straps worked fine for me . the battery not the transducer
Old 20 September 2015, 18:38   #9

Oh yes that's an idea... we always have the tank in its underseat posn where the loops are on this boat and the cables would drop straight down and be out of the way.

Does your outboard charge the battery and what capacity do you use?
Old 20 September 2015, 18:47   #10

not sure if mine has charging but as its a pull start I doubt it if your using one of those 15 quid yuasa sealed jobbies like I had I used mine for a week at loch ken and a week on luing on the charge that was in it when I bought it then I bought a rib and put my garmin on that and gave the yuasa battery to a friend who used it for a week at clachtol and it still had charge in it, so I wouldn't worry to much about it going flat while your out fishing
Old 20 September 2015, 18:50   #11

one of these which I bought from my local motorfactors who is a yuasa agent for £12eBay item number:111254563499
Old 21 September 2015, 07:07   #12

RIBase
david

try solent plastics IP67 rated boxes £22.14 inc vat internal 235 x 180 x 106mm 4 litre capacity foam filled code MAX 235h105 there are others if you want to store other stuff.
good idea to set up on a bracket for piece of mind if not sure.
i bought a motor cycle battery 8 AH £ 30.
if you want to charge off the engine there should be a kit, this suzuki i bought this year has the alternator coils one for the one for the engine one for the charging i had to buy the kit which is a second rectifier £106 on the 4hp the kit changes the magneto as well not sure about yours just for info.

cheers
Old 21 September 2015, 08:27   #13

RIBase
hi David
you probably got these but you will see set the transducer at water line not hull line.
cheers jeff
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0640.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	108815   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0641.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	108816  
Old 21 September 2015, 08:46   #14

Thanks for the instructions image. No mine isn't that detailed with no mention of not mounting to port of the prop... although it wasn't going to that side anyway.

Thanks also re case and battery advice guys. Getting battery ordered for tomorrow then I'll see how much extra room I'll need for spare cables etc to work out a container size.
Old 21 September 2015, 09:25   #15

RIBase
just a thought if going down the engine charging route is a pain.
then think about battery size to allow all day use then in a portable case with a mains charger either built in or external for charging at night.you could set it all up in the case as i have for my CCTV.

cheers jeff
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140709_151015.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	108821  
Old 21 September 2015, 09:33   #16

I've just ordered the Yuasa 7ah which would give 14hrs use. We are rarely on the move for more than 4hrs a day so that will have loads in hand.

I have a nice compact overnight charger that will be fine for this battery but that will stay in the house or holiday location. All I really need in my box is the battery itself and all the spare cable from the transducer which is long enough for a far larger boat and obviously can't be cut.
Old 21 September 2015, 09:44   #17

RIBase
if it were me with your set up i would have it as a stand alone system in the peli case with the transducer on the bracket and clamp as you mentioned before that way you can adjust as you need de-tach from the boat for storing etc and housed in the foam case fully protected when not in use all stored in the box lid on sorted also your old system in there as back up.

cheers
Old 26 March 2016, 22:25   #18

Just thought I'd chuck up some pics of my "fast fit" mount and battery holder.

Like others have done I just screwed the base to the minimum piece of wood needed to sit along the edge of the seat. It attaches in seconds with some small bungee cord. Taking an idea from Firstrib the 7AH battery is in an old camera outfit case that hangs under the seat below the Garmin and also takes all the spare cable.

Haven't had time to do the transducer setup yet.

Still really pleased with this 45DV. It's compact and unobtrusive plus so much easier to read than my previous handheld. The bracket tilts and swivels without use of tools so through the day you can angle it spot on for where you're sitting or to avoid screen reflections from the sun.

For a daily inflate SIB its all you need size wise.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Garmin mount.jpg
Views:	665
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	111595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Garmin battery case.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	111596  
Old 15 April 2016, 23:34   #19

Final on the SIB images...

Got round to setting up the transducer at last. Like others a bit of scrap timber with a G-clamp as temp attachment until I know the posn on transom for best image. Then I'll drill through transom and timber with a stainless coach bolt plus butterfly nut to secure... but still make it an easy removal for packing away.

Battery still in the old camera case as advised by Firstrib is simple but neat taking all the spare cable as well (there's about 3m excess to loose). Nestles nicely between seat, tube and fuel tank with a bungee securing it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Transducer mounted.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	111977   Click image for larger version

Name:	Garmin cable route.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	111978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Garmin 45DV mounted final.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	111979  
Old 29 April 2016, 15:07   #20

Town: Newport
Make: Ribeye TS370
Engine: Suzuki DF20AES
Gosh it seems we have another thing in common Fenlander. Just browsing through the forums and see you have the Echomap 45. I bought one about 6 weeks ago too - the new Chirp version. Same price as the non chirp so why not eh. Mounted it on the rear of the TS370 front seat and as my DF20 is Electric start, I power it from that battery, a 35Ah unit in a battery box at the rear that also powers a bilge pump. I'd sent a photo but my boat is hanging deflated from the garage roof at the moment. I won't ever use it to find fish, but wanted the maps to explore with. I also have a GPSMAP 60 with the same map but the bigger screen is much better. The built in depth sounder was a bonus.

Dave