Originally Posted by DM
Check in system information to see what version software the unit is running and then check on Garmins website to see if it's up to date. Reloading a newer version or even the same version can iron out bugs.
Also, remove the data chip and give the contacts in the chip and in the unit a clean.
I went though this 4 years ago and it didn't help and just this morning I've used electrical contact cleaner on the data chip to no avail, I've also got the latest update, the last and most recent one was in 2007.
Garmin seem unwilling to repair the unit as they say it'll cost me more than a new one and seeing this has happened now twice on 182C's I would have to say that this is an inherent fault that only appears after 4 years of use.
I've got a backup Raymarine A65 chartplotter installed in the console on the passenger side and I can use that as my primary navigation, I just need to fix the depthfinder issue with it.