Town: Largs
Boat name: Pinto
Make: Zodiac 4.7 Pro 9
Length: 4m +
Engine: Evenrude 40 e-TEC
MMSI: 235055258
Garmin 178c

Hi

I am looking to buy the Garmin 178c for my RIB - any good, bad or indifferent comments from anyone who has this would be appreciated.

Also I have "found" somewhere to buy it, namely http://www.top100gps.com has anyone had any dealings or knowledge of this company - it seems too good to be true! The cost of this unit is around £100.

Thanks

Viv
Old 04 August 2006, 10:57   #2

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Welcome to Ribnet, Pinto. I've just paid for one but it hasn't arrived yet. It cost a lot more that 100kwid. If you use these people, I'm sure a lot of folk would be interested to hear how you get on.
Old 04 August 2006, 11:06   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinto
Hi

I am looking to buy the Garmin 178c for my RIB - any good, bad or indifferent comments from anyone who has this would be appreciated.

Also I have "found" somewhere to buy it, namely http://www.top100gps.com has anyone had any dealings or knowledge of this company - it seems too good to be true! The cost of this unit is around £100.

Thanks

Viv
Hi
I have the 178c and am very pleased with it, had no problems yet with it (will probably regret saying that now)

£100 seems very very cheap, is it a recon unit or second hand? even still very cheap.
Old 04 August 2006, 11:52   #4

Town: Lee on the Solent
Boat name: Saintlee
Make: Leeway
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude DI 115
You've got let us know how this goes, there's prices for allsorts on there that just defy belief. Do they do discounts for Group Buys?
Old 04 August 2006, 15:27   #5

Town: Newry
Boat name: Nothing Yet.
Watch for import duty and VAT.

Don't want to rain on your parade, but you will have to watch out for import duty and VAT when it is shipped to you. Also as the unit is coming from china, check whether the manual is in English etc.

Not sure about their paymant system, only Bank of China wire transfer or Western Union? I'd never use Western Union due to lack of comeback if anything went wrong. As for Bamk of China, I'd be very careful......

regards, Stefan.

EDIT: My apologies, just saw they do take credit cards. Comments re. Import duty and VAT stand.
Old 05 August 2006, 05:44   #6

Town: HERNE BAY
Boat name: Coastalbuzz
Make: Brill Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250suzuki/6/5/5
MMSI: tba
careful!!

Watch also for warranty, software ie upload compatability and the rest!
Old 05 August 2006, 05:58   #7
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Hi

Just had a look at the site, it may be me but can't see where it states if it's internal or external antenna and what about the sonar unit 200 or 200/50 or none supplied?

I got mine on ebay from the states complete and it uses the pre-programmed data cards no problem

James

P.S. I've got a spare new 2006 card of the couth coast for some petrol tokens
Old 05 August 2006, 08:32   #8

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim
..P.S. I've got a spare new 2006 card of the couth coast for some petrol tokens
James, PM sent.
Old 05 August 2006, 20:12   #9

Update

Hi

Just to let you know that I have e-mailed Garmin to see if in fact, as is stated on the website, if this company is in fact a authorised Garmin dealer ....... still no reply from Garmin. I have also e-mailed the company asking a straight forward question about purchase - 24 hours later still no reply - doesn't look good if they can't answer pre-purchase question, what does that say about after sales or warrently queries! Probably not a go-er! Will give you any further updates!

Viv
Old 07 August 2006, 11:52   #10

Final update

Hiya - still no word back and have therefore given up with this, moved back to what was my first choice ie Garmin 276c - it was the price of this one that made me consider this one.

Thanks for your help.

Viv
Old 07 August 2006, 12:05   #11
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
just sent you a pm

James
Old 07 August 2006, 15:40   #12

Town: bicester, Oxford
Boat name: mach1
Make: avon SR5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp yamaha
I have paid the normal uk price for mine, around £400. I have heard they are very reliable but prefer peace of mind. I personally would worry because it is too cheap, got to be a catch. (no transponder, import tax/duty, postage) too good to be true.

The unit is very easy to use, full of extras and the best sonar of used yet very precise and clear! I have paid £130 for the Data card for the south coast! (very costly)

Does any one have a cheaper alternative to the data cards would be very interested.
Old 07 August 2006, 16:17   #13

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
If it looks too good to be true.....

Interesting one this! top100gps.com aka "Beijing GPS Store & Beijing ACC Trade Company" claim to be "formed in 1997 with a mission to provide our customers with a better alternative to typical mail order and Internet companies... blah blah..."

Here's the "whois" record for top100gps.com:

Domain Name: TOP100GPS.COM
Registrar: WILD WEST DOMAINS, INC.
Whois Server: whois.wildwestdomains.com
Referral URL: http://www.wildwestdomains.com
Name Server: PARK23.SECURESERVER.NET
Name Server: PARK24.SECURESERVER.NET
Updated Date: 27-feb-2006
Creation Date: 27-feb-2006
Expiration Date: 27-feb-2007

OrgName: Go Daddy Software, Inc.
OrgID: GDS-31
Address: 14455 N Hayden Road
Address: Suite 226
City: Scottsdale
StateProv: AZ
PostalCode: 85260

....it probably is too good to be true!

All IMHO of course
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2006, 21:47   #14

Length: 3m +
I found this website while searching for more information on www.top100gps.com My mom actually recently ordered from them and received her item within a couple of days. She said she called and talked to them (but they spoke perfect english-even though she had to call a number in China).

They also seem to imply that they are linked with a company in North Carolina, but I called the company this morning and he was really evasive and wouldn't answer too many questions. (This is the company http://www.carolina.bbb.org/commonre...ml?bid=3000558) They say they are registered with the BBB, but I could not find them anywhere.

The website SAYS it takes credit cards (the only way I would order something since mine has protection on it) but I have not found out how to pay with a credit card on the website.

So what I'm trying to say is please be careful if you do decide to order from them. I am very leery myself as there is very little information about them on the web.

Did anyone ever receive an email from Garmin about them?

Richard, I am not computer savvy at all. Are you saying that their website is actually registered out of Arizona and has only been registered for a couple of months?
Old 15 August 2006, 00:47   #15

Length: 3m +
For some reason I can't edit my post, but I would like to add that I am in no way affiliated with top100gps, I just wanted to check them out before I placed an order with them. Just wanted to clarify
Old 15 August 2006, 08:10   #16

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
i have a garmin 178c and its superb, bought it from the states, 35 days for delivery, then put the uk south coast data chart in it, reeally good bit of kit, its the second one ive had,
Old 16 August 2006, 09:17   #17

Update

Hi

Thanks for all your replies - enough doubt about this company to make me wavy of placing an order with them.

In the end I have ordered a 276c with a UK web chandlers.

......and no, I did not hear anything back from Garmin, nor the company themselves who I had emailed a query to pre-purchase.

Ta

Viv
Old 30 August 2006, 11:27   #18

Town: quimper
Boat name: kai 2
Make: capelli
Engine: yamaha 100
Garmin 178C

I have recently received a 178C from the States at 470 Euros delivered all in, including external antenna and sonar sounder.
No VAT to pay.
It is silly to say that if it's cheap, then there must be a catch. I have been buying stuff from the US for over 10 years now, as I refuse to pay double for the same thing in the UK or France.
Companies like Garmin have to wake up to the fact that not everyone is stupid, and why do they think they can make people here pay double?
IF, big IF, customer service was EXCELLENT then I would think twice about buying abroad. But most of the time, for whatever product, it is very poor, so where is the incentive to buy locally?
In any case, if it does blow up/fail, then 9 times out of 10, you can just buy another one and still be quids in.
I wouldn't buy from China - much too dodgy. Buy from the US, from someone with good feedback and reputation.
Delivery was 3 days by the way.
The 178C looks excellent, and although it's installed and working I haven't been out with it yet as the weather has been awful.

If anyone is over in Brittany, visit Doaurnenez harbour, there is a large friendly dolphin in residence.
www.frenchberry.com