Old 04 August 2003, 20:11   #21

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Alex your right it is a bloody great thing, the lowrance is a quarter of the size. Might try to glue it in the boat so it fire through the hull next but that can wait for the winter.

the other option is the through hull option, but not sure if I want another hole through the hull and trying to find a location that the trailer rollers will clear could be tricky. More work here I am afraid.

I agree with Stuart great sets though.

Pete
Old 04 August 2003, 21:05   #22

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Various
Make: Commercial
Length: 10m +
Engine: Screw / Voith / Jets
Send a message via MSN to Alex Brown
Pete,

Yeah, I saw on Garygee's rib that he had his transducer on the inside of the hull.... only downside being that the temp doesn't work, but since I don't actually fish with the damn thing that probably won't make much diff.

Unfortunately, with the bilge pump already in place in my transom well, I don't think it'd be possible to mount the depth thing too. I assume that it has to be pointed forward, and that it cannot be mounted sideways on in the well? - I can't remember if it's just a standard cone firing out or not.

Thanks,

-Alex
Old 04 August 2003, 23:46   #23

Town: Ireland
Boat name: Ally Cat
Make: Several
Length: 6m +
Engine: Several
Garmin 188C Tidal Data

Hi Alex,

The Chips from July 2003 for Ireland West Coast have interactive tidal curves for about 20 stations in Ireland from Cork through Galway to Belfast.

We had a stand at the Paris Boat show and persuaded Garmin to include tidal stations on the Irish Charts.

Half a case of Black Bush later and they promised to have it included from July 2003 on. They were as good as their word and we switched from Simrad CE32 to garmin 188C as standard fit on our training boats. And yes after a month of active service I think we made a very good decision.

One word of caution ! If your unit is pre July 2003, you need a software upgrade to read tidal data on post July Chips. Contact a very helpful chap called Sam at Garmin Cartography Europe who will send you out a chip which will upgrade the software on your unit.

Best wishes,

Stuart
Powerboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2003, 21:16   #24

Town: Alton
Boat name: Arrow Flight
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercury 175 EFI
MMSI: 235026883
Garmin 188c

As the newbie, I thought I throw in my 10 penneth!

Just spent three weeks in Scillies using the 188c I bought a month ago. I also went for the Blue chart CD for the south coast and a PC/GPS power/data adapter. This setup allowed all waypoint creation with the click of a mouse on the PC. Then with route planning from Penzance across and some inter island routes also completed on the PC, another click of the mouse transferred the whole lot straight into the GPS, which was also on the desk and powered up. This allowed me to get to know the GPS and how to use it whilst 'sipping my Horlicks!', before needing it in anger on the RIB

As others have said, to get the tidal data working and some other nice software changes, you either need a chip upgrade, or in my case you just download the changes direct from the garmin web site, run the file and the GPS auto updates. The update took less than 2 minutes.

In use, the 188c is the dogs b**s. Its easy, reliable and the colour display is good. And now that the price is down to less than £900 and falling, its just getting better.

Cons?...the depth/fish finder works well enough, BUT, the transducer is transom mounted on an adjustable plastic bracket that clicks it into place and is designed to give way under load and flick up. However I have found that on high speed runs or lumpy seas, the bracket allows the transducer to flick up just a little too easily, requiring a push back down before shallow waters are reached! However, still v. happy with it and would recommend it.

ATB
Old 14 August 2003, 22:07   #25

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Alex put some water in the transom and dangle the thing in and see what happens. Don't think it makes any difference which way it points if you are mounting it inside the hull. Let me know how you get along then we will all follow your results.

Pete
Old 15 August 2003, 12:52   #26

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
Quote:
Originally posted by Pete7

I agree with Stuart great sets though.

Pete
can't be me
Old 16 August 2003, 18:25   #27

Town: Stockholm
Boat name: Sea Dachshound
Make: ..shopping for a RIB
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 90 4-stroke
MMSI: 265585460
transducer - temp thru hull....

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Brown
Pete,

Yeah, I saw on Garygee's rib that he had his transducer on the inside of the hull.... only downside being that the temp doesn't work, but since I don't actually fish with the damn thing that probably won't make much diff.
-Alex
FYI, if it matters a bit anyway...
I am shopping for a 188c too at some point, and according to the oldschool naval dealer i spoke too a while back, properly epoxied to the hull it may well work through the hull anyway..depending
on what's down there tempwise...
watertemps will obviously feed thru the hull anyways with very little disturbance unless it's in your inboard engine room or similar...
YMMV