Old 09 January 2005, 15:46   #41

Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
Tony
I can't swear to this but assuming your friend in the U.S is packing the item for you and he marks the customs label 'gift' or your buying from him second hand ( which in effect you are) there's no VAT applicable as the US taxes will already have been paid on purchase. Anyone else any info on this?
Kernow
Old 09 January 2005, 18:11   #42

Town: sunny south coast
Boat name: Pride of Bilboa
Length: 10m +
MMSI: 4
I phoned usps prior to the Garmin being posted Kernow.. According to them, even if it is a gift, duty is still to be paid in the UK.. (I thought the other way as well).. The following is taken from usps customs guidelines for Great Britain..

3. All goods sent to the UK are liable to customs duty and Value Added Tax on importation whether or not the package is marked as a "gift." Packages are admitted free of customs charges, however, if they meet the following conditions:

a. Gift packages of small value provided they do not contain any tobacco goods, spirits or wine;

b. Gift packages containing only well-worn clothing (excluding garments of high value), limited quantities of foodstuffs (other than caviar), soap or consumable medical supplies.

4. Postal packages without a customs declaration that contain goods liable to customs duty or control may be seized by the customs authorities.

5. Firearms that are intended for sporting purposes are mailable to Great Britain, provided the prospective addressee has obtained the required import license.

The only other thing thats exempt are business papers..

It's due to arrive tomorrow.. (According to parceforces' tracking service.. )
Old 09 January 2005, 20:58   #43

Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
Thats a shame Tony, however all is not lost, reading that you just need to tell the postman it's a gun!
Kernow
Old 10 January 2005, 14:11   #44

Unfortunately our postie has no sense of humour..

It's just arrived, posted 5pm UScet time Weds.. Not bad considering it included the weekend.. Postage was $48, and a bunch of flowers for the sender $50, and no duty to pay.. Boxed and brand new Garmin 178c with dual frequency transducer and external gps antenna, a total of £420.. :very smug smiley:
Old 10 January 2005, 14:56   #45

Town: St Peter Port
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2 x 225hp Optimax
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwozere
Unfortunately our postie has no sense of humour..

It's just arrived, posted 5pm UScet time Weds.. Not bad considering it included the weekend.. Postage was $48, and a bunch of flowers for the sender $50, and no duty to pay.. Boxed and brand new Garmin 178c with dual frequency transducer and external gps antenna, a total of £420.. :very smug smiley:
Got mine for £400! (by the time you add freight etc) From Spain with no duty.

You'll hopefully like it........as I think they are the dogs dangly things. Although I'm sure 2"'s of screen extra wouldn't have hurt Garmin a huge amount!
Old 10 January 2005, 15:19   #46

£400??? I feel cheated... (Altho if I took the flowers out of the total, and had it shipped cheaper"erly".. it would have run to about £375. But from the States, there's the risk it's going to be opened and then subject to duty, whereas I would imagine it's safer from Spain..)

And yeah, they are the dogs dangly bits.. Having seen it up against the Navman and Lowrance at a local chandlers, it had better everything.. (Apart from the screen size), but thats ok for the Solent..