Old 28 September 2011, 08:22   #1

Town: Stonehaven
Boat name: Sunday Best
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yammy 90
Fuses

Hey folks,

Please see the attached photo. My GPS stopped working, along with my bilge pump, and after some investigation (I am not a sparkie so it took me a while! haha), I am losing 5 Volts, over my fuses as they are corroded, or i assume that is the reason. Where can i get this kind of fuse, and are they normal or are they old fashioned now? Should i upgrade to something different?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Cheers

Si
I always apply maNthematics to my purchases - tell her it cost a chunk less than it did, then tell her I got a chunk more than I really did for the one I sold... The new purchase seldom costs a penny...
SimonCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2011, 08:44   #2

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
You'll get them from any car accessory shop. But it looks like all of your electrics could do with sorting!
Old 28 September 2011, 08:47   #3

And what's wrong with them!? =P
I always apply maNthematics to my purchases - tell her it cost a chunk less than it did, then tell her I got a chunk more than I really did for the one I sold... The new purchase seldom costs a penny...
Old 28 September 2011, 09:16   #4

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Well, if you have to ask that, then I can only assume it's diy!

I'm sure it all works, but it's hardly to "industry standard", a few tie wraps, some heat shrink and correctly mounting the battery switch would be a start.
Old 28 September 2011, 13:40   #5

Well what can I say!? I've always been one for functionality over aesthetics!
Old 28 September 2011, 13:58   #6

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I've had a similar voltage drop & I suspect even with new fuses you'll soon be back to things stoping working , and then the engine wont start ...which can be avoided with an afternoon of fidding and replacing.

I'd invest some money in some new 'bits' ( switch/ fuses/ wires) and do it yourself to make sure its all up to scratch.
Old 28 September 2011, 14:12   #7

Town: Rosas
Boat name: Conqueror
Make: Valiant
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard 150hp Merc
Send a message via Skype™ to Courageous
Don't listen to them Simon - it's a luverly job! Labelled up, nice offset in the lower link to finish it off. Errm........ on second thoughts scrap the lot! There was recent thread on here relating to just this type of malais:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f37/fuses-o...nel-43028.html
Old 28 September 2011, 14:17   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonCh View Post
Well what can I say!? I've always been one for functionality over aesthetics!
The suggestions Dirk makes though are about maintaining functionality / reliability.

If they are "critical systems" then the fact they have failed already means you are not ticking the functional box either.

At the least I would be making sure that I knew how to "debug" the system, and work around your most likely failures. If it took you a while to work out that fuses in that state were likely the problem then I think I'd opt for the "make it bomb proof" approach rather than "it will do and I'll fix it when I need to". At the very least make sure you know how to start the engine without the battery - as if the fuses are getting that corroded the isolator switch probably will one day too.

PS. My own electrics aren't much better - but I have backups for everything and a pull start on the engine, and I installed them all as a "quicky to test them" 4 or 5 yrs ago and they are still working - I may be about to replace the battery etc so will do all the wiring at the same time.
Old 28 September 2011, 14:37   #9

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
x2 for replacing that mess of wiring. This is also one of those few occasions when you should use the more expensive 'marine' version as they will be stainless or tinned which will give you trouble free life.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2011, 14:56   #10

Town: England
Boat name: n/a
Make: n/a
Length: no boat
Engine: n/a
Yeah do what I did in this thread: http://www.rib.net/forum/f37/fuses-o...nel-43028.html

Scrap the lot and get a BEP panel with blade fuses.
Old 03 October 2011, 08:59   #11

cheers for the assistance guys. All sound advice as always, and taken on board, I have purchased more fuses for now, as wont be using the boat much more this year, and new electronics is a job for the spring methinks

Thanks Again

Si