Old 08 April 2004, 17:12   #21

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Navman

We have tracker 5600 and fish 4200 two by fuel trandsucers to either unit.The fuel trandsucers suffer from vibration, we had to change to very flexible lines each side and loops of hose to dampen the vibration,, not 100% accurate but useable.However as for Navman in two years 3 plotters and 2 fishfinders and like pulling teeth to get the replacemnts under warranty.Worldwide warranty, yet I couldnt get dealers at Southampton to accept the returns, weeks waiting, sorry in the last case 3 months, waiting for our warranty to be honoured.After spending quite a bit of cash on these units when they only came out, now we use a stick to dip our tanks, as sticks dont lie, steer clear of navman.

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 April 2004, 17:34   #22

Town: Helston, Cornwall
Boat name: Silver Fern
Make: Rayglass Protector
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235024092
Send a message via AIM to gingercoastie Send a message via MSN to gingercoastie
Not had a moments trouble with my Navman kit.

I have a fishfinder, GPS, speed, depth and fuel displays and all have worked faultlessly, including the fuel sensor.

So in my opinion they are good bits of kit well worth having.

With regards to returns and replacement kit, I seem to remember even the likes of Garmin have had thier problems, but I will say that ICOM were excellent when my M601 wouldn't talk the the coastguard DSC (thanks Jon).

Its all got to go - make me an offer...............

Skype - alexgreig
gingercoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 April 2004, 17:40   #23

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingercoastie
Not had a moments trouble with my Navman kit.

Give it time!

With regards to returns and replacement kit, I seem to remember even the likes of Garmin have had thier problems,
Garmin products may well have their faults, but the after sales service is incredible.
Old 08 April 2004, 17:52   #24

Town: Helston, Cornwall
Boat name: Silver Fern
Make: Rayglass Protector
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235024092
Send a message via AIM to gingercoastie Send a message via MSN to gingercoastie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler
Garmin products may well have their faults, but the after sales service is incredible.
Wouldn't that be better the other way around.

Its all got to go - make me an offer...............

Skype - alexgreig
gingercoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 April 2004, 17:59   #25

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Navman again

If the stuff including the fuel part worked, I would have some respect for it, to be fair the fuel trandsucers despite calibrations and recalibrations are pretty okay, its the stuff it gets displayed on ie plotter or fish finder, in two years we have notched up 300 hrs, unfortunatly each Navman device on average has only done 60 hrs each, that of course would be accurate if it was on the boat for each trip, its not , it spends quite a while getting repaired or replaced, Ip 67 is one step down from oil rig standard IP stuff.Even now we leave the covers off the fishfinder/ plotter because if we dont you wont be able to see tro the condensation, on the screen
http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread....light=plastimo
we have put the hours up on the stuff, neither the plotter or fishfinder are reliable and if you are depending on it forget it, use a dipstick

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 April 2004, 18:10   #26

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Don't even think about using one of these things on an XR2 with a pulse pump - trust me!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 April 2004, 07:50   #27

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingercoastie
Wouldn't that be better the other way around.
So you want something that hardly ever goes wrong, but when it does the supplier aint interested in fixing it.

Better ask gavin for one of his dipsticks!

Although Garmin would agree that they have quite a few returns, surely this is due to the amount that they sell.

Over the years I have supplied loads of Garmin plotters and GPS's, and have had to return two of them. Both of the problems were caused by the owners. The last one was a colour plotter that the owner had cleaned the screen with a brillo pad or similar, resulting in deep scratches and removal of anti glare film making the unit unreadable. No problems at all, just handed the unit over in return for a brand new boxed unit, complete with an antennae. They could have told me to sod off, or charged for a repair, but they didn't.

Try turning up at Plastimo's with a broken Navman and let me know how you get on!