Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 22 April 2007, 11:01   #21
RIBnet supporter
 
Erin's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
It'd still be cheaper to get 104 litres at channel islands prices
You're damn right it is. Just filled up this morning and amazingly it's cheaper than last year. Only 49.5p per litre. Fantastic
__________________
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2007, 12:13   #22
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
You're damn right it is. Just filled up this morning and amazingly it's cheaper than last year. Only 49.5p per litre. Fantastic
Oh shut up!!!

Our petrol would be about 28p per litre without all the taxes!!!
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2007, 12:50   #23
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Seashell
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard diesel
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
You're damn right it is. Just filled up this morning and amazingly it's cheaper than last year. Only 49.5p per litre. Fantastic
That compares to the 119p a litre I paid in Cowes this afternoon
__________________
Tim M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2007, 12:39   #24
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
That compares to the 119p a litre I paid in Cowes this afternoon
Why pay it? If everyone refused they may drop their prices.
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2007, 14:04   #25
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Why pay it? If everyone refused they may drop their prices.
or they may close the fuel barge and you would HAVE to use jerry cans.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2007, 14:11   #26
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
or they may close the fuel barge and you would HAVE to use jerry cans.
They obviously don't understand the simple concept of competitive pricing. I bet they would sell far more fuel and make more money if they dropped their prices. Obviously they can't compete with the supermarkets but people would pay a SMALL premium - 30p a litre is daylight robbery!!!

At those prices it would be worth filling up loads of cans and charging boaters an extra - say 15p a litre - you would make a fortune!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2007, 14:27   #27
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
They obviously don't understand the simple concept of competitive pricing. I bet they would sell far more fuel and make more money if they dropped their prices. Obviously they can't compete with the supermarkets but people would pay a SMALL premium - 30p a litre is daylight robbery!!!

At those prices it would be worth filling up loads of cans and charging boaters an extra - say 15p a litre - you would make a fortune!!!
Nah - you obviously don't understand the effects of reducing prices on your bottom line... ...you need to massively increase your volumes to compensate.

Lets assume that the current forecourt price is 95p/L. Lets assume the marina pay 90p per L (I suspect they will be lucky to get it for that). They sell it at 120p per L. If they sell 10,000 L in a given period of time, they make 0.3 x 10,000 = 3000 gross profit.

Now if the marina reduce their price to 100p per L (still more than the forecourt). Then to make the same gross profit they have to sell 3x as much fuel. That just won't happen. Nobody increases volume by 3x overnight by reducing prices - especially in a market like they are where they largely rely on passing trade. The customers who choose not to use them are typically small volume users (because jerry cans or towing the boat to the forecourt are realistic alternatives) - so he probably has to find 5 or 6x as many customers to get the 3x the volume.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2007, 14:31   #28
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Seashell
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard diesel
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Why pay it? If everyone refused they may drop their prices.
Because I had a nearly empty tank and fancied getting home without calling out the RNLI

I do object to paying that much, so much so I only put 40litres in to get me home so I can fill up in Gosport. Premier say they charge it at cost, but how come their cost is so much more than any small independant filling station - surly there costs are similar??
__________________
Tim M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2007, 17:35   #29
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Nah - you obviously don't understand the effects of reducing prices on your bottom line... ...you need to massively increase your volumes to compensate.

Lets assume that the current forecourt price is 95p/L. Lets assume the marina pay 90p per L (I suspect they will be lucky to get it for that). They sell it at 120p per L. If they sell 10,000 L in a given period of time, they make 0.3 x 10,000 = 3000 gross profit.

Now if the marina reduce their price to 100p per L (still more than the forecourt). Then to make the same gross profit they have to sell 3x as much fuel. That just won't happen. Nobody increases volume by 3x overnight by reducing prices - especially in a market like they are where they largely rely on passing trade. The customers who choose not to use them are typically small volume users (because jerry cans or towing the boat to the forecourt are realistic alternatives) - so he probably has to find 5 or 6x as many customers to get the 3x the volume.
I am quite capable of working that out - I still think they would increase their volume substantially. My mates garages increased their petrol volume by about 7 or 8 times when they switched suppliers and out their prices down.

Take an extreme example and use your maths. How much would they make if they put the price up to 2 a litre? Absolutely nothing - zilch!!! Would it be that difficult to increase the volume then by 3x if they dropped the price? No I don't think so.

A classic example is a garage near me that sells LPG - they charge 50p per litre for it - another garage in Swansea charges 40p - the garage that charges 50p only gets about 10 or 12 sales a week - the cheaper place always sells out!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2007, 18:35   #30
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I am quite capable of working that out - I still think they would increase their volume substantially. My mates garages increased their petrol volume by about 7 or 8 times when they switched suppliers and out their prices down.

Take an extreme example and use your maths. How much would they make if they put the price up to 2 a litre? Absolutely nothing - zilch!!! Would it be that difficult to increase the volume then by 3x if they dropped the price? No I don't think so.

A classic example is a garage near me that sells LPG - they charge 50p per litre for it - another garage in Swansea charges 40p - the garage that charges 50p only gets about 10 or 12 sales a week - the cheaper place always sells out!!!
Cod - I don't really want to get into an argument with you on setting prices for this sort of thing as its clearly something you have little experience of or you would follow the arguments. I'm not breaking new ground here - this is well established business thinking.

I very much doubt that there are that many people driving past his fuel dock that he could triple his volume of sales by reducing prices. Your argument only works if he is losing lots of customers as a result of his high prices. Presumably since he is still selling fuel he is not. At 2/L he probably would (although then he only needs about 1/4 of his current volume)

Forecourt petrol prices are a different story. There are generally more options (i.e. competition). Petrol stations make profit from you in other ways (I have never used a marina/harbour fuel dock - but I assume they don't sell overpriced chocolate, drinks, bread, milk etc). Petrol prices are generally lower in cities because - there are more cars/customers and so the volume curve works but also there is obvious competition. Are you one of these people who drives 20 miles to save 1p/L? The reality is most people don't do that in their car - and definitely wont do it in a boat.

There are rarely two fuel docks / barges / harbours selling petrol within a mile of each other on the water. Bearing in mind that each nm usually uses about 1L of fuel (~1) for most people here, even filling a 200L tank it is only economical travelling 2nm (round trip) for each 1p/L you can save. Would you go on a 1 hour round trip in your boat to save a couple of pounds?

LPG customers are particularly price conscious (thats why they have LPG cars) so the effect will be exagerated. Petrol boat owners are not generally as price conscious or they would follow other more ecconomical pursuits.

Finally it all comes down to the fact that the core function of the harbour/marina's business is not to sell fuel. Its something they do for the convenience of their clients. He probably isn't going to lose sleep if he doesn't sell any fuel, it has a pile of HMRC, local authority license, HSE, insurance, Environment Agency headaches attached to it that he could do without.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.