Old 13 July 2004, 16:47   #1

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Flush mount or bracket for GPS?

Just about to install a Garmin chartplotter on my new rib. Was thinking about flush mounting it for the sake of neatest appearance and also no need to remove it before putting console cover on, and wires will be hidden.... but that was until I broke the identical model on my parents 19 foot motor boat at the weekend. I basically came off the top of a big wave and the whole boat shuddered violently and the GPS suddenly lost the ability to pick up satelites. Seems to be alright after a night off, but I guess I'll be doing the same in my rib soon

So the question is.... is a flush mounted plotter going to be more prone to vibration and shocks than say one on a bracket mount which does at least have a very slight amount of wobbleness to absorb hard knocks? Anyone else managed to break a GPS?
Old 13 July 2004, 18:14   #2

Town: Iver, Bucks, UK
Boat name: Prime Rib II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Engine: Mercruiser 1.7 diese
MMSI: 235086032
I've had a flush mounted GPS on both my RIBS with no problem due to shocks. Just more difficult getting it off for the winter. Less likely to drop it though! On balance, quite happy with it fixed.

However, a word of warning, I've had two Garmin 182's over the past 2 years leak.... and I now know why.
The instructions to flush mount that Garmin give you, tell you to screw through the console into the metal screw threads in the unit. That's fine but these threads are positioned in a slightly recessed part of the unit. No problem with a bracket mount but when you tighten up on the flush mount version, you are effectively pulling the metal threads away from the unit. In mine, that caused cracks in the plastic around those metal fittings, which leaked.
I've now got round the problem by placing a stainless steel washer on top of the metal threads. They are almost the same thickness as the plastic recess and they stop the pressure on the plastic.

Incidentally, Garmin were as always immeasurably helpful and replaced both units under warranty. New one works fine.

Mike C
Old 14 July 2004, 07:42   #3

Town: Nutbourne
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porter
Engine: 140 Tohatsu
MMSI: 235022904
Just one point worth thinking about.
If your flush mounted unit (GPS, Sounder, VHF etc.) gives up the ghost and you need to replace it, you will have a devil of a job to find something that fits the hole. I know that you would normaly go for the same model, but if it is no longer available you will have to go for a bigger unit or fit a blanking plate.
I have this problem with my VHF which will have to be replaced this winter, if not sooner.
Plea to electronics manufacturers - "Please, please come up with a series of standard mountings."
Old 14 July 2004, 08:17   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Mark
What VHF do you have now and why will you be considering replacing it?
Old 14 July 2004, 09:07   #5

Town: Nutbourne
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porter
Engine: 140 Tohatsu
MMSI: 235022904
Brian
Its an old Navicom/Simrad Axis 1400 and the elememts are finally taking their toll. No real problem, just old age, bit like me.
Old 14 July 2004, 09:43   #6

Town: ATHENS
Boat name: SUN KISS II
Make: Nuova Bat 9 Falcon -
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard Mercury 115
Send a message via Skype™ to batfalcon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Halliday
Brian
Its an old Navicom/Simrad Axis 1400 and the elememts are finally taking their toll. No real problem, just old age, bit like me.
"Others age, some mature" like James Bond says

batfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2004, 10:55   #7

Town: Copenhagen
Boat name: Nemesis
Make: CAPE 79
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki 250 4 stroke
Send a message via AIM to Rene Send a message via MSN to Rene
Hi

I tend to go with the bracket mount.

This makes it a lot easy'er to read in the sun light (Not a real problem this summer), when you can change the angle of the unit.

Go bracket go

Rene
Old 14 July 2004, 14:50   #8

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Brackets

need to be careful with brackets on a RIB - if you get thrown onto one they can be very sharp and painful!

Duncan
Old 14 July 2004, 17:31   #9

Thanks for the tips. I hadn't considered the angle thing. Chances are it won't be optimum and is likely to reflect the sun more often than not.
Old 14 July 2004, 19:07   #10

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Engine: PCM 5.7l
I cant say ive had a problem with my raymarine reflecting sunlight yet.
Ive flush mounted, one of the reasons being i dont want to carry it around with me whenever i leave the boat.
Old 14 July 2004, 19:23   #11

Town: Poole
Make: Humber - Ocean Pro
Engine: 200 Mariner Optimax
Just one other thing to consider....
Where are you going to keep the boat, or leave it unattended?

From a security point of view this is worth considering 'cos lets face it, theyre not cheap bits of kit.

I've just got back from fitting my 182c. I surface mounted it as I have with the other electronics. That way I can sleep safe in the knowledge that I have all the expensive bits at home!

Just a thought.....
Old 14 July 2004, 19:57   #12

Town: West Wickham
Boat name: Aries IV
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Etec 250
MMSI: 235036477
Of course, if you do bracket-mount, then you HAVE to take it with you, even if you are just staying at a marina for lunch. A 10" chart plotter is quite a lot to carry around.

I once lost my (brand new) ensign & staff at Cowes Marina, through "wearing" it over lunchtime ... the boat, that is - not me!

I shall almost certainly go for flush mount when I order my boat at the end of the 2005 season - Unfortunately, I have to buy a launch vehicle in the meantime!

Chris.
Old 14 July 2004, 22:57   #13

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Engine: PCM 5.7l
I had to remove my plotter yesterday because the backlight wasn't working and needed at repair and i can tell you it was an absolute mission to get it out.
To get it out you need access to the inside of the console, the way Lee builds his ribs the owner isn't suposed to get into that part of the console and it is bolted shut from the inside with only a small hole to get at the bolts.

Then there are 4 bolts holding the plotter to the console, and then enough silicon that it needed cutting of the front.

Its certainly a long job to remove, so i have no worries about it being stolen where i keep it at present.
Old 15 July 2004, 17:58   #14

I'm on a swinging mooring which of course is unattended, but the console will be under a cover from casual prying eyes, and we are talking about the channel islands where theft is a lesser risk normally. If I was to have it bracket mounted all that would happen is I'd demount it after a trip and put it in a locker somewhere, so no more real security than having it bolt fixed as a flush mount.
Old 15 July 2004, 22:09   #15

Make: Ribtec
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha F225
Flush mounting, if you have space on your consol, is the way to go.

Had a Garmin bracket mounted on my old '585 and no matter how hard you did the screws up at the side, the GPS would be flapping around after 20 minutes.

Eventually I had a bracket custom made at some considerable expense, which then supported the whole of the back of the GPS which worked OK.

And Dave, you'd find it easier to get inside the front of your consol if you shed a few pounds mate. As if I can talk....

ATB

Brian
Old 15 July 2004, 22:16   #16

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I agree with Brian. I lost a Garfmin GPS because it shook loose from the mounts whilst i was making my way across the Solent. and I would flush mount.

regrading the plea from Mark re standard electronics. yeah that would be great and standard plug too. However until theat happens why can't the console manufactures built cutouts abd supply blanking plates?
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2004, 00:11   #17

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Nah, far too sensible, Stu.