Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by floater
Hi

I work in the cctv industry for a supplier and one of the products we sell is a single and 4 channel ruggerdised dvr on a anti vibration tray, it also logs gps data using an epos system, i have used in the unit in my 4x4 (got cracking pictures of my mates pet rabbit squashed on the side of the road) an hope to try in the rib this year as for cameras only go for ccd with auto iris and if possible antivibration and stabilty and in a stainless or nylar housing

hope this helps

if you need further info contact me

Andy

What would be of use is names of a good supplier of this sort of equipment - especially good waterproof bullet cameras and what to look for - we're finding our own way at the moment, but we could do with some expert help!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 March 2006, 13:45   #22

Town: Cardiff
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp OB
I tired a cheap - CMOS camera running to the av in on a digi camcorder - picture quality was ok but not anything fantastic. It's ok as a gimmik and gives your videos a bit of a twist but doesnt really show much. footage is good when edited with some shots from the main camera itself ie full screen vid of boat with smaller in-frame of shot from drivers point of view. Have also used the same system for some snow skiing shots and white water kayaking.

Since then I bought an aquapac (www.aquapac.co.uk) for the camcorder. Have used it while snorkelling total submerged in Oz last year and was pleasantly surprised with the outcome. Have to be careful to make sure the seal is clean before closing it and I wouldn't totally submerge for any length of time if you weren't willing to flood the camera, but for protection from spray etc and the occasional dunking it is fine.

Mike
Old 20 May 2006, 17:56   #23

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Various
Make: Commercial
Length: 10m +
Engine: Screw / Voith / Jets
Send a message via MSN to Alex Brown
Ok, here's the video output from a Bullet camera attached to my Firdell Blipper radar reflector. Unfortunately it shakes a bit, so I'll try mounting it to the a-frame itself next time, and then failing that, the centre console. Saying that though, the video has come out pretty good.
Weather down here today was calm but overcast - 10 to 15knots of wind from the WNW, with a slight 2 to 3metre swell rolling in through St Anns. Will try and get some more video when a bigger swell comes in sometime.

http://videos.ribseadrive.co.uk/crui...5-06_large.wmv - 768kbps

http://videos.ribseadrive.co.uk/crui...5-06_small.wmv - 300kbps

The camera is submersible in water, and it connects into a Canon DV camcorder hidden in my waterproof bag packed in a few fleece jackets.

-Alex
Old 20 May 2006, 17:57   #24

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Aquaholic
Make: Ribeye
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250 V8
Send a message via Skype™ to benc
Looks awesome, I will get one for my boat when I get settled into the new house
Old 20 May 2006, 18:26   #25

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Excellent stuff. Post some more.
Old 20 May 2006, 19:47   #26

Boat name: Jaws
Make: Gemini 4.2
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
MMSI: none
Send a message via MSN to Gray
i was thinking about this sort of thing the other day. Ive got a Sony DV Camera and i was thinking bout one of the aqua packs like Mike B mentioned. Question is how do they change the view through the camera and are they big enough so that the seams of the back don't get in the way of the lens.
Old 20 May 2006, 19:58   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B
I tired a cheap - CMOS camera running to the av in on a digi camcorder - picture quality was ok but not anything fantastic. It's ok as a gimmik and gives your videos a bit of a twist but doesnt really show much. footage is good when edited with some shots from the main camera itself ie full screen vid of boat with smaller in-frame of shot from drivers point of view. Have also used the same system for some snow skiing shots and white water kayaking.

Since then I bought an aquapac (www.aquapac.co.uk) for the camcorder. Have used it while snorkelling total submerged in Oz last year and was pleasantly surprised with the outcome. Have to be careful to make sure the seal is clean before closing it and I wouldn't totally submerge for any length of time if you weren't willing to flood the camera, but for protection from spray etc and the occasional dunking it is fine.

Mike
OWCH! £80 for one that fits a camcorder, anyone know of any cheaper?
Old 20 May 2006, 20:01   #28

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Sony do a waterproof housing for many of their camcorders.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2006, 20:39   #29

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Aquacrap (Aquapac) Bags

I have a Camcorder Aquapac and its a load of tosh. Its expensive and its very hard to use the controls when its in the bag. You can hear the aquapac making noises on the camera. And to cap it all the seams started to separate before it was one year old. It certainly isn't the answer.
All my Aquapac stuff has started to leak after about a years use. Now I just use a drybag and make sure my hands are dry before using anything and that its not going to get splashed.
I thought prior to buying it that because the camcorder bag was so expensive it would have a good lens. The lens seems to be made out of the same stuff as the rest of the bag.
Hope this helps someone from wasting there money.
Old 20 May 2006, 20:47   #30
GED

Town: CONWY/CORFU
Boat name: The Full Morty II
Make: Air Craft/Shakespere
Length: 8m +
Engine: Etec 300hp/Etec150hp
underwater drop camera

just fitted this to my rib ...the best fishfinder you,ll ever need
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0844 (Small).JPG
Views:	245
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	19420  
Old 20 May 2006, 22:07   #31

Town: Fairfield
Boat name: Sunrider
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7.3
Engine: MerCruiser (bio)diesel 180hp I/O
GED...is that a Garmin 3210? Could you post a picture of how you've installed it on your console (or have you already posted the finished picture...didn't see it)? Which camera are you using...the one in the picture? Is it one of those designed for fixed placement in a thru hull?

I'm rebuilding my console now, have a 3210 on order and would like to see how you've positioned it in relation to your other electronics and controls. Also I would appreciate hearing anything you might have learned about waterproof switches for AV - to give more flexibility in and out between cameras, DVD, recorders and other electronics that can display video. Any info would be very helpful. thanks.....
Old 20 May 2006, 22:16   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles
I have a Camcorder Aquapac and its a load of tosh. Its expensive and its very hard to use the controls when its in the bag. You can hear the aquapac making noises on the camera. And to cap it all the seams started to separate before it was one year old. It certainly isn't the answer.
All my Aquapac stuff has started to leak after about a years use. Now I just use a drybag and make sure my hands are dry before using anything and that its not going to get splashed.
I thought prior to buying it that because the camcorder bag was so expensive it would have a good lens. The lens seems to be made out of the same stuff as the rest of the bag.
Hope this helps someone from wasting there money.
I wouldn't pay £80 for a bag but if you could pick one up cheap on ebay it may be worth it, but probably not if you are interested in the sound. If you loose quality of the recording through the plastic lens then theres not much point in taking the video i guess, just have to risk getting it splashed!
Old 20 May 2006, 22:33   #33
GED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrider
GED...is that a Garmin 3210? Could you post a picture of how you've installed it on your console (or have you already posted the finished picture...didn't see it)? Which camera are you using...the one in the picture? Is it one of those designed for fixed placement in a thru hull?

I'm rebuilding my console now, have a 3210 on order and would like to see how you've positioned it in relation to your other electronics and controls. Also I would appreciate hearing anything you might have learned about waterproof switches for AV - to give more flexibility in and out between cameras, DVD, recorders and other electronics that can display video. Any info would be very helpful. thanks.....
it is a garmin 3210 , im using a drop camera which is good for 50mts
the garmin has 2 video inputs which are connected via an external box at the side of the console
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0846 (Small).JPG
Views:	220
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	19421  
Old 20 May 2006, 22:47   #34

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by GED
just fitted this to my rib ...the best fishfinder you,ll ever need
You are making me wish I had gone for the Raymarine E80 with it's AV inputs instead of the C80.

You could also rig up low light cameras for night running!!!
Old 20 May 2006, 22:50   #35
GED

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
You are making me wish I had gone for the Raymarine E80 with it's AV inputs instead of the C80.

more picys to tees you
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0843 (Small).JPG
Views:	244
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	19424  
Old 20 May 2006, 23:14   #36

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Ah well i can always use a toughbook or one of the new UMPCs - handy for OS maps and garmin charts etc as well.
Old 23 May 2006, 15:57   #37

Town: knebworth
Boat name: phoenix
Make: xs
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115 opti
Send a message via MSN to mark-f Send a message via Skype™ to mark-f
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn

Yep same idea i had, I have a low light camera mounted on the a frame plumbed into my E120 so i have perfect night vision behind me without turning around and getting blinded by the all round white on the a frame.

for anyone that is interested here is the camera I used http://www.cctvstuff.co.uk/small_van...tv_cameras.htm

and if anyone try's it dont forget to get a camera that can reverse the image or forget trying to use it as a rearview mirror, just think left...right...mirror image of a normal rear view mirror and then what the camera image will display

mark