Old 04 March 2002, 15:22   #11

Town: Loch Lurgain
Boat name: an t-easnach
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 50
so i took your advice and rang them, dubious enough as the unit was bought second hand AND we'd attempted to repair ourselves. also not currently in UK so what service did I get?

1. Friendly. They answer the phone and dont leave u listening to greensleeves for 10 mins b4 you talk to an imbecile.

2. Efficient. Turn around in 10 days

3. Effective. Replaced parts with new, giving perfect instrument.

4. Fairly priced. I got the distinct impression that they weren't trying to 'charge what the market will bear'

I cannot comment on what gps is best for any particular application but I think GARMIN's repair service is a serious plus for anyone considering buying. They dont wash their hands of you once you've bought.

Old 05 March 2002, 03:15   #12

Town: Worcestershire
Boat name: Not Yet Named
Make: Avon SR 4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40 HP Yamaha Autolub
Agr

I have a Garmin Blue 160, and this seems to work fine. The transducer is transom mounted. The Blue is a new verion for seagoing use - and seems to have advantages over the previous 160s I have seen.

One caveat with ordering from the states - I recently ordered some things and was assured that import duties etc were taken into account ith the price quoted - only to have an additional 75 bill arrive some 2 months later. The explanation from customs was that they do not have the time to check all parcel arrivals, and they scan shipping notes as they can -sometimes much later on, and bill for any duties due! This came as a bit of a shock, and totally altered the advantage of buying from abroad.

Graeme

Old 05 March 2002, 15:32   #13

Town: Iver, Bucks, UK
Boat name: Prime Rib II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercruiser 1.7 diese
MMSI: 235086032
Back to the original question of transom mount v 'thru the hull'. I had my first 'fish finder' on Prime Rib with the transducer mounted on the transom. This was fine at low speed but useless on the plane. (OK, I have a twin set-up so the transducer was not really in the right place, but whatever... it didn't work very well when running fast.)
Then, with my second 'fish finder' I decided to mount, thru the hull. I cleaned off the bottom of the rear sump, (which on Prime Rib goes right to the bottom of the boat and is just solid hull through to the water) and araldited the new transducer to it. It works a treat. No problem from fouling at the transducer is inside the boat. So long as you glue to a solid piece of hull, (Fibreglass), i.e. not air pockets, the beam will penetrate through to the water.

Have fun

Mike C
Old 05 March 2002, 17:11   #14

Town: Leatherhead
Length: no boat
I agree

the transducer on my Ribcraft 4.8 is in the same place as Mike's (in the rear sump). I have tested the reading with a lead line and found the two to be within 0.2m of each other at various depths from 1.0m to 10m. Out of the two I would prefer the readings of the fishfinder as I'm never too sure when the lead has hit the bottom (as they say )

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 March 2002, 11:02   #15

Town: PORT TOWNSEND
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4.8
Engine: Yamaha F60
Ribald, Did you drill a hole in the sump area of the hull or did you arrange the transducer like Mike did. Hey, what does "araldited" mean. Is that a British product? How far from the center line of the boat did you mount the transducer. Any other ideas. I'm mounting a Garmin 188 transducer on my Ribcraft 4.8 next week.

Nick
Old 09 March 2002, 14:42   #16

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
transducers

For 25 yrs we have simply dropped the transducer in the sump of the fast fishing boats we have had and left it there without sticking it down - as long as it is single skinned and there is an inch or so of water in there its fine. We put the transducer in the sump of the ocean pro and screwed it there with the mounting bracket on the inside of the transom when we first had it to avoid holes thru transom and vulnerable bits on the outside for beaching. Worked ok (there is always some water in the sump) but we needed to move it but still wanted to be able to put it in another boat if need be so we stuck it in with silicone sealant. Totally against the instructions (loss of signal etc) but it works just as well and we have had one stuck in the Bayliner ski boat (been there 2 yrs now) in just the same way and its been no problem. If we want to move it to another I trust we will be able to peel the silicone off it! Our local boat angling club launches off a stoney beach and all their transducers are inside in the same fashion to avoid damage if they have a heavy landing on the beach.
Old 09 March 2002, 17:49   #17

Town: Leatherhead
Length: no boat
Nick,

My transducer if fitted in the sump - no holes were drilled through the hull that I can see (I bought the boat second-hand so did not see the original installation). The unit is fitted on the lateral center line of the boat at the lowest part of the sump just in front of the transom drain plug. (Be sure that you can remove this plug after fitting.) The only prob with this position is that I have dificulty in getting the hull/deck drain plug out.

The previous owner did tell me that it was necessary to keep a small amount of water in the bottom of the sump but I'm not too sure why - anyway there is always some in there anyway.

Araldite is a two-part adhesive that we have over here and will stick almost anything to anything else for good I think you have a similar product over there called JB Weld. However, I think Wavelength's idea of silicone would be better for easier removal if needed.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 March 2002, 18:09   #18

Good info. Thanks. I've seen installations in which the transducer is mouted in a plastic half dome which is up against the glass hull. the dome is filled with water or, I think, mineral oil. The half dome installation makes it possible for the transducer to point straight down even though the hull surface its mounted on is angled with deadrise. Does that make any sense at all? These inside solutions sound far better than mounting externally on the transom. which seems vulnerable to any number of hazzards.

I know about JB weld. Its a filled epoxy. I think I'll email Airmar, the transducer manufacturer for Garmin, for their 2 cents on the matter.

Nick
Old 09 March 2002, 18:18   #19

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
transducers

Ribald - the reason for the water is that it will not sound thru air - in fact the echo that comes back from fish is from the gas in the swim bladder rather than the flesh. When fitting with two part epoxy (or even the forbidden silicone!) it is important to ensure that there are no air bubbles in the mix. We have trouble sounding if we trim the motor out to excess due I am sure to air turbulence entering the water under the stern
Old 09 March 2002, 18:54   #20

Here is the website of an airmar transducer which seems ideal for a rib application:
http://www.airmar.com/whatsnew/f_whatsnew.htm

They're sold to the retail market through Gem Electronics 803-394-3565

Nick