Old 08 April 2002, 11:37   #1

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Fish Finder - a thought experiment!

Hello folks,

Having seen how useful, and how much fun, a fish finder can be (thanks to Graeme, Sian and Topaz - ouch!), I know that if I had a RIB I would certainly fit one. However I have a SIB, but does that rule out fitting such a device?

I understand that the transducer fits to the transom, well I’ve got one of those. The screen needs to be screwed down to something solid on the boat. Well, I have the front seat. Looking at the Fish Finders available they all seem to be powered by 12v boat electrics. Okay, I don’t have 12v power on Quicksilver. So then, 2 out of 3 is a good start.

How about getting a 12v motorcycle battery, fitting it inside a secure but removable plastic box and taking the power from that? The battery could easily be removed each time and re charged on a car battery charger. From looking at the technical specifications on the Fish Finders they don’t take much power and one full charge would probably last for several trips.

If I was transporting the boat the FF could be removed with the seat and the wiring disconnected. I could wire in some easy to disconnect fittings. I could just take the battery out whenever I was packing the boat away.

I’m not rushing out to get a FF, but Christmas is just 8 months or so away and I would need to start dropping the hint well in advance!

Well is it feasible, is it worth it, what do you think? Any one out there already done it?

A couple of diagrams are attached

Cheers

Keith (day dreamer) Hart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fish finder 2.gif
Views:	476
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	566  
Old 08 April 2002, 11:38   #2

Second diagram

Keith Hart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fish finder 1.gif
Views:	429
Size:	2.5 KB
ID:	567  
Old 08 April 2002, 12:18   #3

Town: Soesterberg
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4.2
Engine: 25hp 2 stroke
I did it!

On my inflatable I also have a fishfinder. More or less the in way you describe it.
I have just one bench in the Zodiac, so I am sitting on the tube, in front of me on the bench is the fish finder and a compass, keeping one seating place open (for the ole ball and chain...).

The battery is mounted in a box under the seat, so that I don't have too many wires running back and forth. It is a small dry battery of just 4AH, plenty to make a full day on the boat or several shorter trips.
The transducer is transom mounted...took a bit of experimenting on the position (out of reach of the propellor and not disturbed too much by air bubbles) not so easy on such a small transom.

At the end of the day I just take the whole seat of and take it home (I leave the boat on the trailer at a farmer near the slipway).

There is just one downside on the whole thing, when we are diving we have to be very carefull not to knock the FF of the bench while trying to put fins on or moving around the boat.

But it is a great instrument to have, you can't do without when diving but otherwise it also gives loads of usefull info, ask Graeme!

I would say Go for it...I have even been thinking about a GPS...but now with the plans for the new RIB in 2003 I leave it for what is is...

Good luck!

Eddy (who eats fish every day now) Veuger
Old 08 April 2002, 12:23   #4

Town: Portishead, Bristol
Boat name: "
Make: Ribcraft, Cowes Mari
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 90hp 4-strok
Send a message via AIM to jools
Excellent - and yes I'm sure it would work with no problems - as you say the current drawn by a fishfinder would be so low it the battery would last for weeks - you could also use it to power your GPS, charge your mobile phone, mini fridge for the beers etc etc.

The cheaper alternative would be to give your bowman - Bill - one of the oars and get him to "feel" with it out front!!

Or are you actually looking for fish in the deep?

One problem we had with our fishfinder on our NRA Cobra was that at speed the fishfinder would stop working - this is due, I think, to air and turbulance around the transducer. How do other people get on at speed - or was ours just badly positioned?
Old 08 April 2002, 12:40   #5

Town: Newfoundland
At speed..............

our fishfinder (Eagle) stops working - basically as soon as you are on the plane. Never got around to sorting it and frankly most RIBS I've been on have the same problem to one degree or another. To be honest if you are doing 20kts+ with a stern mounted transducer (therefore you have just gone over the depth being measured) then if its too shallow you already know about it 'cos you've hit the bottom with the engine leg!! If its that shallow you would want to be doing a lower speed anyway!

Of course if you want to be really flash then the answer is the echopilot forward looking sounders which will give you a picture ahead of the boat. Not cheap bits of kit though.

Keith - Your plan sounds perfectly feasible. Another option would be portable battery powered fishfinders with the transucer on a pole you manually stick over the side. I've seen these things in US catalogues/websites for bass fishing etc.

Cheers,
Alan
Old 08 April 2002, 15:43   #6

Oooooh sounds good so far.

Okay. Which one. I've found 2 cheap ones.

Eagle Fish Easy and Garmin 100 Blue.

Comments appreciated.

Keith (can't wait for christmas) Hart
Attached Images

Old 08 April 2002, 15:43   #7

Next the Garmin
Old 08 April 2002, 15:45   #8

Sorry, here it is:
Attached Images

Old 08 April 2002, 17:41   #9

Town: ATHENS
Boat name: SUN KISS II
Make: Nuova Bat 9 Falcon -
Engine: Outboard Mercury 115
Send a message via Skype™ to batfalcon
Keith,

I would go for the Garmin. It's much cheaper in Greece and the GPS plotter that I've got never failed me.
Can't wait for Christmas too. But before that, I can't wait for the summer vacations. After all, Why did we all buy our RIBS for ?

batfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 April 2002, 18:07   #10

Town: Isle of Skye
Boat name: Seafari - VHF CH 71
Make: Humbers+Catamaran
Length: 6m +
Engine: Volvo/Iveco/Suzuki
Humminbird?

Humminbird, or Piranha do a good one, quite new, completely portable, has own re-chargable battery, stick on transducer and waterproof and all that, saw one at the boatshow, and looks fine.
Would save you having to add a battery especially, and you can take it home so no-one can nick it!
Best i can do is get you to look at www.humminbird.com/hb_Products.asp?ID=229
Retails for about £110 (i think)
I have 3 of the humminbird ns25's and have had no trouble at all.
Cheers

Pete
Old 08 April 2002, 18:32   #11

Town: Worcestershire
Boat name: Not Yet Named
Make: Avon SR 4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40 HP Yamaha Autolub
Hi Keith

The Piranha range from Hummingbird is, as said above, very good value for money and are completely portable.

I have, however, heard varying reports about their effectiveness.

My Fishfinder - which you saw the effectivenes of when finding our way back to the locks - is the Garmin 160 Blue. It is dual frequency an very effective. The only difference form the 100 is the screen size.

As Alan has rightly said, they are of little use at speed, but in restricted waters your speed would be such that they are effective.

I would disagree slightly with the argument that on the transom they are of little use. If monitored closely they do show the pattern of the sea bed, and you can anticipate problems. Yes, a forward facing transducer would be better, but at several times the cost.

Another thing to consider is if you need the'Blue' version of the 100 - this is a seagoing version - you may be able to use the standard 100, which is even less money if you are minaly cruising fresh water.

Al in all the Garmin range are ver good - and the customer service they offer is also excellent.

More decisions to make!
Old 08 April 2002, 19:36   #12
GED

Town: CONWY/CORFU
Boat name: The Full Morty II
Make: Air Craft/Shakespere
Length: 8m +
Engine: Etec 300hp/Etec150hp
UNDERWATER CAMERA

THE BEST FISH FINDER YOU CAN BUY IS AN UNDERWATER CAMERA.
THEY COME COMPLETE WITH MONITOR, BATTERY AND CABLE.
YOU CAN SEE THE SEA BED, FISH,LOST PROPS,UNDERSIDE OF YOUR BOAT AND MANY MORE USES
Old 08 April 2002, 20:20   #13

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Eagle also do a portable version designed for inflatables, the sounder fits on top of the battery unit in a water proof case. Eagle (same factory as Lowrance) are also very rugged, wish I could say the same about some of the other bits I have had.

Echo sounders should work at speed certainly 20 knots, which is great for searching or wrecks as you can cover a big area with a couple of dive boats. You can use them through the hull if the sounder is reasonably powerful and still get a good picture. The 'well' at the back of some ribs is great for this so long as it fixed to the inside of the hull. The instructions say use epoxy resin but mastic gives good results so long as care is taken to ensure there are no voids or bubbles.

But the greatest advantage to an echo sounder is they stop ppl running aground and damaging props when they see how shallow its getting, they really are worth there weight in gold
Old 08 April 2002, 20:25   #14

It gets better and better.

Pete, the Hummingbird would certainly fit the bill. It looks good, but could be expensive on batteries (8 x AA), however it would be simple to fit. It is certainly a top contender. Has any one got one of these?

Graeme, I was looking at the Garmin 100 'Blue' as most times Quicksilver is out in salt water. Although in Cardiff we seemed to be in slurry most of the time! As you mentioned it certainly did help us to get back through the barrage. We were able to see when the sea bed was rising and falling. I think that without it we would have had to cruise around outside the bay for a couple of hours untill the tide came in again.

Keith (getting excited and can't wait for Christmas) Hart
Old 08 April 2002, 21:29   #15

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Hmm, took a while to find and still can't locate the Eagle / Lowrance site but this is what I was looking for as the solution.

http://www.onlinemarine.com/cgi-loca...7b7+1024345849

Not used the company bu the pic is what we are after.
Old 08 April 2002, 21:38   #16

Town: Portishead, Bristol
Boat name: "
Make: Ribcraft, Cowes Mari
Engine: Mercury 90hp 4-strok
Send a message via AIM to jools
On our NRA RIB we had an older version of the 3D Hummingbird This scans accross the back of the boat giving you depth to the left and right of your current position, and as you move through the water draws a "3D" image - this must be good for finding wrecks!
Old 08 April 2002, 23:38   #17

Town: Isle of Skye
Boat name: Seafari - VHF CH 71
Make: Humbers+Catamaran
Length: 6m +
Engine: Volvo/Iveco/Suzuki
Humminbird Price

Have not used this actual model, but the quality of the NS25 'bottom' readout is very good, I have it sikaflexed to the engine well and it does fine for me, gives accurate depth, at speeds of around 25knots, and at slow speeds fine.. none of this drill through the hull stuff..would recommend it to anyone . Battery prices.. is not expensive as it is re-chargable.
Will email you aprice in the next couple of days to temp you..

Pete
Old 09 April 2002, 06:02   #18

Hi

Just checking before going off to work. Check out the 3d Hummingbird page on Jools posting, then play with the 3d demo. Great fun.

More research in depth (pun intended) after work!

Keith Hart
Old 09 April 2002, 11:45   #19

Town: Upavon, Wiltshire
Boat name: Dromedary
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.55
Engine: Honda 130
Keith

I had the 3D sounder on my last RIB and it was very good. I you cannot wait till Xmas then you could get a bargin either new/second hand at Beaulieu on the 28th I would think that your outboard has an output to charge a battrey and this can then be used for lots of other things (hand held light, the fridge for the cold drinks etc.) If you need a hand let me know.

John
Old 10 April 2002, 06:09   #20

Hey I must admit that I thought GED'd posting about an underwater camera on the front of the boat was a joke, BUT, take a look here:

http://www.seaviewer.com/fishing-vid...der-tackle.htm

Anyway, having looked around a bit I am leaning towards the Piranha portable at the moment. It seems very easy to use and install. I've yet to find a uk dealer though (website). I'll keep searching the web but if in the meantime anyone knows of a dealer selling them in the uk, please let me know. Cheers.

Keith (hidden depths) Hart

PS the jagged red scar on my forehead (from SoC weekend) makes me look like Harry Potter