Old 20 May 2007, 18:38   #1

Town: Boat Lake Geneva
Boat name: Lark
Make: Capelli Cap 32 WA
Length: 10m +
Engine: Yamaha 250x2
MMSI: 235096621
epirbs

I was thinking of getting an epirb, but i'm not sure whether to go for an epirb or plb. does anyone use either and have any recomendations for me?? your help on this purchase would be very much welcomed.

regards richard
Old 20 May 2007, 19:03   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
For the same money you can get a sat phone as well.
Old 20 May 2007, 19:48   #3

codprawn, is that the route you have taken?
Old 22 May 2007, 14:10   #4

Town: Crawley, West Sussex
Boat name: Sussex Explorer
Make: Quinquari
Engine: 2 x 200hp etecs
I have (although I hope never to have to use it) a McMurdo Findfast Plus PLB

Same functionality as an EPIRB apart from not water activated (which is a good thing in a RIB) but its fastened to me, therefore it doesnt matter what happens to the boat, it with me wether Im a MOB or onboard with a situation, also as I use several boats its with me whatever boat Im in.

Pete
><((()º>
Old 22 May 2007, 14:37   #5

Thanks for that pete. The PLB seems a good solution and is a bit more flexible should I get lost crossing the Sahara !!!
Old 22 May 2007, 15:32   #6

Town: Essex
Boat name: Cetacean Protector
Make: Plasteco Milano
Length: 5m +
Engine: 75hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardjawilson View Post
Thanks for that pete. The PLB seems a good solution and is a bit more flexible should I get lost crossing the Sahara !!!
It won't help you there - there is no international protocol for responding to inland activated PLBs / EPIRBS - and indeed via COSPAS/SARSAT satellites there are some significant blackspots...

Seriously though, I'd go for an EPIRB every time. Unless I'm wrong about Codders model, satphones won't self activate if you sink, won't transmit a position, and I'm not sure about their longevity if floating around on their own - certainly ours don't like it!

EPIRBS run on 406MHz, and are picked up within at least 30-45 minutes of activation depending on satellite position, in most cases much faster. They're also of great us if you're in countries without much of a search and rescue service - MRCC Falmouth handle many calls each year from some very strange places indeed...

The PLB option usually has a dual 121.5MHz transmitter, not recognised for SAR activation but useful for close location, e.g. VHF DF from lifeboats.

I'd definately go for the EPIRB, but if you do, remember to keep the EPIRB Registry of the MCA advised of any changes of address, vessel sale, etc.

Simon
Old 22 May 2007, 15:46   #7

Town: Exmouth, Devon
Length: no boat
For the avoidance of doubt, the McMurdo FastFind PLB (with or without GPS) is dual frequency - ie 406 and 121.5MHz with full Falmouth MMSI registration. The SmartFind EPIRB is 406 only.

Anyone who wants a RIBnet special on these, just let me know (ie ignore our current website price).

See here for more on McMurdo products and some background info as well

There's also some new GME PLBs coming out soon. They've been held up by type approval, but I'm sure they'll be very competitive.

Mike
Old 22 May 2007, 19:47   #8

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Sat phones do float and are fully waterproof - if you keep them in a case!!!

In a RIB for just around the UK coast I really don't think either is needed. Far better to have a waterproof VHF attached to your jacket at all times.

Many long distance yachtsmen prefer a sat phone over an Epirb as they can get other forms of assistance as well - medical help for example.
Old 23 May 2007, 02:32   #9
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
[QUOTE=MikeCC;200976] For the avoidance of doubt, the McMurdo FastFind PLB (with or without GPS) is dual frequency - ie 406 and 121.5MHz with full Falmouth MMSI registration. The SmartFind EPIRB is 406 only.

Anyone who wants a RIBnet special on these, just let me know (ie ignore our current website price).

Hi Mike... can you let me know how much for a GPS equipped Fastfind?

cheers
Andy
Old 23 May 2007, 08:08   #10

With an epirb with gps I guess i doesn't matter if its only 406. I understand they are turning off the 121.5 band in 2009......is that right.

Mike could you let me know the prices of a smartfind eprib with and without gps, but I dont need the float free automatic housing.

thanks richard
Old 25 May 2007, 20:14   #11

Length: 4m +
All current 406 EPIRBs and PLB's ACR, McMurdo etc transmit on both frequencies with 406 Mhz used for satellite communication and 121.5 for local homing.

An EPIRB is designed to float and a PLB will need to be held clear of the water or mounted high on a PFD to transmit. An EPIRB will transmit for 48hrs and a PLB 24hrs. An EPIRB is registered to the vessel and a PLB to a person. EPIRBS have a strobe light PLB's don't. EPIRB's can be manual or water activated PLB's are manual only.

With regard GPS or STD its a matter of response time and not really pin-pointing. All 406 MHz beacons (GPS and STD) can be heard by the GEOSATs (stationary satellites) and LEOSARs (Polar Orbiting Satellites). With a GPS embedded transmission they will know where you are within minutes and contact the local SAR service; however with no GPS data at this stage they will only know that a beacon has been activated ‘somewhere’. Your location without GPS will be determined by a polar orbiting satellite getting a Doppler fix on the beacon which on average takes about an hour.

Once the mission is underway you exact location will be found using DF equipment on 121.5. The GPS data transmitted is limited in two ways. Firstly only part of the coordinate is sent (short protocal) which still leaves a fairly large search area and secondly the GPS position is only updated every 20 minutes.

TT
Old 27 May 2007, 19:26   #12

Thank you TT for the info, it is very useful indeed.