Old 01 January 2007, 22:54   #1

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
EPIRB - Land Use

Happy New Year to all

Im thinking of buying a McMurdo Fast Find Plus PLB in the brochure http://www.mcmurdo.co.uk/doc/10-11.pdf it states these can be used for land use.

Anyone know if this is allowed in the uk?

I plan to use (or hopefully not to use, but carry with me) when Trail biking as well as on the water.

Jono
Old 02 January 2007, 20:40   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono Garton View Post
Happy New Year to all

Im thinking of buying a McMurdo Fast Find Plus PLB in the brochure http://www.mcmurdo.co.uk/doc/10-11.pdf it states these can be used for land use.

Anyone know if this is allowed in the uk?

I plan to use (or hopefully not to use, but carry with me) when Trail biking as well as on the water.

Jono
Jono - there is a thread on here not that long ago about this. The simple answer is NO they are not licensed for use on shore. Obviously in the event of an "accident" then you just happened to have it in your jacket and thought you would give it a try - the downside is that if the incident location is shown on land, and the rescue services aren't expecting legitamite calls from the shore their response may be somewhat diluted.
Old 03 January 2007, 09:14   #3

Town: Poole
Make: Aquaflyte
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc 90 2Str
Jono

See this thread for some additional comments, particularly Jon Brooks' comments about it possibly becoming more acceptable

Andrew
Old 05 January 2007, 13:36   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I wonder if there is any real need in Britain for an EPIRB on land - it could tie up resources that would be better used keeping an eye open for when they are REALLY needed.

If you are in the middle of the Sahara or the Taklamakan desert fair enough but I have yet to find anywhere in England/Wales that is that remote - parts of Scotland maybe.

I have done a lot of solo hillwalking/climbing etc and have never thought it was something I would need - a pocket pack of flares is usually sufficient.
Old 05 January 2007, 18:15   #5
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I wonder if there is any real need in Britain for an EPIRB on land
Quote:
parts of Scotland maybe.
I would say you answered your own question there - or is it a geography/politics lesson you need?

I don't know about rural wales or england, but mountain rescue teams, and helicopters up here spend a long time searching to try and locate people they know are overdue/missing. Many of those people are badly equipped/inexperienced and would never have had an EPIRB anyway - but there are incidents every year involving experienced people who might carry one. It would help them get found.

There are also people who get injured and who could summons help quicker. Realistically flares are only likely to get spotted if someone is looking for you or you are in a busy area. I suspect that if you set of a flare inland it is unlikely to generate a 999 call even if within sight of other people. You are an advocate of sat phones - and here they could be useful - esp as waterproofing is less of an issue.
Old 05 January 2007, 19:09   #6

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I would say you answered your own question there - or is it a geography/politics lesson you need?

I don't know about rural wales or england, but mountain rescue teams, and helicopters up here spend a long time searching to try and locate people they know are overdue/missing. Many of those people are badly equipped/inexperienced and would never have had an EPIRB anyway - but there are incidents every year involving experienced people who might carry one. It would help them get found.

There are also people who get injured and who could summons help quicker. Realistically flares are only likely to get spotted if someone is looking for you or you are in a busy area. I suspect that if you set of a flare inland it is unlikely to generate a 999 call even if within sight of other people. You are an advocate of sat phones - and here they could be useful - esp as waterproofing is less of an issue.

I DID answer my own question so why the dig? I was merely trying to point out that unless truly remote they are better off leaving the system free for users who REALLY need it - where do you draw the line? How long before every parent in this Nanny State of ours decides their kid needs one on their way to school or whilst walking the dog???
Old 06 January 2007, 11:36   #7
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I DID answer my own question so why the dig? I was merely trying to point out that unless truly remote they are better off leaving the system free for users who REALLY need it - where do you draw the line? How long before every parent in this Nanny State of ours decides their kid needs one on their way to school or whilst walking the dog???
Because its stupid to say its not needed, and then say - but actually it is! If it is needed somewhere in the UK then its silly to say that because most of the country doesn't need it we shouldn't permit them.

I am sure there are other remote areas where there is potential for them to save lives.

At current cost it is unlikely to be adopted by many (even those walking/climbing in remote areas). Increased demand - reduces cost which is good for everyone.

"Nanny State" is when the government intervene to protect the population (usually used in a derogatory sense to imply it is unnecessary) - so it has nothing to do with "parents deciding". Those parents already can track the locations of their children via their mobile phone to within a pretty small area - but few chose to, so I'm not convinced by your argument.
Old 06 January 2007, 18:49   #8

Town: Essex
Boat name: Cetacean Protector
Make: Plasteco Milano
Length: 5m +
Engine: 75hp
One of the benefits of EPIRBS is they do not need monitoring just in case they are used...i.e. not like Ch16 where a resource is tied up listening for an emergency that may never happen.

In any remote or even not so remote part of the UK, any serious injury can develop into a fatal situation - even areas the public think of as near cities, such as parts of the Brecons, have their fair share of fatalities.

If an EPIRB is used geniunely, then surley a broken leg on land is as serious as a broken leg at sea. The alert will still be picked up by MRCC Falmouth, the registry details checked, and appropriate resources sent to investigate. I would assume for a known land location, MRCC would pass coordination to the appropriate police area in conjunction with RCC Kinloss.

It is correct to say EPIRB use on land at present is not licensed - but then again, all radio licences are technically wiaved for "emergency" use - if you use an unlicensed marine VHF to report a genuine sinking, you will not be prosecuted for it.

Having said that, with the UKSAR committee having a heavy input from HMCG/MCA, I would anticipate licensed on land use under global agreements fairly soon.