Old 15 June 2006, 20:13   #1

Town: Belfast
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140 4/stroke
RIBase
Electric Cable

The only electrics i have on me rib are nav lights + chartplotter. The wires were a little untidy so i decided to tidy things up a bit. Went to local electric wholesalers where was told that ordinary 240v cable would suffice, so i used that to rewire + tidy things up. But now nothing works! Is it that the cable is too heavy? Ive checked battery + tried connecting to portable power but no luck. Anyone any advice?
Old 15 June 2006, 20:52   #2

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Parm I'm no expert but the bigger the wire the easy the current flows. So 240 V wire should work but its not the most appropriate.

Out of all my experiences with wiring the most common fault I have come across is usually a bad earth or a joint that has been compromised with moisture etc.

To go any further we need to know some details about your engine and maybe a circuit diagram.

If you can't get or don't want to buy marine cable try Halfords for some 5 amp cable for your lights. That should be plenty strong enough.

Keep us posted and we will try and help you.
Old 15 June 2006, 21:06   #3

RIBase
i will buy marine cable if i ned to its just that i was told the cable i got was suitable. As for the wireing its pretty basic, lights + wire direct from battery to fuse holder and then to lights and - wire direct from battery round each light and plotter much the same
Old 15 June 2006, 21:15   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
do you have a multimeter? Usually possible to spot electrical problems by either measuring voltage or resistance at various points around the circuit. You can get them pretty cheap - probably best not to go to that Electronics shop for it though - as advice was pretty crap.

General advice is to use marine grade tinned cable. BUT there are people (including one marine electronics dealer not far from me) who say just to use multistrand vehicle cable.
Old 15 June 2006, 22:34   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Your problem's not the type of cable - it'll be how it is all connected.

Regading Tinned cable - I have used it on my current boat but didn't bother on my previous one - most things still worked after 4 years.

Polwart. A well known electronics supplier near to me swears by tinned cable. "we've had hardly any problems now that we always use tinned"
Old 16 June 2006, 20:56   #6

RIBase
Problem solved

problem solved. Basically there must be a break in the cable somewere as power going in one end but none at other end. ohh + a blown fuse. Replaced cable + fuse + all is well. Great how a little thing can cause so much grief. Thanks for al your advice + info