Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 28 September 2014, 17:01   #1
Member
 
Crusher's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: Bubbas Bouy
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercruiser
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 626
RIBase
Echo sounder adhesive

Hi all,

My through hull echo sounder transducer has come loose/unattached. I lifted it up and it looks like it was stuck down with a clear silicone, or something similar.(it's been fixed fine for the 5 years I've owned it)
Googling tells me two part epoxy,

Any advice /or experience would be welcomed.
(Current location has always given a great reading so just looking to clean it up and reattach in the same place)

Many thanks


Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
__________________

__________________
Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2014, 17:07   #2
AJ.
RIBnet supporter
 
AJ.'s Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: Impulse
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,020
I used two part epoxy when mine came loose in the transom well, been fine the last couple of years.


Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
__________________
AJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2014, 17:31   #3
Member
 
Crusher's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: Bubbas Bouy
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercruiser
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 626
RIBase
Thanks AJ,
Just normal two part epoxy??


Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
__________________
Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2014, 17:35   #4
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
or Sika 291.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2014, 17:38   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,815
ours have been siliconed in the drain wells for years..never come loose, work fine and are generally ignored and taken for granted. I suppose removable should we wish to take 'em out.
__________________
Dave M
www.wavelengthtraining.co.uk
wavelength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2014, 17:43   #6
AJ.
RIBnet supporter
 
AJ.'s Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: Impulse
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
Thanks AJ,
Just normal two part epoxy??


Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net

Yep


Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
__________________
AJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2014, 06:26   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ. View Post
Yep


Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
I just used araldite quick setting and that worked fine, make a well from bluetack or similar then fill it with adhesive (try not to get airbubbles) then just push the sounder into the well and hold in place till it sets.

Alternatively use Sika works just as well and a lot less hassle.
__________________
---------------------------------------------------
Chris Stevens

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2014, 11:35   #8
Member
 
Johnscubanut's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Beds/South coast
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 115
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I just used araldite quick setting and that worked fine, make a well from bluetack or similar then fill it with adhesive (try not to get airbubbles) then just push the sounder into the well and hold in place till it sets.

Alternatively use Sika works just as well and a lot less hassle.
Same here, we used Araldite 2 part adhesive, works well!
__________________

__________________
Johnscubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.