Old 03 January 2010, 12:55   #1

Town: Fareham
Make: Avon Adventure
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 90
Eagle ultra nav 2

Hi, my new RIB came with an Eagle ultranav 2, the gps seems to work ok but the depth gauge is all over the place and not accurate, the temp gauge is all over the place and the MPH doesn't work, this is probbrally due to not being able to find a speed/temp sensor on my RIB, also the manual I have is only for the Ultra Nav 2, it says look in the transducer, speed/temp sensor and GPS manual for instructions on them and that is what i do not have, if anyone has had one of thease could you please let me know.

cheers martin
Old 03 January 2010, 13:34   #2

This is the position of my transducer, is this right or should it be flat?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tranducer.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	48459  
Old 03 January 2010, 14:29   #3

Town: Thornaby
Boat name: Storm
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 150
i'm sure the transducer should be flat and away from any water and air disturbance, if you know what i mean.

phil
Old 03 January 2010, 16:53   #4

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
http://www.eaglenav.com/en/Downloads/Manuals/

should have all the manuals you need. The transducer is most likely a Skimmer model (nothing really variable about them apart from temp sensor, as far as I know, so any of the manuals will do.)

jky
Old 03 January 2010, 17:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
http://www.eaglenav.com/en/Downloads/Manuals/

should have all the manuals you need. The transducer is most likely a Skimmer model (nothing really variable about them apart from temp sensor, as far as I know, so any of the manuals will do.)

jky
Thanks for that, I had a look and they show the tranducer being flat so mine is 90deg out at the moment, thats probrally why it wasn't working, do some transducers do the speed as well? I have found a seperate speed sensor listed for it though (link below), can't the unit use the GPS for the speed?

http://www.shopping.com/xPO-Lowrance...erature-Sensor
Old 05 January 2010, 19:36   #6

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Yes your sensor is pointing 90 degrees wrong. Long edge parallel with water. It's designed to kick up like that if you hit something or beach it.

Water speed sensor is indeed an option.

GPS will give you ground speed (not water speed) but most of the time it'll do nicely on a RIB.
Old 05 January 2010, 20:38   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
Yes your sensor is pointing 90 degrees wrong. Long edge parallel with water. It's designed to kick up like that if you hit something or beach it.

Water speed sensor is indeed an option.

GPS will give you ground speed (not water speed) but most of the time it'll do nicely on a RIB.
If I set the GPS ground speed to either knots or MPH wont that be more a more accurate reading of how fast the Rib is moving than using a speed sensor wheel in the water?
Old 05 January 2010, 21:40   #8

Depends on if you're trying to measure groundspeed (i.e. speed over the surface of the earth), or speed through water (which will be different from the former based on wind, current, etc.)

jky
Old 05 January 2010, 21:53   #9

Quote:
Depends on if you're trying to measure groundspeed (i.e. speed over the surface of the earth), or speed through water (which will be different from the former based on wind, current, etc.)

jky
I think I know what you mean but if the groundspeed on a Rib was say 30mph, would that be the same as say a sat nav saying 30mph in a car?
Old 06 January 2010, 16:51   #10

Exactly so; but typically, a road doesn't creep along in some random direction at a couple of knots.

But groundspeed is groundspeed. It is the speed you are traveling along the surface of the earth, relative to a fixed point on the surface. Doesn't matter if you're walking, driving a car, piloting a boat, or a plane.

In a boat (or in the air), you get other things that screw with measurements depending on what you are sampling: Currents. Water for a boat, air for a plane.

Picture this to get the difference:

A river moving at 3 knots. A run upstream such that groundspeed (i.e. GPS speed over ground) shows 30 knots will have the paddlewheel showing 33 knots (i.e Groundspeed plus the 3kt current.

Turning around and going downstream, again at 30kts on the GPS, and the paddlewheel will show 27 (SOG minus current.)

If you turn to face upstream and adjust power so that your groundspeed becomes zero (or, I suppose, simply anchor), your speed through the water will still read 3 knots.

jky
Old 06 January 2010, 17:41   #11

Quote:
Exactly so; but typically, a road doesn't creep along in some random direction at a couple of knots.

But groundspeed is groundspeed. It is the speed you are traveling along the surface of the earth, relative to a fixed point on the surface. Doesn't matter if you're walking, driving a car, piloting a boat, or a plane.

In a boat (or in the air), you get other things that screw with measurements depending on what you are sampling: Currents. Water for a boat, air for a plane.

Picture this to get the difference:

A river moving at 3 knots. A run upstream such that groundspeed (i.e. GPS speed over ground) shows 30 knots will have the paddlewheel showing 33 knots (i.e Groundspeed plus the 3kt current.

Turning around and going downstream, again at 30kts on the GPS, and the paddlewheel will show 27 (SOG minus current.)

If you turn to face upstream and adjust power so that your groundspeed becomes zero (or, I suppose, simply anchor), your speed through the water will still read 3 knots.

jky
Thanks for that, I understand what you mean now, I think for what I am going to be doing I will just set up the Ulra Nav to use GPS for ground speed and not bother with fitting a paddlewheel, thanks again for the replys.