Old 14 June 2011, 19:46   #1

Town: England
Boat name: n/a
Make: n/a
Length: no boat
Engine: n/a
DSC radio but no GPS unit (as yet)

I have a DSC VHF radio but it is not connected to a GPS unit for position information.

The coordinates on the radio show at 99"99.999 for both lat and long because I have no GPS connection.

Is there still an advantage to having a DSC radio without having the position correct. If I hit the distress button, would it still alert nearby boats and the CG of my situation? Obviously, i'd have to to follow up with a real position by voice.

Thanks
Old 14 June 2011, 19:55   #2

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Useless unless it sends the data, you may just as well have a non DSC set. Because all it will send is a DSC Distress alert, the Nature (if you have selected one) and your MMSI.
Old 14 June 2011, 20:06   #3

Ok, there's no advantage in a distress situation but i'll still be able to call other boats by MMSI number.
Old 14 June 2011, 20:50   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhar View Post
Ok, there's no advantage in a distress situation but i'll still be able to call other boats by MMSI number.
some sets allow you to enter your position manually if you don't have a GPS connected.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2011, 08:48   #5

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
By the time you've done that...... Also if you know your position in DD.MM.SS to type it in, you must presumbaly have something to tell you what your position is!

For what it's worth you don't need an expensive plotter to feed the Lat / long into the radio- somethig like a Garmin Etrex or a GPS12 will do the job. (Just make sure if you are buying an Etrex from your favourite auction site that it's not one of the "1st gen" ones which don't have an interface - the newer ones have a data connection). GPS 12s, although a bit "brick-esque" seem to be going for about £40 and will run for nearly 24 hrs even with the data out switched on.
Old 15 June 2011, 09:07   #6

Do they have a NMEA interface?

Could you link to one please.

Thanks.
Old 24 June 2011, 11:17   #7

Yes, they both do (as I think all Garmins with a data connection do) but you'll need to go into the setup menu to turn it on.

IF you type "Garmin GPS12" or Etrex" into Ebay you'll find them The 12 had a few variants like the XL (external antenna) CX (Colour screen) & MAP (no prizes for guessing that one!) but they are allusually more expensive. If you replace the 12 with 72 or 76 you will see the current versions of it, with suitably increaced prices!

Type that lot into Google and the top hit from Garmin is the page with all the datasheets, manuals etc.

For what it's worth if you get one without a data cable, the 12 has almost the same connector as the 72/76, so if your ebay purchase is without lead and youfind yourself where I did 3 years ago (no way to connect the GPS & VHF) you can use a 72/76 lead with a minor modification to the plug.
Old 24 June 2011, 11:46   #8

Town: Rosas
Boat name: Conqueror
Make: Valiant
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard 150hp Merc
Send a message via Skype™ to Courageous
YBW forums have discussed this issue and someone was advocating using a gps mouse for this? I haven't followed this up (even though I was looking for a gps feed for my beneteau as I wasn't keen to use my removable plotter). I would have thought that anything USB would need a 5v feed and wasn't sure that this setup would be viable. Anyone used that method here at all?

In the end I succumbed to linking it through to my Garmin plotter and will just have to let that go with the boat as and when I choose to sell........
Old 24 June 2011, 14:04   #9

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Don't forget you can buy a standalone GPS antenna, e.g. a Garmin GPS17 HVS which will connect to 12v and give out NMEA 0183 which you could connect direct to your DSC radio.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2011, 22:29   #10
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbypower View Post
Useless unless it sends the data, you may just as well have a non DSC set. Because all it will send is a DSC Distress alert, the Nature (if you have selected one) and your MMSI.
Not withstanding the comments of the others about a Garmin 12 (or similar - last time I looked there were Serial/RS232 GPS "Mice" available for about £20+postage) - I would suggest that DSC Distress via the red button still has some value even without the position information.

(1) It will wake up any vessel within radio range by triggering the alarm.
(2) The DSC message is very simple for anyone to send in a panic situation - lift flap hold down button for 5 seconds. A voice call from a panicked wife might not get even the basic info this will have across - and your "crew" may not be in a position to give a good location immediately anyway.
(3) The distress alert keeps repeating until acknowledged allowing you to tend to casualties, bail, pee on your burning outboard etc.

Some people have suggested a DSC message may be more likely to get through over long distance too (although I know Codprawn always argued analogue was more likely with a weak signal).
Old 25 June 2011, 14:10   #11
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Not withstanding the comments of the others ... Codprawn always argued.
You're right. I thought he was very brave...
Old 27 June 2011, 09:48   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Don't forget you can buy a standalone GPS antenna, e.g. a Garmin GPS17 HVS which will connect to 12v and give out NMEA 0183 which you could connect direct to your DSC radio.
Last time I checked a price for one of them gaffer taping a new GPS72 to your A-frame would have been a cheaper option!

Other thing to check with a USB GPS dongle is that although a voltage regulator from your favourite electronics store would feed it a nice regulated 5V, I've seen a few that require software on the PC to run, so be careful and check it does actually throw NMEA out of the stick and not need the software that won't be on your radio to translate.....
Old 27 June 2011, 09:59   #13

Town: Alderney
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
a voltage regulator from your favourite electronics store would feed it a nice regulated 5V
Bear in mind the OP needed some detailed help in wiring the radio up to the 12v supply.
Old 27 June 2011, 11:29   #14

I'm not stupid.
Old 27 June 2011, 11:44   #15

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
dsc does have a significant advantage here (and elsewhere in the UK) even without a gps position, in that our local angling boats all sit permanently on ch8 and never listen to ch16. The local inshore fishermen have all but been wiped out by the common fisheries policy but they always listened on ch6 and again never went to ch16. DSC has the advantage that no matter what channel they may be parked up on it will grab their dsc radio and switch it to 16 whilst sounding an alarm to wake them up. A voice mayday will then be heard unlike if you went straight to voice without pressing the button. Sending a lat and long digitally is nice, esp for the CG and bigger boats, but a voice description of so many miles south of wherever means a lot more in a crisis situation to a prospective rescuer in a sportsboat.
Old 27 June 2011, 12:29   #16

Town: Alderney
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhar View Post
I'm not stupid.
I apologise if you got the feeling I was saying you were. I simply thought it would help your cause to remind posters in this thread that buying a voltage regulator and adapting a non marine GPS device to suit a boat may not be your first option.
Old 27 June 2011, 12:32   #17

Ah fair enough
Old 27 June 2011, 14:32   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel Ribs View Post
I simply thought it would help your cause to remind posters in this thread that buying a voltage regulator and adapting a non marine GPS device to suit a boat may not be your first option.

Which brings us back to a Garmin off ebay!

It wouldn't be my first option either, but as Pol had suggested it might be feasible and having come to the "garmin handheld" conclusion 3 years ago, I thought I would throw my findings into the pot. There was a USB dongle that talked NMEA, but like the NMEA antennae, Maxhar would likely be as cheap buying a handheld which would then give extra functionality and could be used for hiking / biking as well.