Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Do I need a chart plotter

I have been thinking about this so I decided I would do a test using Google earth. It took me about an hour to produce the following charts. Now I have done it once I think I could chart a simalar trip in about 20 mins . and print out the "mini charts". Yes, I would have to drop a protractor on the plot line to get the course and correct for inclination/deviation. and use a handhelp GPS to make a few checks.
Pic. one is the course
Pic. two is the approach to Alderny
Pic. three is the approach to the Solent on the return trip
I used Google Earth placement pins as waypoints.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	google demo 1.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	30666   Click image for larger version

Name:	google test 2.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	30667   Click image for larger version

Name:	google test 3.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	30668  
Old 14 October 2007, 08:09   #2

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
Some chartplotters do incorporate Google Earth images.

The boon with chartplotters is (risk here of stating the bleeding obvious!) they update your position over the chart *very quickly*.

They really are the way to go.
Old 14 October 2007, 18:10   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Moore View Post
Some chartplotters do incorporate Google Earth images.

The boon with chartplotters is (risk here of stating the bleeding obvious!) they update your position over the chart *very quickly*.

They really are the way to go.
Hi Andy
Do you know which chart plotters support Google earth? I have not seen any but there is some indication that Garmin will in the future.
Thanks
Old 14 October 2007, 18:22   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda View Post
Hi Andy
Do you know which chart plotters support Google earth? I have not seen any but there is some indication that Garmin will in the future.
Thanks
Navionics Platinum chart cartridges incorporate satellite images, photographs etc:

http://www.navionics.com/PlatinumCharts.asp#

It appears they work with Raymarine, Northstar, Geonav & Hummingbird.

Here is an image of a Raymarine plotter running what looks like a Navionics Platinum cartridge:

http://www.panbo.com/archives/2007/0...ies_hints.html
Old 14 October 2007, 18:33   #5

Thanks Andy
Wow , have you looked at the cost? Also, they use a hard drive which is no good on a RIB. Sorry, still cannot justify a chartplotter. yes, nice to have, but change it every few years I think I will use free google charts and a hand held GPS
Old 14 October 2007, 18:49   #6

Quote:
Thanks Andy
Wow , have you looked at the cost? Also, they use a hard drive which is no good on a RIB. Sorry, still cannot justify a chartplotter. yes, nice to have, but change it every few years I think I will use free google charts and a hand held GPS
No, they won't need a hard drive; just a plotter with a built in card reader. We have a Lowrance LMS-332c on our RIB and like it, although we did have teething problems with the unit at first:

http://www.panbo.com/archives/2006/0..._lowrance.html

The LMS-332c can't use the funky Platinum charts; it uses the next-best from Navionics, the Gold series. The Platinum charts retail for around $300 I think.

The plotters are waterproof and, while you can easily live without one, they are genuinely useful. They often have a sonar built in to: the LMS-332c does.
Old 15 October 2007, 08:00   #7

Town: Melbourne
Make: Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
LL, not sure what this approach adds to using a chart, except an image of the land masses.

You still need a chart for the deviations, navigation marks and stuff under the water, and it would be heaps easier to plot progress directly on the chart - even on a fast RIB.

I've recently played with a program called memory-map that you can use as a chart plotter by plugging in a handleld GPS (not so great on a RIB), or use to plan trips.

It's got a great feature where you can plan a route on the chart, and have a route map and staged directions printed out, and upload the route and waypoint onto the handheld. Not outrageously expensive, and might offer an inbetween solution. Uses raster images of charts - USA ones are available, although I couldn't get the map links to work.

Other alternative is getting a cheap 5" plotter (ie Navman 5430) that works OK if you input the routes before you leave and use the highway feature while underway.

http://www.memory-map.com/
Old 15 October 2007, 22:56   #8

Town: Fleet
Boat name: Hudson
Make: Ribeye Sport
Engine: Yamaha 150
Quote:
Thanks Andy
Have you thought about moving to a handheld with charts? I've recently been using a Garmin GPS60CSX (CX is a little cheaper but CSX also has a compass and barometer). I was skeptical before I tried it because the screen looked so small but its proved very usable. Software comes with the charts that allows you also to view and plan on a pc and download routes and upload and print tracks. Very useful and at a reasonable price point.
Old 17 October 2007, 08:48   #9

Navionics Platinum Plus

Linda,

Might be of further interest to you:

"Navionics just announced its new Platinum+ chart cards, which I got a peek at along the coast of Cape Cod last month. As the name implies Plus, or “+”, takes Platinum’s numerous features up a notch, or two. The top down photo maps and panoramic port photos are higher res, the bathy data underlying the 3D screens is more detailed, and the coastal pilots are more tightly integrated."

http://www.panbo.com/archives/2007/1...ds_8_gigs.html
Old 17 October 2007, 14:38   #10

Thanks Andy
I have looked in Navionics and have sent them an E mail. The root cause of my problem is that I do some of my boating on the Sea of Cortez. The only available electronic charts are derived from a survey done by the US Navy in 1870. There are no others available. Reports from friends who have chart plotters say that sometimes your position is shown 2 miles inland They are not generally very accurate. Hence my interest in using Google Earth.
However there are a serious of small paper charts published by a guy who has been sailing the SOC for 3 years and they include positions of most the hazards.
Cheers
Old 17 October 2007, 16:31   #11

Quote:
Thanks Andy. The only available electronic charts are derived from a survey done by the US Navy in 1870. There are no others available. Reports from friends who have chart plotters say that sometimes your position is shown 2 miles inland
Understood. Good luck with it.
Old 17 October 2007, 17:18   #12

Update: just found out that if you purchase Google Earth Plus for $20.00 per year you can use the GPS feature which allows you to upload waypoints etc. into your custom chart ( currently only Garmin and Eagle supported but more on the way) Compared with spending $1000 on a chartplotter/chart combo that is not accurate; this is going to be the way to go for me. If my handheld GPS fails then I still have a chart to use for dead reckoning navigation.
Cheers
Old 13 August 2008, 00:42   #13

Town: Vancouver / Redruth
Boat name: Bumpy
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: 6hp 4s mercury
Quote:
Update: just found out that if you purchase Google Earth Plus for $20.00 per year you can use the GPS feature which allows you to upload waypoints etc. into your custom chart ( currently only Garmin and Eagle supported but more on the way) Compared with spending $1000 on a chartplotter/chart combo that is not accurate; this is going to be the way to go for me. If my handheld GPS fails then I still have a chart to use for dead reckoning navigation.
Cheers
i use google earth for 4X4 off roading - laptop gps system, and all i can say is that google earth is VERY accurate.

however

sonar/chart plotters give the under water data that you can't get from g-earth, depth of water knowledge etc...

edit, there is one major disadvantage with g-earth, which is you can't up load from it, the g-earth system is only a download one way
Old 13 August 2008, 02:09   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr curious View Post
i use google earth for 4X4 off roading - laptop gps system, and all i can say is that google earth is VERY accurate.

however

sonar/chart plotters give the under water data that you can't get from g-earth, depth of water knowledge etc...

edit, there is one major disadvantage with g-earth, which is you can't up load from it, the g-earth system is only a download one way
Not correct, I am afraid. Go to EarthNC who are afiliated with G. Earth. EarthNC stands for Earth Nautical charts. You can create your own, it has all the tools. Their latest offering is the ability to create your own and upload to your GPS.
Cheers
Old 13 August 2008, 02:16   #15

Town: Vancouver / Redruth
Boat name: Bumpy
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: 6hp 4s mercury
Quote:
Not correct, I am afraid. Go to EarthNC who are afiliated with G. Earth. EarthNC stands for Earth Nautical charts. You can create your own, it has all the tools. Their latest offering is the ability to create your own and upload to your GPS.
Cheers
ummmm interesting was not aware of Google Earth Marine Maps.

cheers + thanks for the update

edit, sounds encouraging because g-earth is second to none inaccuracy in there land technology