Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 09 May 2014, 15:41   #1
Member
 
Country: Greece
Boat name: Chrysanthos
Make: Scanner
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu M140A2
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 43
DIY Bluetooth Fuel Manager

Hello,

I have recently started a project of a DIY Flowscan that uses Bluetooth technology and an Android phone, you guys might be interested in.

Everything started when I was looking to buy one, but was put off when I saw the price tag.

This is my first post on this forum, so I hope I can start contributing to the community.

I have all the Info on my blog so that you can follow the project (which is neer the end) or start making your own.

I am of course open for suggestions!
__________________

__________________
MaleBuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2014, 03:13   #2
RIBnet supporter
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Isle of Man
Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,277
RIBase
Good luck with your project MaleBuffy.
I think you could be on a winner!
__________________
Brian

"Ribbing-the most expensive way of travelling third class"
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2014, 04:34   #3
Member
 
HughN's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Littlehampton, W Sx
Length: no boat
MMSI: 235101591
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 732
Cool.

I used that very same sensor for my non-bluetooth / app version (here)

It works really well (the sensor, that is!).

Hugh
__________________
"Can ye model it? For if ye can, ye understand it, and if ye canna, ye dinna!" - Lord kelvin
HughN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2014, 04:35   #4
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,596
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaleBuffy View Post
Hello,

I have recently started a project of a DIY Flowscan that uses Bluetooth technology and an Android phone, you guys might be interested in.

Everything started when I was looking to buy one, but was put off when I saw the price tag.

This is my first post on this forum, so I hope I can start contributing to the community.

I have all the Info on my blog so that you can follow the project (which is neer the end) or start making your own.

I am of course open for suggestions!
Hello & welcome to Ribnet.
Interesting project. I've just had a quick read of your blog & one thing that springs to mind is; be careful of introducing anything that can restrict the fuel flow to the engine. If you starve the engine, you can get overheat problems & powerhead damage, especially on 2 strokes.
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2014, 08:58   #5
Member
 
Country: Greece
Boat name: Chrysanthos
Make: Scanner
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu M140A2
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 43
Nice to hear that the sensor works well.
__________________
MaleBuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2014, 09:03   #6
Member
 
Country: Greece
Boat name: Chrysanthos
Make: Scanner
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu M140A2
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Hello & welcome to Ribnet.
Interesting project. I've just had a quick read of your blog & one thing that springs to mind is; be careful of introducing anything that can restrict the fuel flow to the engine. If you starve the engine, you can get overheat problems & powerhead damage, especially on 2 strokes.
Hi thanks for the tip. This is the reason I bought 3 different sensors.

The first was to small 3mm nozzle. The last one (fs-3400ah) is 6mm which is enough.
__________________
MaleBuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2014, 20:12   #7
Member
 
Simon666's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Burwash, East Sussex
Make: BWM Deepsea 21
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 225
Thanks for taking the time to post this. Very interesting reading.
I might give it a try but have never played with a arduino before so it will be a big hurdle for me.
So which flowmeter did you end up using on your Tohatsu 140? I have a Suzuki 140 4 stroke.
Do the flow meters come pre calibrated?
__________________
Simon666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2014, 00:04   #8
Member
 
Country: Greece
Boat name: Chrysanthos
Make: Scanner
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu M140A2
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon666 View Post
Thanks for taking the time to post this. Very interesting reading.
I might give it a try but have never played with a arduino before so it will be a big hurdle for me.
So which flowmeter did you end up using on your Tohatsu 140? I have a Suzuki 140 4 stroke.
Do the flow meters come pre calibrated?
Hi, I used the Sensor from Futurlec. Its the cheapest and does the job.
They are pre calibrated, the Arduino does the job of calculating flow.

Dont worry about the Arduino. Its very easy to use and due to its popularity, there is tons of info on the net.

My design is also a "no solder", which makes it very easy to build.

If you eventually try it and need help, just message me.
__________________
MaleBuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2014, 02:25   #9
Member
 
HughN's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Littlehampton, W Sx
Length: no boat
MMSI: 235101591
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 732
By the way, the threaded connections on the second Flo-tech sensor have parallel threads rather than tapered threads. An O-ring or lots of PTFE (to make an artifical taper) is required to get a good seal. The other issue is the threads undoing as the fuel hose moves!
__________________
"Can ye model it? For if ye can, ye understand it, and if ye canna, ye dinna!" - Lord kelvin
HughN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2014, 02:49   #10
Member
 
Country: Greece
Boat name: Chrysanthos
Make: Scanner
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu M140A2
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughN View Post
By the way, the threaded connections on the second Flo-tech sensor have parallel threads rather than tapered threads. An O-ring or lots of PTFE (to make an artifical taper) is required to get a good seal. The other issue is the threads undoing as the fuel hose moves!
With the the FS-3400AH, since a horizontal mount of the sensor is a requirement (-+30 degrees),you cannot tolerate fuel hose movement.

You must somehow keep the hose stable.

Of course, one cannot expect to just connect the hose to the sensor without securing it in some way.
__________________

__________________
MaleBuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.