Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Distance between electronics

Hi All,

Some advice needed.

Am going down to fit my new electronics package tomorrow, VHF, Chartplotter and fuel flow meter. Fishfinder might follow later.

Problem is the spacing.
Manuals say the GPSunit has to be 0.1m from the compass
VHF has to be 0.5m from compass, 0.33m from GPS
The GPS receiver (also planned to go on console as I have no A-frame yet) has to be 1.3m from GPS display
GPS receiver has to be 3m from a radio transmitter antenna (which means it can't go on an a-frame with the VHF antenna???)

It's a Navman plotter and vhf.

How on earth do I manage to fit that lot in.

The biggest issue will be the GPS receiver not being within 1.3m of the GPS unit. Is this really necessary, given that the model in question can also come with a built in antenna?

Thanks for any advice.

Neil
Old 25 May 2007, 22:14   #2

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Neil,

I see the figures and they are probably stated for a reason but you've seen my console and its jam packed full of electronics. I have no problems with things interfering with each other.
The radio doesn't interfere with the compass, even when its transmitting. And its still accurate.
As you realise you can't do much on a RIB console with regards spacing. And I should imagine most people on here are in the same situation.
Possibly in most cases its just the manufacturers trying to protect themselves.

Thats just my real world experiences for what its worth.

If your worried why not wire up all your bits and pieces prior to drilling holes at the approxiamate distance they are going to be from each other and see what happens.

Nick R.
Old 25 May 2007, 22:23   #3

Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post

If your worried why not wire up all your bits and pieces prior to drilling holes at the approxiamate distance they are going to be from each other and see what happens.

Nick R.
Hi Nick,

I know the realities on a RIB, and think it should not really be an issue, but was wondering what the words from the wise on here would be.

Wiring it all up before drilling is a good idea though, did not think of that one yet, thanks.

Glad to hear Zersorer went well this week!

Neil
Old 25 May 2007, 22:57   #4

Any other words of wisdom before I try it and decide it'll be fine so drill?

Last thing I want is loads of holes in console only to find it will be a problem!
Old 26 May 2007, 04:18   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Harvey View Post
Any other words of wisdom before I try it and decide it'll be fine so drill?

Last thing I want is loads of holes in console only to find it will be a problem!
Get a cardboard box/sheet of ply and lay it all out on there and test it if you're worried

James
Old 26 May 2007, 08:06   #6

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
For my pennies worth, I would look at your console and decide on where the equipment is going first. I my experience Console design and personal preferance will decide where the GPS, fishfinder, VHF and Compass will go. Fit all the kit that you can't do without and has to be there, ie, GPS, Fishfinder and VHF. You have the GPS receiver and Compass left. Well I shouldn't think the receiver is much of a problem, I have seen several boats with them mounted in the console and might well do this on my next RIB. That leaves the compass. These are fairly flexible with regards mounting and I guess you could just move the thing about to the best position. However if there is too much interfearance then you could either buy a Hand bearing compass or a fluxgate compass.

Hope that helps a little.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2007, 17:59   #7

Neil,

Don't forget to post some piccies of the outcome !
Old 26 May 2007, 20:53   #8

Well, just got back and they are now in, with the VHFflush mounted and the chartplotter bracket mounted. That way I can swivel it as required instead of it being fixed in place, and remove it to deter theft. If the VHF gets nicked, it's annoying at £180, but the chartplotter would be even worse at £500+!

Will post a pic tomorrow when I have the camera to hand.

The only problem is connecting the gps to the vhf. Did not work, and instructions not clear, so a call to the guy at Plastimo (hope he's still there) will be required in the week. Got the number from one of your posts a couple of years ago Nick, so that should do the trick with luck!
Old 26 May 2007, 21:38   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Harvey View Post
The only problem is connecting the gps to the vhf. Did not work, and instructions not clear, so a call to the guy at Plastimo (hope he's still there) will be required in the week. Got the number from one of your posts a couple of years ago Nick, so that should do the trick with luck!
If that guy is still there, I think his name was Paul, he was one of the most helpful guys I have ever spoke to with regards anything. If anyone can sort it he can.

I don't think there are many wires to connect. A double negative which was confusing and the colours which are totally different between manufacturers.

Also you will need to identify the Protocols both pieces of equipment work on.

Best of luck.

I know you commute a lot and can only speak during working hours when you aren't near your boat so why not take a couple of pics of the VHF and GPS wiring looms to jog your recognition when your talking about them. In my case it was easy for me as the guy was patient enough to talk to me on the phone whilst working on the boat whilst I worked out what needed to be done.

Just trying to help.

Nick.
Old 26 May 2007, 21:44   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post

I know you commute a lot and can only speak during working hours when you aren't near your boat so why not take a couple of pics of the VHF and GPS wiring looms to jog your recognition when your talking about them. In my case it was easy for me as the guy was patient enough to talk to me on the phone whilst working on the boat whilst I worked out what needed to be done.

Just trying to help.

Nick.
Another great idea, if only I'd thought of that when I was down ther.
It should only be 2 sets of wires to connect, and since they are both Navman, they should be able to help easily enough. I think that they have the wrong key in the manuals.

I'm not back next weekend, so will call them week after, and try to sort it weekend after next before the Isle of Wight fest Saturday evening.

At least now I have a working fixed GPS and VHF! Getting there.
Old 26 May 2007, 22:02   #11

Found this on the Navman website, so maybe the colours in manuals are wrong!

· Connecting VHF 7100, 7200 to a GPS

NMEA OUTPUT + from third party instrument, connect to yellow wire (NMEA IN) on NAVMAN VHF7100/7200
NMEA Output – from third party instrument, connect to Green (NMEA -) on Navman VHF7100/7200

Will still give them a call tho I reckon, saves wasting time, as it should be easy enough!
Old 27 May 2007, 06:22   #12

Town: Towcester
Boat name: TBA
Make: Delta
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 175
It may be a set up problem

Hi Neil

I ran Navman for some 2 years, now sold and obviously the manuals went at the same time, so I cant quote word for word.

I recall from new - or when you do a 'factory reset' it disables the position output for the DSC VHF. So this may be worth checking before you change any wiring already made.

I had power feed problems (at one point) where I had to do a factory reset every time I repowered it up, so I went through the set-up quite frequently.
The radio GPS would show position and the radio would say 'no position'.

It is detailed in the manual - I believe when you get to the correct menu it also asks an 'autopilot' enable question either above or below.

Good luck getting it going.
If you are interested I have a full home PC planning kit for C-map
see http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19374

Thanks Paul
Old 27 May 2007, 17:59   #13
nik

Town: east cowes
Make: academic
Length: no boat
Engine: fresh air
MMSI: N/A
I seem to have a problem with my magnetic compass, last time I checked it, it was out by 45 degrees. I have not had a chance to check it properly, I assume it is all the ironwork around it. But, there is no other place to mount it.