Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksribster View Post
Just a quick update. Had the boat out in the Solent on Sunday, and it works! Got speed all the time, and depth most if the time. So I now know I had the boat up to 40 knots before I lost my nerve. The scary bit that caused me to back off the throttle was the expression on my wife's face lol. Can't wait for a flat water day to go flat out :-)

Thanks again for the tips.
I don't want to pi55 on your parade, but I would take any paddle wheel speed reading with a large pinch of salt. Do you have GPS or can you borrow a handheld from somewhere?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2012, 05:50   #12

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Bubbas Bouy
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercruiser
RIBase
Just a bit of further experience.... I found the one I had (on my previous boat) worked far more reliably and accurately when it was fixed to the near level section on the transom. In your pictures immediately bellow the drain trunk, not sure if you have room or cable enough to reach, but IMO worth looking to see if you can move it.......

Old 11 September 2012, 18:07   #13

Town: Thame
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Suzuki 140
I do not have a GPS on the boat, but I do have the very wonderful Navionics app on my iPhone that gives speed, as well as the chart plotter. Only problem - left the phone in the car on Sunday :-( Of course you need to allow for the tide with GPS. I come from rag-and-stick boats where the tide makes a big difference.

If I find a big difference between the GPS and paddle wheel speeds I may try moving the sensors to by the strake as you suggest.

So if paddle wheels are not accurate, what technology is, aside from GPS?
Old 12 September 2012, 00:19   #14
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Of course you need to allow for the tide with GPS. I come from rag-and-stick boats where the tide makes a big difference. ?
the paddle wheel will be giving you speed through water, not speed over ground (SOG), so it's actually the other way around. With the paddle wheel, you need to allow for tide, not the GPS which gives very accurate SOG (generally)

Quote:
So if paddle wheels are not accurate, what technology is, aside from GPS ?
Can't think of anything else as accurate or affordable as GPS TBH. GPS is incredible value for money when you sit down & think about it.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2012, 01:42   #15

Town: surrey
Length: 7m +
once you get the raymarine working properly (and it sounds like you have) the manual takes you through a procedure to calibrate it to make it more accurate. Involves speed runs over a known distance etc. Whether you want to be bothered with this feature i'm not sure, it might not be available on your model but generally it is. What model is the transducer connected to? (At best the speed on it is a guide, mine's about 2.5/3 mph out at 30, i found the engine speed readout is very similar to the gps sog on mine and tend to use that)
Old 12 September 2012, 18:49   #16

Town: Thame
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Suzuki 140
It's an ST40, and I think there is something in the manual about calibration. I'm not too bothered about a few percent difference, but it is nice to know...

By the way, you asked if I launched from Saxon on Saturday - not me. I went from Camber dock on Sunday. Too many of us Avon owners around I guess ;-)