Old 14 January 2014, 11:13   #1

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175
Damp plotter

I have a Garmin GPSmap 198c which came with the boat when i got it. I know it's elderly but it's sufficient for our needs and seems to give a reasonably accurate position. The problem is it doesn't seem to be as waterproof as it used to be. It almost always has some condensation on the inside of the screen.

When I first got the boat in Nov 2012 the buttons wouldn't respond. I took it off the boat (it's sikaflexed into the console so this is no easy task) and took it home. I opend it up, took it apart and left it out to dry off. Sure enough this sorted it and it worked fine all through the summer albeit with a little condensation inside the screen which would eventually burn off if the weather was good. Now, after a 3 months or so under a tarp it's stopped working again so it's probably time to take it off and dry it out again. My question is: does anyone have any tips for making it more waterproof (vaseline or similar between the rubber keypad insert and the casing?)

Also does anyone have a cover for this or a similar unit laying around? The old one blew out of the boat in Sept and I need to find an alternative before we tow in April.
Old 14 January 2014, 15:09   #2

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
before waterproofing it again, stick it in a bag of rice for a couple of days, best way to dry it out. I've saved a few devices from a dunking with this method. Ive no more ideas on resealing than you've mentioned though.
Old 14 January 2014, 17:58   #3

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
I'd bring it inside and dry it out near a house heater vent for a week+. Then store inside when not in use, particularly in winter. I suspect its not really getting liquid moisture inside, it has been under a tarp after all. Its damp air which the leads to the condensation when the screen gets colder than the insides.
Old 19 January 2014, 23:37   #4

OK so I found out how moisture was getting into the plotter: glue/sealant which secures the outer screen into the casing had failed round the bottom edge. I've taken out and cleaned up the surface, can anyone suggest a good glue/ sealant to stick it in again with. I guess sikaflex would do it but I'd need to be able to apply a very fine bead of it.
Old 20 January 2014, 05:03   #5

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamchowder View Post
OK so I found out how moisture was getting into the plotter: glue/sealant which secures the outer screen into the casing had failed round the bottom edge. I've taken out and cleaned up the surface, can anyone suggest a good glue/ sealant to stick it in again with. I guess sikaflex would do it but I'd need to be able to apply a very fine bead of it.
I would go for a good quality marine silicone, apply a fine bead n let it go off a bit to make a gasket then refix outer screen to casing
Old 20 January 2014, 12:25   #6

Yeah, its the fine bead thats the tricky bit.
Old 21 January 2014, 14:29   #7

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamchowder View Post
I have a Garmin GPSmap 198c which came with the boat when i got it. I know it's elderly but it's sufficient for our needs and seems to give a reasonably accurate position. The problem is it doesn't seem to be as waterproof as it used to be. It almost always has some condensation on the inside of the screen.

When I first got the boat in Nov 2012 the buttons wouldn't respond. I took it off the boat (it's sikaflexed into the console so this is no easy task) and took it home. I opend it up, took it apart and left it out to dry off. Sure enough this sorted it and it worked fine all through the summer albeit with a little condensation inside the screen which would eventually burn off if the weather was good. Now, after a 3 months or so under a tarp it's stopped working again so it's probably time to take it off and dry it out again. My question is: does anyone have any tips for making it more waterproof (vaseline or similar between the rubber keypad insert and the casing?)

Also does anyone have a cover for this or a similar unit laying around? The old one blew out of the boat in Sept and I need to find an alternative before we tow in April.
Hi
I thought I had one somewhere and now found it. I am not sure if it fits the 198c but think so.
Yours if you still want it. I work in Normanton or can post iot if you pm me your address. It measures 155 wide x 150 deep with the extension on the bottom for the mapping card.
Jeff
Old 21 January 2014, 14:54   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Hi
I thought I had one somewhere and now found it. I am not sure if it fits the 198c but think so.
Yours if you still want it. I work in Normanton or can post iot if you pm me your address. It measures 155 wide x 150 deep with the extension on the bottom for the mapping card.
Jeff
Awesome! PM on its way.