Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 22 June 2007, 17:36   #31
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,622
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah G View Post
Nothing wrong with bias!

I like the CP300. Is there much difference between the CP180 and the CP180i. I'm not sure if our boat has an external antenna already (or whether that is for the radio) - if not would it make sense going for an internal arial?
JW

Was not suggesting Sarah got shot of the GP30.

Sarah

CP-180 and CP-180i are the same.
The "i" denotes built in antenna, ideal for bracket mounting on a consol.
If your going to flush mount then you need the CP-180 with an external antenna.
The CP-300 come in both versions also

GPS antenna will look a bit like a mushroom, VHF antenna is stick or twig like.
Hence the old CB types used to call them twigs!
Am taking my anorak off now
__________________

__________________
Jon Brooks VSMM. Marine Mammal Medic, PBI, SRC Assessor,PWC Instructor.
www.horizonseasafaris.co.uk
Jon Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2007, 17:39   #32
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,622
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
Jon - I can't find the max speed reading on our GPS - we have the CP181i?
Max speed you have done? or you want to display speed?
__________________

__________________
Jon Brooks VSMM. Marine Mammal Medic, PBI, SRC Assessor,PWC Instructor.
www.horizonseasafaris.co.uk
Jon Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2007, 05:29   #33
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Nr Tring
Boat name: Braveheart
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: Tohatsu 140
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Brooks View Post
JW

Was not suggesting Sarah got shot of the GP30.

Sarah

CP-180 and CP-180i are the same.
The "i" denotes built in antenna, ideal for bracket mounting on a consol.
If your going to flush mount then you need the CP-180 with an external antenna.
The CP-300 come in both versions also

GPS antenna will look a bit like a mushroom, VHF antenna is stick or twig like.
Hence the old CB types used to call them twigs!
Am taking my anorak off now
Thanks for this. I'll have a look on Monday when we get the boat (hopefully).
__________________
Build a system that even a fool can use, and only a fool will want to use it.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Sarah G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2007, 06:50   #34
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Nr Tring
Boat name: Braveheart
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: Tohatsu 140
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 305
OK - I have a mushroom and a stick - how is that for technical speak. I think first things first - I need a depth sounder/fishfinder.

I think that we will go with the 160c Garmin. I know that the recommendation was with the 140 but Pat (the other half) reckons that colour is clearer than black and white.

Need to get the compass - Plastimo 90.
__________________
Build a system that even a fool can use, and only a fool will want to use it.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Sarah G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2007, 07:24   #35
RIBnet supporter
 
bedajim's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cambs/Northants
Length: no boat
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah G View Post
OK - I have a mushroom and a stick - how is that for technical speak. I think first things first - I need a depth sounder/fishfinder.

I think that we will go with the 160c Garmin. I know that the recommendation was with the 140 but Pat (the other half) reckons that colour is clearer than black and white.

Need to get the compass - Plastimo 90.
Isn't the 160c mainly for fresh water?

I'd go for a garmin 178c (thats gps, elec charts and depth + fish finder sorted)and link it to a radio. That covers most of it I think then add a 270E hand held radio for safety

But thats just me
__________________
bedajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2007, 14:12   #36
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post
Isn't the 160c mainly for fresh water?

I'd go for a garmin 178c (thats gps, elec charts and depth + fish finder sorted)and link it to a radio. That covers most of it I think then add a 270E hand held radio for safety

But thats just me
I would too-I've got the 178 b&W linked to an Icom and the only things I'd change is making the GPS a bit more intuitive on the more complicated settings and I'd go for colour.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2007, 14:46   #37
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 3,931
Sarah,

I have the 178 c. In my opinion look at a different spec unit. One that receives info from the radio and will plot your friends position. Not too sure which one I would recomend as I haven't used such a GPS but that is what I would be looking for. In my opinion its the only thing the 178 C is missing.

Sunlight is a killer on my 178 c.

I have also found the garmin to have a much better refresh/update rate of the map movement than the navman units I have seen.

Never easy I know buying electronic kit. The 178c is good but not perfect and as with everything price can often be the leading factor on purchasing.
__________________
http://www.xfire.com/download/
Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2007, 16:24   #38
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Nr Tring
Boat name: Braveheart
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: Tohatsu 140
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Sarah,

I have the 178 c. In my opinion look at a different spec unit. One that receives info from the radio and will plot your friends position. Not too sure which one I would recomend as I haven't used such a GPS but that is what I would be looking for. In my opinion its the only thing the 178 C is missing.

Sunlight is a killer on my 178 c.

I have also found the garmin to have a much better refresh/update rate of the map movement than the navman units I have seen.

Never easy I know buying electronic kit. The 178c is good but not perfect and as with everything price can often be the leading factor on purchasing.
I suppose that my worry is having more than one thing on a piece of electrical equipment. If I keep the depth sounder/fish finder separately, if the GPS fails, I have a back-up, I don't know perhaps you are more likely to lose everything rather than just one element.

I thought that the 160 c would do as the fish finder and then have - later when the bank manager has forgiven me - go something like the Standard Horizon CP180 as the GPS chartplotter. But I like the idea of tracking your friends - it has a 'we know where you are' element - I like that!
__________________
Build a system that even a fool can use, and only a fool will want to use it.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Sarah G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2007, 16:37   #39
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 3,931
As I said I haven't done the tracking bit. But you will need a DSC radio and a Chartplotter that will show DSC Position Polling Requests.

One for the future for me but not just now.

This one might do it. But don't quote me before you spend your pennies.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=148&pID=8053
__________________
http://www.xfire.com/download/
Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2007, 16:39   #40
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Nr Tring
Boat name: Braveheart
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: Tohatsu 140
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
As I said I haven't done the tracking bit. But you will need a DSC radio and a Chartplotter that will show DSC Position Polling Requests.

One for the future for me but not just now.

This one might do it. But don't quote me before you spend your pennies.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=148&pID=8053
Good plan. Do the Garmin or Standard Horizon have maps on them? I see that they all quote their maps but does the unit come with a map already installed and if so are this rubbish which is why you have to pay a load more cash for the better maps. Then do you have to pay loads to have them updated - like TomTom?
__________________

__________________
Build a system that even a fool can use, and only a fool will want to use it.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Sarah G is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.