Old 18 October 2013, 19:43   #1

Length: 4m +
Convert Evinrude E-tec 30 HP into electric start

Hi there,

I would like to convert my outboard into electric start, how easy it is? I have a steering console with throttle control but pull start only. How easy it is to convert it into electric start? what are the parts I need and how much would it cost roughly?

Thanks.
Old 18 October 2013, 20:07   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleekh View Post
Hi there,

I would like to convert my outboard into electric start, how easy it is? I have a steering console with throttle control but pull start only. How easy it is to convert it into electric start? what are the parts I need and how much would it cost roughly?

Thanks.
Depends, do you have the model & serial number, a piccie would be useful, preferably with the cowl off showing the port side of the engine under the flywheel.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2013, 20:53   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Depends, do you have the model & serial number, a piccie would be useful, preferably with the cowl off showing the port side of the engine under the flywheel.
i will take a photo tomorrow morning and let you review it, thanks.
Old 18 October 2013, 21:36   #4

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleekh View Post
i will take a photo tomorrow morning and let you review it, thanks.
Don't forget the model & serial number. These are both on a label on the transom bracket.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 19 October 2013, 20:53   #5

Quote:
Don't forget the model & serial number. These are both on a label on the transom bracket.
Hi Pikey Dave, i have now attached the 3 photos. Please review and let me know what you think. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	e-tec2.jpg
Views:	667
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	86526   Click image for larger version

Name:	e-tec1.jpg
Views:	1048
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	86527   Click image for larger version

Name:	e-tec3.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	86528  
Old 20 October 2013, 08:41   #6

Town: Cheshire
Boat name: Gollione
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Engine: 90hp
RIBase
Your photos don't show the flywheel under the black cowl so I can't tell if the flywheel has the starter ring gear that you would need. I doubt it does anyway as BRP Evinrude supply an electric start kit for the E-Tec30, part number 5007995 (which supercedes 5007740) and includes a new ring gear flywheel as well as all the other bits.
Ask your dealer for a price (and check the part number is correct for your model). It seems to be listed at $620 US plus taxes in the States.

Apparently you retain the manual start as well, but I don't know if the kit includes the battery charging option that you will probably need.
Old 20 October 2013, 09:40   #7

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcreate View Post
Your photos don't show the flywheel under the black cowl so I can't tell if the flywheel has the starter ring gear that you would need. I doubt it does anyway as BRP Evinrude supply an electric start kit for the E-Tec30, part number 5007995 (which supercedes 5007740) and includes a new ring gear flywheel as well as all the other bits.
Ask your dealer for a price (and check the part number is correct for your model). It seems to be listed at $620 US plus taxes in the States.

Apparently you retain the manual start as well, but I don't know if the kit includes the battery charging option that you will probably need.
+1 Looks like it will need a replacement flywheel as well. A quick ball park add up of all the required bits brings it to around $1000 give or take. + fitting + battery & leads. Knowing how the system works, if it costs a $1000 in the US, by the time it gets here & VAT & duty is added it will still be around the £1000 quid mark. Probably better to sell the engine as it is & buy an electric start version & put the grand into that. BRP seem to have taken down the online parts catalogue that you used to be able to browse, that would show all the necessary bits.
Old 20 October 2013, 10:20   #8

Town: Cheshire
Boat name: Gollione
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Engine: 90hp
RIBase
Quote:
+1 ............... Probably better to sell the engine as it is & buy an electric start version & put the grand into that. BRP seem to have taken down the online parts catalogue that you used to be able to browse, that would show all the necessary bits.
+1

I doubt if there is a low cost DIY solution to this unless you find 2nd hand parts or a scrap motor, you know one of these E-tec's that are always breaking down
Good luck with that search, I have seen just one (appeared 3 or 4 times) over the last year on the usual online sites.
Old 20 October 2013, 16:25   #9

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
I am not familiar enough with that engine to be of much help.

My own older Evinrude I was easily able to convert to electric start though. Mine already had everything needed for battery charging except a regulator which I bought from a motorcycle off ebay. Charges my AGM perfectly, but I also have a nice C-Tek charger for home to keep my battery topped up before every outing. My starter was $75 shipped from ebay brand new, and my boat already had a ring gear. The starter solenoid came from an online store, and the push button starter switch I picked up from West Marine one of our local boat parts suppliers. The only thing I would recommend is to get the wiring for the neutral safety switch, otherwise your boat will start in gear with the electric starter. Wiring was super easy, but time consuming to solder and shrink wrap everything.

I LOVE ELECTRIC START! It starts super easy first time even after having sat for weeks or a month.
Old 30 October 2013, 13:08   #10

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Only thought I will add to this pot is that there isn't too much you can do to radically alter a starter...

A trip through the microfiche might prove it is a carryover lump from an older engine...

BRP microfiche is still available, but needs some digging to find. Simple search is useless- go to their main site & drill down from there.
Old 03 November 2013, 15:02   #11

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Only thought I will add to this pot is that there isn't too much you can do to radically alter a starter...

A trip through the microfiche might prove it is a carryover lump from an older engine...

BRP microfiche is still available, but needs some digging to find. Simple search is useless- go to their main site & drill down from there.
I couldn't find the online parts catalogue on the BRP site, it isn't where it used to be, I wonder if they've removed it. If you find it , could you post a link please, cheers