Old 28 April 2004, 19:41   #21

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
Been looking at compasses on the web for the last hour or so. Came across these. they may be suitable for you especially the 70FBC or if you want a bracket,the 70BC.

http://www.silva.se/marine/prod_com/pow_start.htm

You could always get a bracket mount Plastimo Offshore. I saw an Danforth Skipper 2 compass in my chandlers today that had a very neat bracket for mounting at angles.
Old 28 April 2004, 19:48   #22

Town: Oban
Boat name: RIB Tickle
Make: Humber Assault
Length: 5.3m
Engine: Yamaha 60ETO,Tohatsu 3.5
I have said before that a fixed compass is not my cup of tea. I carry a small handheld in the spares box for emergencies along with laminated charts but use a plotter normally.
Don't think it is worthwhile using space or money to fit a fixed.
Old 28 April 2004, 19:49   #23

Town: Fareham
I don't think brackets for anything is a good idea on a RIB. With all that slam dunking it gets and peeps moving around in a heavy swell sooner or later things start falling off.

Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2004, 19:49   #24

Length: 5m +
MMSI: Nope
For what it's worth.....there was very little room on my console for loads of nav stuff...however...it's a good compass (plastimo) it reads pretty accurately when i remove the gps and fish finder. When i put the Gps on it swings 5 degrees left, so i switch on the fishy finder and it swings t'other way. Job done, good enough for rock and or roll.
Always carry a handheld iris compass for back up and proper compass use and also a water resistant chart in a waterproof pack.

Point is....on a fast moving boat like a rib (as others have said before me) it is very difficult to navigate with any real degree of accuracy with a steering compass...say within 5 - 10 degrees.
If you are in sight of land (which i am most of the time and i would imagine a fair proportion of us are) then you are far better off using a handheld if required and picking up transits on the land or water to steer to. This has the dual benefit of being 1...accurate and 2...gets your head up out of the boat and looking where you are going instead of at wobbly instruments.........
Here is a gratuitous picture of my eldest son modelling Tifino console.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tifino trip 090404 008.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	5386  
Old 28 April 2004, 19:58   #25

Town: Penzance
Boat name: Dark Angel
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5.85
Engine: Mariner 90HP Four Stroke
Nice white/chrome dials
Old 28 April 2004, 20:18   #26

Town: Port Logan
Boat name: Red Fox
Make: Zodiac Pro 500
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 70hp
MMSI: 232004329
Just got a Richie Explorer for the same price as a Trek, £34 instead of £48 from Nautequipe. Deal by phone if you can! If you fit a flush mount check that there is room underneath to fit it in and that the back of a dial is not directly under the hole you drill! Otherwise it won't fit flush. The Explorer has compensation magnets as well.
Old 28 April 2004, 21:27   #27

Town: Beverley
Boat name: TBA
Make: Unknown
Engine: Tohatsu 8Hp
One more point, some compasses are sold specifically for 'sports boats' and these are more heavily damped than those intended for slower displacment vessels, make sure you go for one of these.

"I'm not lost, I'm exploring...."
roohairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2007, 12:11   #28

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Mini C

Hi Andy, I know this is a v.old topic however I am in the same situation at the moment and have to mount my compass on a 45degree angle, How did you find the Mini C? Did you get much interference from the other instrumnents?

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
I too am looking to buy a compass. Can't fit one on the console but was restricted to a 45 deg angle on the front LH side of the console (like fiirst photo).

The only option was for flush mount and the only compass I've found that'll fit there is the Mini C from Plastimo. What I'm worried about is the lack of compensation this budget compass has.

Do I need compensation if using a GPS? I've got GPS Chartplotter, could I work out from the heading on the GPS what the deviation is, to make a note of it and use the correction when I come to use the compass?

Andy
Old 04 February 2007, 13:44   #29

Town: Fareham
Do a search for local suppliers. Should be fairly easy to find a dealer. I used a local Chandlers and it's what they had in stock at the time. As for deviation, I had none when I initially fitted it and I had a vhf just above it, a gps and a depth finder all above. Then I bought an 8 spoke SS steering wheel and had loads of problems and would swing violently one way then the other as I turned. I took this into work and demagged it in a machine I have in the workshop and that cured the problem.

In my new RIB I'm thinking of not fitting a permanent compass but keeping a hand held one for emergancies and using GPS as my primary nav. I think that accurate compass use is pretty usless on a RIB espetially in rough wether.

Hope this helps.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote