Old 28 April 2004, 11:25   #11

Boat name: Seascaper
Make: Hurricane 640
Length: 6.7
Engine: Volvo Penta AD31DP
You will find the compass easier use if it mounted in front of the helmsman, not off to one side otherwise you might have a tendancy to steer around in circles.

Old 28 April 2004, 11:30   #12

Town: Nutbourne
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porter
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140 Tohatsu
MMSI: 235022904
[QUOTE=Jackwabbit]Donít under estimate to power of a conventional compass.
QUOTE]

Absolutly right.
In my young and foolish days I navigated a 32ft yacht from St Malo to Hamble with only with a compass and depth sounder. Thick fog all the way and the log died 5nM out of St Malo. It took a while and we did some extra miles to be sure we did not get run over or hit something. BTW this epic voyage predated DECCA let alown GPS.

Old 28 April 2004, 12:43   #13

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
[QUOTE=Mark Halliday]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackwabbit
Don’t under estimate to power of a conventional compass.
QUOTE]

Absolutly right.
In my young and foolish days I navigated a 32ft yacht from St Malo to Hamble with only with a compass and depth sounder. Thick fog all the way and the log died 5nM out of St Malo. It took a while and we did some extra miles to be sure we did not get run over or hit something. BTW this epic voyage predated DECCA let alown GPS.
Don't get me wrong a compass is an essential aid to navigation for yachts, mobos etc as is the ability to do "steam" navigation with charts, tidal diamonds, leeway, eps, dr etc etc. However there is a world of difference between that and an open and high speed boat like a RIB.

SWGINN you are welcome! At the end of the day it comes down to personal preference and if you want a traditional compass fit the largest and best damped one you can. And as Lester says fit it in your line of sight for easy viewing whilst driving. Mebbe on the front of the console on a gimbal mount so you look over the top of the console at it?

Cheers, Alan
Old 28 April 2004, 12:55   #14

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
And Lester should know, I have followed him in circles on more than one occasion! Alan P
Old 28 April 2004, 13:02   #15

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Ap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Priddy
And Lester should know, I have followed him in circles on more than one occasion! Alan P
Isn't there a quote from Clive in his book about the compass being a convenient thing to hang your baseball cap on and thats about it or am I imagining things Alan?!

Old 28 April 2004, 14:53   #16
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
Gonna stick my neck out here and say none of 'em & you should get a digital one
Well I would just get the biggest Plastimo Offshore that you can fit on the console. I would have it directly in front of the helmsman too, with the GPS and other bits and pieces relegated to the sides.

I used to have an electronic compass (a Ritchie as far as I can remember) and didn't get on with it at all. I have heard good reviews of the KVH one though.

John
Old 28 April 2004, 15:06   #17

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
Well I would just get the biggest Plastimo Offshore that you can fit on the console. I would have it directly in front of the helmsman too, with the GPS and other bits and pieces relegated to the sides.
I'm with John on this one.

Alan - the Plastimo 105 on Blue Ice is really excellent - Used it properly last year when the chartplotter was on the blink. IMHO it's a good idea to have at least one instrument that's not dependent on the 12v system.

Also see: Which compass
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2004, 15:09   #18

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
Thanks all!! I was thinking along the lines of a Plastimo after seeing them today. I can probably mess about a bit with the GPS and make room to mount it in the middle. I was thinking of getting the Offshore 90 (its on special at my chandlers!!) I'll have to have a look at the 105 though and see what size it is first, if I can fit it I'll get it. Is there any advantage in using a bracket mount compass instead of a flush mount bearing in mind that I'm going to mount it on horizontal surface. The only one I can think of is that the bracket may damp vibrations, or am I being too particular.

thanks guys,

Steve
Old 28 April 2004, 15:14   #19

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
I'd go for flush mount if possible - brackets can only add to the wobble. Good compasses are well damped with their fluid.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2004, 15:25   #20

Town: Fareham
I too am looking to buy a compass. Can't fit one on the console but was restricted to a 45 deg angle on the front LH side of the console (like fiirst photo).

The only option was for flush mount and the only compass I've found that'll fit there is the Mini C from Plastimo. What I'm worried about is the lack of compensation this budget compass has.

Do I need compensation if using a GPS? I've got GPS Chartplotter, could I work out from the heading on the GPS what the deviation is, to make a note of it and use the correction when I come to use the compass?

Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote