Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
cheap spotlight

I bought the above on the 'well known' shopping site, I know!! Anyway it arrived and has no bulb, just one wire from casing with spade joint i suppose for the bulb housing. Ther is no exrenal wiring and no instructions. I contacted seller who says they sell them like that so you can use them for both 12 & 24v. I am not to handy at electrics anyone help re bulb and wiring. I would be most grateful.
Happy ribbing.
J
Old 24 November 2008, 16:06   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Seems to me that something sold as a "spotlight" should have some method of emitting photons, or it wouldn't be a "light".

Can't the seller suggest a bulb type and part number (and a place to purchase)?

I remember seeing some kind of bulb with a pigtail (may have been something other than halogen - probably HID), but can't find them now (not much help, sorry.)

If it were me, it would be on the way back to the seller as a deceptively advertised product. Handheld spotlights in retail shops aren't all that expensive.

jky
Old 24 November 2008, 18:16   #3

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Without photos its hard but it sounds like its designed for mounting on a car which will act as your earth and then the other wire to your live wire.
Old 25 November 2008, 20:46   #4

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Hi Chewy
yea that , is what I thought. It has a metal footplat for anchoring with 2 pre-bored holes, but inside on the casing it has a bare spade leading to the switch mechanism then out to the only wire wich has a lenght to enable it to go to the hole for the bulb. So you think I could singe live to the casing swithch and make sure I get a good contact for the base plate on the 'a' frame or do I earth it in some other way?
Cheers thanks for your time appreciated.
Happy ribbing.
Billy
Old 25 November 2008, 21:56   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
Hi Chewy
yea that , is what I thought. It has a metal footplat for anchoring with 2 pre-bored holes, but inside on the casing it has a bare spade leading to the switch mechanism then out to the only wire wich has a lenght to enable it to go to the hole for the bulb. So you think I could singe live to the casing swithch and make sure I get a good contact for the base plate on the 'a' frame or do I earth it in some other way?
Cheers thanks for your time appreciated.
Happy ribbing.
Billy
It sounds like you need to make a lead up, have you got a pic or the ebay number. Or is there a friendly sparky in your street even a guy who works on his own car etc should be able to help

Jim