Old 02 May 2011, 08:59   #1

Town: Looe - Plymouth
Boat name: Teal
Make: Coastline
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard Petrol 175
MMSI: 235087776
Chartplotter & PC Passage Planner, Advice Please

I am looking to get a new Chartplotter in preparation for a round GB cruise in September.
Without knowing any better, I want to plan each days passage from a laptop in the evenings then transfer waypoints and the passage plan to the chartplotter in the morning. To save on time and errors from mistyping, can anyone suggest a good combination of Chartplotter and passage planning software that will seamlessly link together to make the planning a breeze!

Someone has already advised that Navionics provide free software for their charts, has anyone got any experiance of how it all goes together.

Any advice will be apprehiated. Thanks
Old 02 May 2011, 09:14   #2

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Predictably, Garmin.

The 451, 551, 556 and 750 all now come with UK and Ireland charts pre-programmed (proper Bluechart ones, not the worlwide basemap). So this frees up the SD card slot for transfering waypoints and routes between your boat and your laptop, the planning software is free if you buy from us. You can also get the full charts on your PC.

You would be able to look at your previous day's track, average speeds etc. Then plan the next day and save it all to a card that your chartplotter uses during the passages.
Old 02 May 2011, 10:09   #3

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
I concur with Channel Ribs. Although I'm sure Navionics is similar, I use the Garmin setup and once you've got the hang of their slightly weird Homeport software, it'll do everything you want.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2011, 10:23   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
I use Navionics stuff, chart card (card28P covers all UK and Ireland and a good bit of France/Belgium etc) and associated Navplanner software for the PC.
It does all of what you want, the PC software, although free, is limited (does route planning and transfer to your card, but doesnt show pilot book or photos of harbours etc.).
You will need the card (28P), card reader and cable to connect to PC and, of course the downloadable PC software.
Old 02 May 2011, 23:40   #5

Town: Looe - Plymouth
Boat name: Teal
Make: Coastline
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard Petrol 175
MMSI: 235087776
Thanks for the advice. I'll be in touch soon for some Garmin prices.
Old 03 May 2011, 13:28   #6

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Another curve ball......

Assuming you already have a plotter with whatever map is in there, Memorymap will do all the waypoint / route stuff & squirt it down a wire / export to an SD card the waypoints & routes you have been messing about with. Should work with most satnav devices. (I got it talking & listening to a Garmin 12 handheld!) Waypoints & routes to the handheld, later that evening got it all back in along with the snail trail.

Only down side to this plan is the "all admiralty charts of Britain for £40" deal is long gone...