Old 22 September 2016, 12:05   #11

Town: Oop North
Length: 3m +
I've got a Lowrance Elite 7Ti which I use in an F-rib. Touchscreen is way superior, navigation through the menus is faster and easier, even on the move with one hand on the tiller.
Never had any problems when the screen is wet, and that's a regular occurance when I'm fishing. If the screen gets a bit mucky I just put it on screenlock and give it a wipe with a cloth.

Old 22 September 2016, 12:18   #12

Town: Glasgow
Make: Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki df200
i have both types on my rib and you can't win.

i would pick the one with the features you want in the budget you like and be happy.

there are pros and cons to each and wouldn't get hung up on it either way.

Old 22 September 2016, 12:47   #13

Town: blackpool
Boat name: Fast Forward
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315 Yanmar
We did have problems with touch screen on round Ireland but the conditions were extreme.I think for normal ribbing touch screens are ok. To hedge our bets we have fitted a touchscreen Garmin backed up with separate joystick unit on Fast Forward ,this gives us the best of both worlds
Old 22 September 2016, 12:55   #14

Town: London
Boat name: Alexis
Make: White Shark
Engine: Yamaha Offshore 300
I have the Garmin 7410xsv and the touchscreen is magic. It makes it very easy to scale the chart size in and out (you just "pinch" the screen like its a big iPhone or an iPad) and switching between different screens and functions is easy. It works fine when soaking wet so I am not sure where that comes from, maybe affects other makes more.

True it is difficult to operate accurately when bouncing along at 50 knots, but that would be true with small physical buttons as well. Should probably be watching the water ahead in that case anyway.
Old 28 September 2016, 14:24   #15

To me having touch screen is a no-brainer, and counter intuitive to not have it these days.

However the touch screen units are still very expensive. So after much research, thought and agonising I went for a non-touch screen model; a Garmin echomap 95SV.

By all accounts I have seen the echomaps are awesome devices, as are the gpsmaps with touchscreen.

I simply could not justify the considerable extra money on the touchscreen versions and decided to keep the difference back for other essential stuff. I am already pushing the budget with the new boat which is starting to be built this week !

I did however pay the relatively small price premium to go for the Echomap 95 over the 75, giving me a 9" screen over 7".

I may well live to regret this decision....but....my reckoning is that in the next year or two the price premium for touchscreen plotters will plummet. So will review then.

Personally I wish Garmin would release a separate module that provides buttons, and the module plugs into back of touch screen plotter. The button module can then be mounted anywhere in the cockpit to suit.

I am however getting the Mercury Gateway which provides engine data over NMEA2000 for display on the plotter. This option was cheap and carries over to any plotter upgrade.
Old 28 September 2016, 14:27   #16

there is no way prices are plummeting, the tech will simply get better and you keep paying top whack for the best kit. also, it is a boat, prices NEVER go down.
Old 28 September 2016, 14:32   #17

Prices of tech always comes down in relative terms, regardless of market sector. Touch screens get cheaper all the time as they become more ubiquitous and commoditised.

Sure new models will come out with new bells and whistles and prices remain higher. But at the same time, the stuff at bottom end inherits the not so new bells and whistles...
Old 28 September 2016, 14:35   #18

sure if you want 5 year old tech it will be less, but they have a habbit of discontinuing things to keep prices where they are.

B.O.A.T.....Break Out Another Thousand

not a chance we will be paying less for the best stuff in a couple of years, why....because it is the marine sector and not the volume of say a mobile phone (my new note was £750 btw so price not coming down there mores the pity)
Old 28 September 2016, 14:37   #19

OK we'll see then. My money is on the higher end Echomap devices (75, 95) either getting touchscreens for similar money, or being replaced by GPSMAP, in the next 1 - 2 seasons.
Old 28 September 2016, 14:44   #20

touch screens being better is very subjective. i have one of each and in good weather the touchscreen is good but in normal UK weather the buttons one is better. i don't think we are close to a full touch screen line up, certainly not in 1-2 seasons.

oh btw, both my plotters are garmin so i do have experience of them.